|Jim Sturgess Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 0½ in|
|Date of Birth||May 16, 1978|
Jim Sturgess is an English actor and singer-songwriter who is best known for portraying roles such as Jude in Across the Universe, Ben Campbell in 21, Gavin Kossef in Crossing Over, and Janusz Wieszczek in The Way Back. He has also appeared in a variety of other TV shows and films such as Mouth to Mouth, Fifty Dead Men Walking, Heartless, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, Cloud Atlas, Kidnapping Freddy Heineken, Berlin, I Love You, Geostorm, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Heartbeat, A Touch of Frost, Close to the Enemy, Home Before Dark, and many more. As a singer, Jim has released singles such as I’ve Just Seen A Face, With A Little Help From My Friends, Revolution, and All You Need Is Love.
James Anthony Sturgess
Wandsworth, London, England, United Kingdom
Jim is based in North London.
But he often travels to New York City and Los Angeles for his acting commitments.
Jim Sturgess went to the Frensham Heights School.
After completing his school education, he moved to Manchester and got enrolled at the Salford University from where he graduated with an HND degree in Media and Performance in 1999.
- Father – Peter J. S. Sturgess
- Mother – Jane O. Martin
- Siblings – Will Sturgess (Older Brother), Tia Sturgess (Younger Brother)
- Others – Gerald Sambrooke Sturgess (Paternal Grandfather), Betty Muirhead Chittock (Paternal Grandmother)
Jim Sturgess is represented by London-based Garricks Talent Agency.
Vocals, guitar, piano, drums
Interscope, Columbia Records
6 ft 0½ in or 184 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jim Sturgess has dated
- Mickey O’Brien (2003-2012) – Jim started going out with singer and musician Mickey O’Brien in 2003. They had met at a rehearsal event in North London, which they were attending with their respective music bands. They were together for around 10 years before deciding to go separate ways in 2012.
- Doona Bae (2012-2015) – Jim started dating Korean actress Doona Bae in 2012. They had reportedly grown close while working in the movie Cloud Atlas. Their relationship became public after they were pictured out for a lunch on Abbot Kinney in Venice Beach. After remaining together for around 3 years, they decided to split in March 2015.
- Dina Mousawi (2017-Present) – Jim was rumored to be going out with Iraqi-Ukrainian actress and presenter, Dina Mousawi in 2017. These rumors were sparked by their appearance on the red carpet at the Virgin TV British Academy Television Awards. They had been pictured together in North London on a couple of occasions also. The couple tied the knot on July 30, 2019, in Italy.
Race / Ethnicity
Often has scruffy beard
Best Known For
- Being cast in the leading role in the science-fiction movie, Cloud Atlas, which is based on David Mitchell’s novel of the same name.
- Having appeared alongside Harrison Ford, Ashley Judd, and Ray Liotta in the indie crime drama flick, Crossing Over.
- Having played the leading role of a young Polish inmate in a war film, The Way Back, which was based on one prisoner of wars escape from a Soviet Gulag.
As a Singer
Jim has performed many soundtracks for his movies. His first musical contribution to the theatrical project came with 2007 release, Across the Universe, in which he performed in around 11 songs.
In 1994, Jim made his theatrical film debut in a minor role in British drama flick, The Browning Version.
First TV Show
In 1999, Jim made his first TV show appearance in the British drama, The Scarlet Pimpernel. He appeared in 2 episodes.
Jim Sturgess Favorite Things
- Music Albums – Check Your Head by the Beastie Boys, Rain Dogs by Tom Waits, The Stone Roses’ self-titled album, Pink Moon by Nick Drake, and Demon Days by Gorillaz
Source – IMDb
Jim Sturgess Facts
- He found fame of sorts with his appearance in the romantic drama, One Day opposite Anne Hathaway. However, to bag his role in the movie, he had to audition twice.
- He had developed a secret passion for acting at the age of 8 when he auditioned for a role in a local play in order to get out of school. But, he didn’t enjoy small parts he often got in plays while studying in school. However, he persisted and along with music, the drama was the only other subject in which he got good grades.
- While growing up, he used to spend most of his time skateboarding around in the neighborhood and local parks.
- By the age of 15, he had formed his first music band. They often used to play at the gigs in the local area and his father often used to help in creating posters for the gigs.
- He decided to get enrolled at Salford University as he felt it would give him an opportunity to hang around with Manchester’s famous music scene and would help him put another band as well.
- In 2008, Entertainment Weekly placed him on the 15th rank in the list featuring 30 Under 30 actors.
- To prepare for his role and to get American accent spot on for his role in movie 21, he enlisted the help of a dialect coach.
- He was one of the actors under consideration for the lead role in the reboot of the Spiderman franchise.
- He was discovered by an acting agent based on his performance in one-person show BUZZIN, which was essentially a poetry performance.
- He revealed in his interview with Telegraph that he has badly struggled with insomnia. He revealed that he sleeps okay but often wakes up at about 3 in the morning.
- After completing his school education, he got a job at the local restaurant, where he was often tasked with washing dishes. He was spending rest of his days smoking weed.
Featured Image via Gordon Correll / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0