|Ajay Thakur Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||May 1, 1986|
Ajay Thakur is an Indian professional kabaddi player who is widely acknowledged as one of the finest kabaddi players produced by India and one of the best raiders in the sport. Representing India, he clinched the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2016 Ahmedabad Kabaddi World Cup, the 2014 Incheon Asian Games, the 2017 Gorgan Asian Kabaddi Championship, the 2018 Dubai Kabaddi Masters, and the 2007 Incheon Asian Indoor Games. He also secured the ‘Bronze’ medal at the 2018 Jakarta Asian Games. A former captain of the Indian national kabaddi team, he was honored with the Padma Shri (the 4th-highest civilian honor in India) and the Arjuna Award (the 2nd-highest sporting honor in India) in 2019 by the Government of India.
Ice Man, King of kabaddi, Flying Thakur
Dabhota, Nalagarh, Solan, Himachal Pradesh, India
Solan, Himachal Pradesh, India
Ajay had attended the Post Graduate College, a Government college in his hometown of Nalagarh. The institution is affiliated with the Himachal Pradesh University, a public state university in the state’s capital city of Shimla.
Professional Kabaddi Player
- Father – Chottu Ram (Kabaddi Coach, Former Kabaddi Player)
- Mother – Rajinder Kaur
- Siblings – Amit Thakur (Brother)
- Others – Rakesh (Cousin) (Former Kabaddi Player)
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ajay has dated –
- Sandeep Rana (2019-Present) – Ajay got married to Sandeep Rana on April 10, 2019, in a simple ceremony held at Jogo village in his hometown of Nalagarh. The couple has a daughter together named Anaya Thakur.
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Close-cropped hair
- Clean-shaven look
- Affable smile
Ajay Thakur Facts
- He was inspired to pursue a career as a kabaddi player by his cousin Rakesh who had already represented India in the sport at the international level when Ajay was in his youth.
- In the Pro Kabaddi League (PKL), a men’s professional kabaddi league in India that was launched in 2014, he has represented Bengaluru Bulls (2014-2015), Puneri Paltan (2016-2017), Tamil Thalaivas (2017-2020), and Dabang Delhi (2021-2022).
- Domestically, he has turned out for his home state of Himachal Pradesh. He has also represented his former employer Air India (the flag carrier airline of India) at the Industrial National Championships.
- In India’s ‘Gold’ medal triumph at the 2016 Ahmedabad Kabaddi World Cup, Ajay was one of the stars of the tournament. He was the top raider in the tournament and had also accumulated the overall highest number of points (68) in the tournament.
- In the final of that tournament, against Iran, the Indian team was trailing on points. Ajay bailed his team out of this tricky situation by scoring a 4-point raid to take India into the lead. He was eventually named the ‘Player of the Tournament’.
- In parallel with his proficient career in kabaddi, he has also served as a member of the Himachal Pradesh Police Service cadre. As of August 2022, his rank was DSP (Deputy Superintendent of Police), a rank used by several police forces in the Commonwealth. The rank is usually above assistant superintendent and below superintendent.
Featured Image by Ajay Thakur / Instagram