|Virat Kohli Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||November 5, 1988|
Virat Kohli is an Indian cricketer who has also served as the 32nd captain of the India national team and was also a part of the team that won the 2011 World Cup. Regarded as one of the finest batsmen in the world, he was awarded the Arjuna Award in 2013, the Padma Shri in 2017, and the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna in 2018. Moreover, he was ranked at number #66 on the “Top 100 Highest-Paid Athletes in the World” list issued by Forbes for the year 2020.
New Delhi, Delhi, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Kohli attended Vishal Bharti Public School till the 8th standard and later enrolled himself at Saviour Convent School in Delhi to complete his schooling.
Cricketer (Right-handed batsman)
- Father – Prem Kohli (Criminal Lawyer) (Died in December 2006)
- Mother – Saroj Kohli
- Siblings – Vikas Kohli (Older Brother), Bhawna Kohli Dhingra (Older Sister)
Virat’s work is managed by Vaibhav (via Twitter).
He was signed with Cornerstone Sport for his endorsement deals owned by Bunty Sajdeh. But, Kohli parted ways with the company in November 2023.
Batsman (and part-time bowler)
In 2023, his net worth was $70 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
75 kg or 165 pounds
In November 2022, Virat revealed that for the past 8 years, he had maintained his weight at 74.5 kg to 75 kg.
Girlfriend / Spouse
Virat Kohli has dated –
- Izabelle Leite – She is a Brazilian model and actress, who dated Kohli in the past. Read more about their relationship here.
- Anushka Sharma (2013-Present) – He started dating Bollywood actress, Anushka Sharma in 2013. They both met for the first time while shooting for a television commercial. In January 2016, there were some breakup rumors. Virushka, as the couple is fondly called, married on December 11, 2017, in Florence, Italy. They announced on August 27, 2020, that they were pregnant with their first child. On January 11, 2021, the couple welcomed a girl named Vamika.
Race / Ethnicity
- Loses temper easily as seen on cricket grounds
Kohli has numerous endorsement deals with companies like –
- 3C Company (a real estate player)
- Fair & Lovely
- TVS Motors
- Fastrack (from Titan)
- Punjab National Bank
- Royal Challenge (from United Spirits)
- Fair and Lovely
- Flying Machine
- American Tourister
- Red Chief Shoes
- Toyota Motors
- Celkon Mobiles
- Cinthol (from Godrej)
- Munch (from Nestle)
- Sangam Suitings
- Digit Car Insurance (2023)
In 2019, Kohli became the part-owner and brand ambassador of the company Mobile Premier League (MPL).
In 2021, alongside his wife Anushka Sharma, he was seen in the Shyam Steel ad.
In April 2021, he signed with a short video-sharing application MX TakaTak which is owned by MX Player (which is further owned by The Times Group).
He has also served as the ambassador for Avās Wellness.
Best Known For
Playing cricket and becoming the world’s no. 1 batsman after the end of the India-Australia series in November 2013.
On August 18, 2008, Virat made his One Day International debut in Dambulla playing against Sri Lanka. He made 12 runs in that match out of 22 balls by playing at number 2. Have a look at the scorecard.
On June 12, 2010, Kohli made his T20 International debut playing against Zimbabwe in Harare. Virat made 26 runs (not out) from 21 balls. Have a look at the complete scorecard.
First Test Match
His first test match was against West Indies at Kingston from Jun 20-23, 2011. He made 4 runs out of 10 balls in the match. India was able to win the match by 63 runs. Again, you can have a look at the complete scorecard and other statistics.
Virat maintains his fitness by visiting a nearby gym for five times a week. He does a combination of cardio and weight training.
In November 2022, Virat revealed that he eats to 90% of his stomach’s capacity.
Virat Kohli’s Favorite Things
- Friends In IPL Team Royal Challengers Bangalore – Chris Gayle, AB de Villiers
- Restaurants – Megu at the Leela (Delhi), TK’s at the Hyatt (Delhi), Khan Chacha’s rolls (Delhi), Royal China (Mumbai), Shiro (Mumbai), Brick Lane (Bangalore)
- Adventure Sport – Rafting
- Holiday Destination – Barcelona, Paris
- Movie – Rocky 4 (1985)
- Dessert – Malwa Pudding (which one gets in South Africa)
Source – HindustanTimes.com, CricTracker.com
Virat Kohli’s Facts
- Virat was ICC’s ODI Player of the Year in 2012.
- After the India-Australia ODI series of 7 matches, Virat became the world’s 1st ranked batsman for the first time.
- Besides cricket, he likes to play video games, plays soccer, and is a car lover too.
- Virat is the only player in the world with the most centuries in 2012.
- While playing for the Delhi team, Virat made 90 runs in a Ranji Trophy match against Karnataka on the day of his father’s death.
- He led the Indian under-19 cricket team in the U/19 Cricket World Cup as captain in 2008 held in Malaysia. This team finally won this world cup.
- He is a member of the IPL team Royal Challengers Bangalore since 2008. He was made the captain of this IPL team in 2013 (or in the sixth season).
- He has a number of tattoos on his body and his favorite one is that of a Samurai Warrior.
- He wants to have his eyes insured as he believes these are his assets.
- Karishma Kapoor was his first celebrity crush.
- ESPN has named him as one of the world’s most famous athletes.
- As an initiative to promote the Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM), he cleaned the Eden Gardens on Gandhi Jayanti of 2016 alongside Anurag Sharma and the Indian team.
- After Suresh Raina, he became the 2nd player to reach 5000 IPL runs on March 28, 2019.
- In February 2019, he invested in the online gaming platform, Mobile Premier League (MPL). He was given Compulsory Convertible Debentures (CCDs) for INR 33.32 lakhs in Galactus Funware Technology (owner of MPL).
- Ex-selector, Sarandeep Singh revealed about Virat in February 2021 that Virat and his wife Anushka have no servants at their home. They serve the food themselves to everyone sitting at the table.
- In March 2021, Virat became the first cricketer in the world to gain 100 million followers on Instagram.
- In April 2021, he became the first player in IPL history to score 6,000 runs.
- In September 2021, Virat announced that he was stepping down from the Indian team captaincy of white-ball matches. Moreover, he also announced to leave his IPL team RCB’s captaincy after the 2021 season of IPL.
- In September 2021, Virat had put his 2013 model Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder car for sale for INR 1.35 crore which had run 10,000 km and he had purchased it in 2015.
- In November 2021, his restaurant chain One8 Commune was accused of discrimination by an LGBTQIA+ group named Yes, We Exist. It was said that the Pune branch of the restaurant didn’t allow entry to the gay couple. However, as per the restaurant, they had restrictions on stag entry (where individual boys are not allowed).
- Virat was retained by Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) for IPL 2022 for INR 15 crores as compared to INR 17 crores for IPL 2021.
- As per Forbes India, Virat had earned $680,000 or INR 5 crore per Instagram post. Later in 2022, as per HopperHQ’s Instagram Rich List, he was earning $1,088,000 per post (or INR 8.69 crore) per sponsored Instagram post. He was the only Asian in the top 25 of the list. Cristiano Ronaldo had topped that list with $2,397,000 per sponsored Instagram post.
- In January 2022, he stepped down from the captaincy of the Indian Test cricket team also after losing a Test series against South Africa. As a Test team captain, he won 40 matches by playing 68 matches. His winning percentage was 58.82% and as a result, he became India’s most successful Test captain ever.
- In February 2022, Virat and Anushka had invested in a Mumbai-based plant-based meat startup, Blue Tribe Foods which was started in 2020.
- In March 2022, Virat reached the #5 spot from #7 in the latest ICC ranking for Test batters. With this, he had crossed Indian captain Rohit Sharma who had slipped to #6.
- In July 2022, ICC released the latest rankings of ODI batters, according to which Kohli slipped to the #5 spot which was his worst ranking since October 2015. He had always remained in the top 4.
- In the 2022 Asia Cup match of India against Hong Kong, Virat Kohli received a jersey from the Hong Kong team with a handwritten message on it to Kohli. Indian cricket team had won that match.
- In the 2022 Asia Cup match of India against Hong Kong, Virat bowled an over in which he conceded 6 runs. Since 2016, he bowled for the first time in a T20I match. Overall, he had bowled 25.2 overs in all T20I matches in which he had conceded 204 runs and taken 4 wickets.
- Virat scored his maiden T20I century on September 8, 2022, against Afghanistan in Asia Cup 2022. It was also his first century in 1019 days or almost 3 years (in any format). Virat scored this century in 53 balls. Overall, he scored 122* in 61 deliveries. With this, he had scored 71 centuries in international cricket, equalling the record of Australia’s Ricky Ponting.
- On September 8, 2022, in a match against Afghanistan in Asia Cup 2022, Virat also scored the highest-ever score (122*) by any Indian in T20I cricket. Before this, Rohit Sharma was the highest scorer with 118 runs in 43 balls against Sri Lanka, made on December 22, 2017.
- On September 8, 2022, Virat also made more records such as the highest individual T20I score on UAE soil and the first-ever hundred by a player in T20 Asia Cup. He became the fastest batter to reach 3,500 T20I runs which he did in 96 innings and 24,000 international runs (522 innings). He became the 2nd Indian to hit 100 sixes in T20Is.
- After scoring his maiden T20I century in September 2022, Virat jumped 14 spots in the T20I ranking and reached 15th from the 29th spot with 599 rating points.
- In September 2022, Virat Kohli became India’s 2nd highest run-scorer in international cricket by crossing Rahul Dravid. Virat has scored 24,078 runs now in 525 international innings. Only, Sachin Tendulkar was ahead of him with 34,357 runs at that time.
- A fan of Virat Kohli named Rahul Rai booked the same hotel in which Virat and other team members were staying in Guwahati, Assam for INR 23,400. He wanted to click a selfie but was unable to do so at the airport and at the practice session of the team.
- On November 2, 2022, Virat Kohli had entered the 10th spot in the world’s top batters ranking.
- In November 2022, Virat was named ICC Men’s Player of the Month for October.
- On November 10, 2022, amid the T20I World Cup 2022, Virat became the first batter in the world to cross 4,000 international runs in T20 cricket. On that day, he had reached 4008 runs while batting against England.
- On January 10, 2023, Virat scored his 73rd international hundred which was against Sri Lanka. This was his 20th ODI ton at home and with this, he equaled Sachin Tendulkar’s record.
- On January 10, 2023, he also became the fastest batter to slam 20 ODI hundreds on Indian soil by taking 99 innings. Further, he also overtook Sachin Tendulkar to become the fastest batter to smash 45 ODI hundreds by taking 257 innings.
- On January 10, 2023, Virat also scored the maximum number of ODI tons against Sri Lanka which was 9 (Later, on January 15, 2023, this number became 10). The previous record was held by Sachin Tendulkar.
- On January 15, 2023, Kohli made his personal best score in an ODI on Indian soil, which was 166*(110). He scored this against Sri Lanka in which the Indian team won by 317 runs which is again an international record of the biggest win by runs in an ODI.
- On January 15, 2023, Virat slammed the fastest hundred in an ODI in India. He took 106 balls.
- In January 2023, it was reported that Virat gifted a BMW car worth over INR 2 crore to K. L. Rahul and Athiya Shetty on the occasion of their wedding. However, this news was denied by Suniel Shetty and his family.
- In January 2023, Virat was ranked #7 batter in the ICC rankings of ODI batters.
- In January 2023, Virat and his wife Anushka visited the samadhi of Swami Dayananda Saraswati at the Swami Dayananda Ashram in Rishikesh.
- In February 2023, Kohli purchased a 2,000 sqft luxurious villa in Avas Living, Alibaug for INR 6 crore. It also has a 400 sqft area for the swimming pool. He also paid INR 36 lakh in stamp duty. The ex-wife of Hrithik Roshan, Sussanne Khan did the interiors for the entire project.
- Before the above property, he also bought another property in Alibaug in September 2022, a farmhouse for Rs 19.24 crore, for which he paid a stamp duty of Rs 1.15 crore.
- In March 2023, after finishing the third Test match against Australia in Indore, Virat and his wife Anushka visited the Shree Mahakaleshwar Temple in Ujjain to offer prayers to Lord Shiva. India had lost that match in just 3 days.
- Virat Kohli scored his 28th Test hundred and 75th international hundred on March 12, 2023, against Australia in Ahmedabad. He reached 100 in 241 deliveries. Kohli hit this Test hundred after 1,204 days.
- After the completion of the 4th Test match between India and Australia in March 2023, Kohli gifted signed jerseys to Australian cricketers Usman Khawaja and Alex Carey, for which he was praised.
- In March 2023, Anushka and her hubby Virat decided to merge their respective foundations to start a joint not-for-profit initiative called SeVVA which works for humanity and not a particular issue.
- In March 2023, before the start of IPL 2023, he showed his new body tattoo on his right arm, which was the 12th tattoo, overall.
- In March 2023, Virat revealed that he had sold most of his cars as they were all impulsive buys.
- Before the start of IPL 2023 in March 2023, he shared the 2 greatest cricketers of all time – Sir Viv Richards and Sachin Tendulkar.
- In April 2023, Kohli was fined 10% of his match fee for breaking the IPL code of conduct during the match of RCB vs CSK. He committed a Level 1 offense under Article 2.2 of the IPL Code of Conduct (related to cricket equipment, clothing, ground equipment, or fixtures abuse during the match).
- In May 2023, former English cricketer, Kevin Pietersen suggested Kohli to move to Delhi Capitals as RCB could not win even a single IPL title in all the 16 seasons of IPL since its inception in 2008. Virat has played for RCB since 2008.
- In May 2023, Virat became the only cricketer in IPL history to score 7 100s. Before him, Chris Gayle had scored 6 centuries in IPL.
- In May 2023, he also became the first RCB player to score two consecutive centuries in IPL.
- In May 2023, Virat became the first Asian to cross 250 million followers on Instagram.
- In July 2023, Kohli took 21 balls to score his first run in a Test match against West Indies in Trinidad. With this, he made a record for facing most balls before scoring a run in a Test innings abroad. Before this, his previous record was 19 deliveries, made in the 2011 Barbados Test against West Indies. The July 2023 match was also Kohli’s 500th international cricket match.
- He is the first and the only cricketer in the world to take a wicket on the 0th ball (zeroth ball) of his T20I career. In 2011, he had bowled a wide ball on which wicketkeeper MS Dhoni was quick to stump out Kevin Pietersen.
- In August 2023, he received a verbal warning from BBCI after he shared his yo-yo fitness test score on Instagram Story. These scores are confidential and are not meant to be shared.
- In September 2023, Virat became the fastest cricketer to score 13,000 runs in ODI history. He reportedly took 267 innings to reach the 13,000-run mark.
- In October 2023, Virat broke Sachin Tendulkar’s record for scoring the most runs in ICC World Cup tournaments after he took his tally of runs to 2,311 in 53 innings during a match against Afghanistan.
- During the ODI World Cup 2023 held from October to November 2023, Virat was eating steamed food mainly including vegetarian dim sum, tofu, mock meat, soya, and other vegetable-based protein, as per the chef of the hotel where Team India was residing. He was not eating any type of meat.
- On his 35th birthday, on November 5, 2023, Kohli smashed his 49th ODI hundred and thus equaled Sachin Tendulkar’s record of hitting most hundreds in ODI cricket.
- On his 35th birthday, he received a gold-plated bat from the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) in November 2023.
- Kohli’s 84-metre straight six off the bowling of Pakistan’s Haris Rauf in the T20 World Cup 2022 was declared ‘Shot of the Century’ by the ICC.
- In November 2023, Virat took his 1st one-day international (ODI) wicket in a World Cup match by dismissing Netherlands’ captain Scott Edwards. Overall, it was his 5th wicket in an ODI match.
- On November 15, 2023, he became the first cricketer to score 50 centuries in ODI matches.
- He also smashed the most 50-plus scores in an edition of the ODI World Cup which he achieved in November 2023. He hit eight 50-plus scores in 10 matches (until the India vs New Zealand semi-final match). The previous record was jointly held by Sachin Tendulkar and Shakib Al Hasan of seven 50-plus scores.
- In November 2023, he created history by registering the most runs in a single ODI World Cup edition. Before him, Sachin Tendulkar was the record-holder who had scored 673 runs in the 2003 edition of the World Cup.
- He won the “Player of the Tournament” award during the men’s World Cup 2023 for scoring the most runs which was 765 in 11 innings at an average of 95.62