|Wanindu Hasaranga Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||July 29, 1997|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Wanindu Hasaranga is a Sri Lankan professional cricketer who has represented his country in all 3 formats of the sport (Tests, ODIs, and T20Is), as an all-rounder. Before breaking into the senior national team in July 2017, he had represented Sri Lanka at the 2016 Under-19 ICC Cricket World Cup, where the team had finished in 4th place in the 16-team competition. In the Sri Lankan domestic circuit, he has played for the Colombo Cricket Club (2015–Present) across all 3 formats. At the franchise level, he has turned out for the Jaffna Kings (formerly known as Jaffna Stallions) (2020-2021) and Kandy Falcons (2022) in the LPL (Lanka Premier League). He was an integral member of the team’s squad that had won the LPL title in both 2020 and 2021. In the first of those seasons, he had scalped 17 wickets and was named the ‘Player of the Tournament’. Outside of Sri Lanka, he has also turned out for Sylhet Sixers (2017) in the BPL (Bangladesh Premier League) and Royal Challengers Bangalore (2021) in the IPL (Indian Premier League).
Pinnaduwage Wanindu Hasaranga de Silva
Galle, Southern Province, Sri Lanka
Wanindu had attended Richmond College, a primary and secondary school in Galle.
- Siblings – Chaturanga de Silva (Older Brother) (Professional Cricketer)
- Others – Nirma de Silva (Sister-in-Law)
- 49 – One Day International (ODI), T20 International (T20I)
- 13, 49 – Jaffna Kings (formerly known as Jaffna Stallions) (LPL)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Sri Lankan descent.
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped, spiked hair
- Sports a thick beard
Wanindu Hasaranga Facts
- At the 2016 Under-19 ICC Cricket World Cup, Wanindu was Sri Lanka’s best bowler in their last group stage match, against Pakistan, picking up 2 wickets for 30 runs in a 23-run defeat. In the team’s next match, the quarter-final against England, he had again been the team’s leading bowler, recording figures of 3/34 in a 6-wicket win.
- In November 2017, he was named the ‘Most Promising Player in Domestic Cricket’ for the 2016–17 season at Sri Lanka Cricket‘s annual awards ceremony.
- With 765 runs in 9 matches, he was the leading run-scorer for Colombo Cricket Club in the 2018–19 season of the Premier League Tournament (a part of the main domestic first-class cricket competition in Sri Lanka).
- In July 2017, on his ODI debut, in a match against Zimbabwe, he had taken the final 3 Zimbabwean wickets in 3 consecutive deliveries, becoming the youngest bowler in history to take a hat-trick on ODI debut. He was just the 3rd debutant in ODI history to have achieved this feat after Taijul Islam and Kagiso Rabada. He had also become the first leg-spinner ever to take a hat-trick in an ODI match.
- In September 2019, in a bilateral away T20I series against Pakistan, he had picked up 8 wickets in 3 matches and had been named the ‘Player of the Series’. It was Sri Lanka’s first-ever win against Pakistan in a T20I bilateral series. It was also the first time in a 3-match T20I series that Sri Lanka had won 3–0.
- During IPL (Indian Premier League) 2022 mega auction, in February 2022, Hasaranga was bought by Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) for INR 10.75 crore.
Featured Image by Wanindu Hasaranga / Instagram