|Wayne Gretzky Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||January 26, 1961|
Wayne Gretzky is a Canadian former professional ice hockey player, actor, and ice hockey head coach, widely regarded as the greatest hockey player in history by many, including the National Hockey League (NHL) itself. Throughout his 21-year-career, he has played for Indianapolis Racers (1978) in the WHA and Edmonton Oilers (1979–1988), Los Angeles Kings (1988–1996), St. Louis Blues (1996), and New York Rangers (1996–1999) in the NHL.
Wayne Douglas Gretzky
The Great One, The White Tornado, The Great Gretzky, Gretz
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
He attended Ross Sheppard School in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Wayne also attended West Humber Collegiate Institute in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Former Professional Ice Hockey Player, Actor, Ice Hockey Head Coach
- Father – Walter “Wally” Gretzky
- Mother – Phyllis Leone (Hockin)
- Siblings – Kim Gretzky (Younger Sister), Keith Gretzky (Younger Brother), Brent Gretzky (Younger Brother), Glen Gretzky (Younger Brother)
- Others – Ville Kurri (Godson), Joonas Kurri (Goddaughter), Terentiy/Anton Lavrentievich Gritzko/Gretzky (Paternal Grandfather), Pauline Maria/Mary Khodenetsky (Paternal Grandmother), Harold Seymour Hockin (Maternal Grandfather), Betty Leone Cook (Maternal Grandmother), Lavrentiy Gritzko/Gretcki (Paternal Great-Grandfather), Nastasia (Paternal Great-Grandmother), Harold Herbert Hockin (Maternal Great-Grandfather), Mabel Ellen Brock (Maternal Great-Grandmother), Adam Edward “Ed” Cook (Maternal Great-Grandfather), Muriel Leona Biggs/Briggs (Maternal Great-Grandmother)
Wayne Gretzky is represented by –
- Phoenix Coyotes (Company) in Glendale, Arizona, United States
- International Management Group (IMG) (Talent Agent) in New York City, New York, United States
99 – Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, St. Louis Blues, New York Rangers
6 ft or 183 cm
84 kg or 185 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Wayne Gretzky has dated –
- Vicki Moss (1979-1986) – He was in a relationship with the singer for 7 years. At that time, he played for Edmonton Oilers, and Vicki’s brother Joey Moss was a locker room attendant for both Edmonton Oilers and Edmonton Eskimos.
- Janet Jones (1987-Present) – Wayne met the American actress for the 1st time at the Merv Griffin’s show Dance Fever in 1984. However, the romance did not blossom until they met again at a Los Angeles Lakers game in 1987. A year later, after Wayne proposed to her via a phone call, on July 17, 1988, they tied the knot at a St. Joseph’s Basilica, with a broadcast across Canada. Their firstborn daughter, a model, and singer, Paulina Gretzky (b. December 19, 1988) gave birth to their grandson named Tatum Gretzky Johnson on January 19, 2015. They also have 4 other children – 3 sons named Ty Robert (b. July 9, 1990), Trevor Douglas (b. September 14, 1992), and Tristan Wayne (b. August 2, 2000), and a daughter named Emma Marie (b. March 28, 2003). All of their 5 children were born at the Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles, California, United States.
Race / Ethnicity
Wayne has Belarusian, Ukrainian, and possibly Polish ancestry on his paternal side, and English and some Irish ancestry on his maternal side.
He has also dyed his hair ‘Black,’ ‘Blonde,’ and ‘Light Brown.’
Wayne Gretzky has appeared in the advertisements and TV commercials for –
- Automotive Group of Southern California
- Sharp Viewcam Camcorder
- Sugar Crisps
- Tylenol Arthritis Formula
- Post Honeycomb
- General Mills/Canada Pro Stars (1985)
- Diet Coke (1989)
- Nike (1989)
- ESPN’s Sportscenter (2000)
- Bud Light (2000)
- CBC (2002)
- Qwest Telecommunications (2003)
- Ford Motor Company (2003)
- JVC (2004)
- Bigelow Green Tea (2010-2011)
Wayne Gretzky Facts
- Canada awarded him the title of the O.C. (Officer of the Order of Canada) on June 25, 1984, for his services and contributions to sports.
- He is an owner of a casual restaurant and sports bar, also dedicated to his achievements and memorabilia titled Wayne Gretzky’s Toronto. He and his father have been known to visit on occasion. Unfortunately, it was announced that it would be closed down in 2020 and replaced by a 40-story condo with 500 residential units.
- Wayne tried to copyright his shirt number, 99, but failed. He did manage to change the address of his restaurant to 99 Blue Jays Way. NHL also retired the number from use and it became the only number to be retired league-wide.
- It was claimed that he had extraordinary stamina and that “time slowed down for him.” Wayne stated he didn’t have a God-given gift but rather a Wally-given gift. His dad, nicknamed Wally, brilliantly coached him from a young age to predict and anticipate his and his opponents’ moves.
- As of February 2020, Wayne has more assists (1,963) than any other NHL player has total points (goals plus assists).
- Wayne was inducted into the Hockey Hockey Hall of Fame in 1999. He bypassed the 3-year waiting period and the Hall announced the waiting period would not be waived for any future player ever.
- In December 2020, Wayne’s rookie card from O-Pee-Chee was auctioned for $1.29 million which is a record as it became the first hockey card to be sold at that high price.
Featured Image by Håkan Dahlström / Flickr / CC BY-2.0