|Marco Jansen Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||May 1, 2000|
|Eye Color||Light Brown|
Marco Jansen is a South African professional cricketer who had come into the spotlight in February 2021 when he was acquired by 5-time IPL (Indian Premier League) champions Mumbai Indians at the year’s IPL auction. A virtual unknown until then, he was picked up for his base price of INR 20 lakhs and had played the first 2 games for the team that year, recording impressive figures of 2/28 and 0/17 in those matches. In January 2021, he had been added to South Africa’s extended test match squad, as a reserve player, for their bilateral series against Pakistan. In the South African domestic circuit, he has played for his home province North West (2018), and the franchise teams Knights (2019-2020) and Warriors (2020-2021), across all 3 formats. In 2019, he had also been selected for the Durban Heat squad for the year’s MSL (Mzansi Super League), South Africa’s premier T20 tournament.
Klerksdorp, North West Province, South Africa
Marco had attended the Laerskool Goudkop, a primary school in his hometown of Klerksdorp. He had later studied at the Potchefstroom Gimnasium, a public Afrikaans-medium high School in Potchefstroom, North West Province, South Africa.
- Father – Jacoubous ‘Koos’ Jansen (Former Rugby Union Player)
- Mother – Erna Pretorius (Former Netball Player)
- Siblings – Duan Jansen (Twin Brother) (Professional Cricketer), Bianca Jansen (Sister), Leandri Jansen (Sister)
He is represented by Armand Strydom, Manager and Booking Agent, 88 Not Out Sports Management, Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa.
- 70 – Mumbai Indians (IPL)
- 07 – Knights (South African Domestic Cricket)
6 ft 8 in or 203 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Towering frame
- Short-cropped hair
- Often sports a light stubble
Marco has been sponsored by –
- Kookaburra Cricket
- bananaskinZ (compression apparel brand)
- Botthms (sports equipment/accessories manufacturer)
- RR Glass (home decor brand)
Marco Jansen Facts
- It was Marco’s father who had first spotted cricketing talent in him, during an under-9 tier school cricket match. He had opened the batting in that 20-overs match and had recorded an astonishing inning of 164 runs not out. His win brother, Duan, had batted at number 4 in that game and had scored 80 runs.
- In early 2018, during India’s tour of South Africa, he was participating as a net bowler in Johannesburg. There, he had beaten Indian captain Virat Kohli outside the off stump for 3 deliveries in a row. It has been reported that Mumbai Indians, renowned for their strong scouting system, had been tracking his progress since then; before eventually purchasing him at the IPL Auctions in 2021.
- Duan was also among the net bowlers that day and after the practice session, the brothers had taken a photograph with Virat. They had enlarged the picture, framed it, and hung it on a wall of the flat that they were sharing that time.
- Although they are twin brothers, Duan is 15 minutes older and had used his ‘older sibling rights’ to keep that photo when Marco had moved to Port Elizabeth, in 2020, to play for the Warriors franchise.
Featured Image by Marco Jansen / Instagram