|David Byrne Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||May 14, 1952|
|Eye Color||Light Brown|
David Byrne is a Scottish-American singer, songwriter, record producer, actor, writer, music theorist, and filmmaker who is best known as the founding member and the lead songwriter, singer, and guitarist of the American new wave band Talking Heads. Besides music, he was worked with various media including film, photography, opera, and writing. He has won an Academy award, 2 Grammy awards, and a Golden Globe award for his work. He has also been inducted to the ‘Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’ as a member of Talking Heads.
Dumbarton, West Dunbartonshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
New York City, New York, United States
He holds dual nationality.
David had attended the Lansdowne High School in Baltimore, Maryland. After his high school graduation, he had joined the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), a private art and design school in Providence, Rhode Island, in 1970. In 1971, he had taken a transfer to the Maryland Institute College of Art, a private art and design college in Baltimore, Maryland. He had eventually dropped out to pursue a career in music.
Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer, Actor, Writer, Music Theorist, Filmmaker
- Father – Thomas ‘Tom’ Byrne (Electronics Engineer)
- Mother – Emily ‘Emma’ Anderson (Teacher)
- Siblings – Celia Byrne (Younger Sister) (Epidemiologist)
- Others – William ‘Willie’ Brown (Maternal Grandfather), Sarah (Maternal Grandmother)
Rock, New Wave, Art Pop, Worldbeat, Electronic
Vocals, Guitar, Keyboards
- Todo Mundo
- Luaka Bop
- Nonesuch Records
- Thrill Jockey
- Sire Records
- Warner Records Inc.
David Byrne’s net worth had been $40 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
6 ft or 183 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
David has dated –
- Andrea Kovacs (1974-1976)
- Mary Clarke (1976-1978)
- Lynn Goldsmith (1980-1981)
- Toni Basil (1981)
- Twyla Tharp (1981–1982)
- Adelle Lutz (1982–2004) – David had first met costume designer Adelle Lutz in 1982 while he was on a visit to Japan. They began dating soon after and got married in 1987. They have a daughter together named Malu Abeni Valentine Byrne (b. 1989). The couple got divorced in 2004.
- Louise Neri
- Cindy Sherman (2007–2011)
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Scottish and Irish descent.
- Lanky frame
- Side-parted, wavy hair
- Clean-shaven look
David Byrne Facts
- When David was 2 years old, his family had moved to Canada and settled in Hamilton, Ontario. When he was 8 years old, they had relocated to the United States and settled down in Arbutus, Maryland.
- The reason behind the family’s emigration from Scotland was because of a lack of jobs in the United Kingdom relevant to his father’s skills. Another major reason was that there was a lot of tension between his parents’ families due to their ‘mixed marriage’. They belonged to different Christian denominations – his father was Catholic while his mother was Presbyterian.
- One of the middle names of his daughter, Malu, is Abeni. It translates to ‘We asked for her and she came to us’ in Nigerian. He had revealed that his daughter was born after a lot of struggle and a friend had introduced him to the term ‘Abeni’ which he used in naming his daughter.
- He is left-handed but plays guitar right-handed.
Featured Image by David Byrne / Instagram