Nelly Kim Neto Furtado
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
In 1996, Nelly graduated from Mount Douglas Secondary School in Saanich, British Columbia, Canada.
Singer, songwriter, actress
- Father – António José Furtado
- Mother – Maria Manuela (Worked as motel cleaner)
- Siblings – Michael Anthony Furtado (Brother), Lisa Anne Furtado (Sister)
Furtado is signed to several talent agencies –
- Chris Smith Management Inc.
- The Feldman Agency
Pop, dance-pop, folk, hip hop, Latin pop, R&B, world
Vocals, bass guitar, guitar, keyboard, piano, trombone, ukulele
DreamWorks, Geffen, Interscope, Mosley, Universal Music Latino
5 ft 2½ in or 159 cm
55 kg or 121 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Nelly Furtado dated –
- Ashton Kutcher – Nelly and American actor Ashton Kutcher dated in the past. Both the stars have admitted to have kissed each other, once or twice. Ashton have also taken her to some expensive dates. But, still, their relationship didn’t go any further.
- Jasper Gahunia (2001-2005) – Known for Gravity of Center (2011), Project Runway Spotlight: Marchesa (2012), Jasper Gahunia is a composer, who dated Nelly from 2001 to 2005. Together, the couple also have a daughter, named Nevis Chetan, who was born on September 20, 2003 in Toronto, Canada.
- Demo Castellon (2006-Present) – Cuban-American sound engineer, Demo Castellon started dating Furtado in January 2006. The duo engaged on July 6, 2007 and married on July 19, 2008.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Portuguese ancestry through both of her parents.
This is because of an interview given to Genre magazine in June 2006, where she showed positive response in terms of attraction to women.
However, Nelly describes herself as “straight”.
- Mixed ethnicity
- Often wears doorknocker earrings
36-24-36 in or 91.5-61-81 cm
6 (US) or 36 (EU)
Her shoe size is speculated to be 8 (US).
In 2007, she appeared in a Canadian TV commercial where she promoted the “Turn Out the Light”.
Best Known For
Her singing skills and singles such as “I’m Like a Bird” and “Turn Off the Light” from her debut album. She also won a Grammy award for the single “I’m Like a Bird” in 2002.
Furtado released her debut album Whoa, Nelly! on October 24, 2000 via DreamWorks Records. The album charted at #2 in Canada and UK, #24 in U.S., #5 in New Zealand, #14 in Germany and many others.
She was able to sell 8,000,000 copies of the album worldwide. It was certified as 2x Platinum in U.S., 4x Platinum in Canada, 2x Platinum in Australia and others.
Nelly Furtado appeared in 2008 American neo-noir action film Max Payne for her role as Christa Balder (wife of Max Payne’s slain ex-partner).
The film is loosely based on the video game of the same name.
First TV Show
In 2001, Nelly guest appeared in The WB’s science fiction television series Roswell as herself, where she performed the single “I’m like a Bird”.
Furtado used to hit the gym couple of years back. She wanted to look good in her body for the photo shoots. But, now her vision has changed and she works out for herself, and not for aesthetic purposes.
She eats in the right manner and works out to make her heart (including other body parts) healthy.
Nelly Furtado Favorite Things
- Food – Choco-chip cookies
- Accessory – Doorknocker earrings
Source – Swagger NY
Nelly Furtado Facts
- She has been named after Nellie Kim (Russian gymnast).
- Her parents are Portuguese, who immigrated to Canada in the late 1960s.
- She started singing in Portuguese at the age of four.
- Furtado started writing songs at 12 and started learning to play various musical instruments at 9.
- She used to smoke as a teenager.
- On February 28, 2014, Nelly was given “Commander of the Order of Prince Henry” award by President of the Portuguese Republic in Toronto, Canada.
- Nelly’s biggest musical influence was “Ani DiFranco”, while growing up.
- She used to listen wide variety of music in her childhood such as R&B, alternative hip hop, Portuguese, Brazilian, Indian and others.
- Visit her official website @ www.nellyfurtado.com.
- Connect with Nelly on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and Google+.