Detroit, Michigan, United States
Chicago, United States
He did his schooling from Naperville Central High School in suburban Chicago.
In 2003, Joe graduated from Southern Illinois University at Carbondale in Illinois with a Bachelor’s degree. He did filmmaking in his majors.
Film director, screenwriter, actor, film producer
- Father – Engineer
- Mother – Housewife
- Siblings – Unknown
6 ft 3 in or 191 cm
90 kg or 198.5 pounds
Girlfriend / Spouse
Joe Swanberg dated –
- Kris Swanberg (2007-Present) – Joe Swanberg married American filmmaker and actress Kris Williams on June 30, 2007. The couple have two children.
Race / Ethnicity
He has small Swedish ancestry.
- Improvisation use
- Often casts Anna Kendrick and Jake Johnson
- Makes low-budget movies
His body specifications may be –
- Chest – 43 in or 109 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 15 in or 38 cm
- Waist – 34 in or 86 cm
He does not have any brand endorsements to his credit.
Best Known For
He is best known as a director, producer, and writer for movies like LOL (2006), Silver Bullets (2011), All the Light in the Sky (2012), Drinking Buddies (2013), Happy Christmas (2014) and Digging for Fire (2015).
He has also acted in some of these movies including LOL, Silver Bullets and Drinking Buddies.
Swanberg made his directorial debut in 2005 with Kissing on the Mouth. The movie was also his first independent production.
His debut acting performance was in the 2005 movie Kissing on the Mouth in which he portrayed the character of Patrick.
First TV Show
As an actor, he first appeared in the drama series Young American Bodies from 2007 to 2009 for his role as Ben. He appeared in a total of 23 episodes.
He does not have a personal trainer.
Joe Swanberg Favorite Things
- Filmmakers – Coen Brothers, Sam Raimi, Quentin Tarantino, Jim Jarmusch, Hal Hartley, Spike Lee
- Movie – Raising Arizona (1987)
- Music Album – Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? (By Of Montreal)
- Books – Needful Things (By Stephen King), White Noise (By Don DeLillo), Founding Brothers (By Joseph J. Ellis)
- Comedian – Louis C.K., Chris Rock
- Musician – David Byrne, Paul Simon
- Author – Don DeLillo, Philip Roth
- Actor – Joaquin Phoenix, Rosemarie DeWitt
Joe Swanberg Facts
- Joe Swanberg spent most of his childhood in Georgia and Alabama.
- In school, he worked as a web designer to make money to finance his own films.
- He also worked as a travel coordinator at the Chicago International Film Festival without any formal training before becoming famous.
- He is a home beer brewer and his wife gifted him the brewing setup on his birthday.
- Swanberg is a noted supporter of distribution of independent films through the internet and so his 2011 movie Marriage Material is available on his Vimeo page for free.
- Swanberg shot Happy Christmas (2014) on a 16 mm film (instead of digital).
- Most of the movies he makes are focused on technology, sex, relationships and filmmaking.
- Swanberg is a noted supporter of the mumblecore film movement.
- He is not on social media.
- You can visit his official website.