|Suniel Shetty Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||August 11, 1961|
Suniel Shetty is an Indian actor, television producer, host, and entrepreneur who is widely known for his roles in the Bollywood film industry. He has been in the industry for over 25 years and has acted in numerous movies which are majorly action and comedy movies. Asides his roles in Bollywood films, he has also contributed through acting in Malayalam, Tamil, and English language films. Several movies which he has acted in after his acting debut in 1992 were commercial success. Some of these films include Waqt Hamara Hai (1993), Dilwale (1994), Anth (1994), Mohra (1994), Gopi Kishan (1994), Krishna (1996), Border (1997), Judge Mujrim (1997), Bhai (1997), Qahar (1997), Hera Pheri (2000), Refugee (2000), Jungle (2000), Kaante (2002), Qayamat (2003), Main Hoon Na (2004), Hulchul (2004), Dus (2005), Shootout at Lokhandwala (2007), and De Dana Dan (2010).
Apart from his role as an actor in television films and series, Suniel Shetty also works as a movie producer. Some of the movies he has produced include Khel-No Ordinary Game, Bhagam Bhag, and Rakht. Shetty is very interested in sports and is even the captain of a Celebrity cricket league ‘Mumbai Heroes’ cricket team in India. He is the owner of 2 restaurants in Mumbai, India- Mischief Dining Bar and Club H20. He has also been the host for top fitness reality shows in India such as Biggest Loser Jeetega and India’s Asli Champion Hai Dam?
Suniel Shetty has bagged several awards to his name including the Filmfare Award for “Best Villain” in 2001 for his role in Dhadkan, and the South Asian International Film Festival’s “Best Actor” Award for his role in a Naxalites based Indian movie Red Alert.
Sunil Veerappa Shetty
Mulki, Mangalore, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Suniel Shetty attended H.R. College of Commerce and Economics in Mumbai, India where he graduated with a degree in Hotel Management.
Actor, Producer, Entrepreneur
- Father – Veerappa Shetty
- Siblings – Sujata R. Hedge (Older Sister), Sumita Tarun Pratap (Younger Sister)
- Others – Rahul (Brother-in-law), Isha (Sister-in-law)
Suniel Shetty is represented by FTC Talent Media & Entertainment (Digital Talent Company which he owns).
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Suniel Shetty has dated –
- Mana Shetty (1992-Present) – Suniel Shetty got married to Mana Shetty (formerly Mana Qadri) in 1992. He has a daughter and a son with Manna – Athiya Shetty (b. 1992) who is also active in the film industry, and Ahan Shetty (b. 1996).
Race / Ethnicity
He is from Bunt (a community from Karnataka India) community.
- Very athletic physique
- Messy hair
- Thick beard
He has endorsed the Ferit Cricket Bash for Amateur Cricketers.
Best Known For
- Acting in several theatrical films, most of which became commercial successes. Some of these roles include Sada nair in Shooter (2019), Colonel in A Gentleman (2017), Nisheeth Kumar in Koyelaanchal (2014), Marcos in No Problem (2010) and Ram Mishra in De Dana Dan (2009).
- Playing roles in television series such as Kasamh Se (2007) and Ehsaas (2003)
- Producing films including Khel-No Ordinary Game, Rakht, and Bhagam Bhag
- Owning 2 restaurants in Mumbai, India that serve quality food
- Forming a popular cricket team with Akshay Kumar and Paresh Rawal
Suniel Shetty made his first theatrical film appearance in the lead role of
Arjun Singh in the movie Balwaan in 1992.
First TV Show
Suniel Shetty made his first TV show appearance as Himself in the TV series documentary Ehsaas in 2003.
Suniel Shetty has never shared an exact workout routine he follows, but he is in excellent shape for his age, which means it is certain that he does lift weights in moderate amounts. He also likes sports such as cricket which helps to keep his weight in check and performs action scenes due to his fighting abilities which also helps keep him in shape.
Suniel Shetty Favorite Things
- Food – Tillwywali kulfi, Fish curry, Thai cuisine
- Chef – Chef Solomon
- Actors – Amitabh Bachchan, Bruce Willis
- Actresses – Nargis, Sharmila Tagore, Kajol, Madhuri Dixit, Goldie Hawn
- Films – Sharaabi, Hera Pheri
- Directors – J P Dutta, Gulzar, Rajiv Rai, Priyadarshan
- Musician – Bryan Adams
- Colors – Blue, White, Black
- Sport – Cricket
- Cricketer – Sachin Tendulkar
- Book – Sunny Days by Sunil Gavaskar
Suniel Shetty Facts
- He had his name changed from ‘Sunil’ to ‘Suniel Shetty’ in 2014.
- He loves playing patriotic roles in movies. Some of the movies which he has had these roles include Border (1997), Qayamat: City Under Threat (2003), and Mohra (1994).
- In the Bollywood industry, Suniel Shetty is regarded as a major star. This is mostly due to his acting skills which led to his great success.
- He is a Black belt in Full Contact Kick Boxing which is a reason for his fighting roles in movies. It comes more easily to him.
- He is usually compared to Dolph Lundgren. People say he is an alter-ego of Dolph from India.
- He owns a film production company called Popcorn Entertainment.
- His friends and co-stars call him ‘Anna’ for reasons unknown to many.
- The character closest to his heart is Dev. Dev is a character he performed in the 2000 movie Dhadkan.
- He was signed for Akshay Kumar‘s role in Elaan.
- He was also signed for Vinod Khanna‘s role in Eena Meena Deeka but he opted out due to personal reasons.
- His older sister, Sujata Shetty lives in America and just recently joined her brother in a business venture.
- His wife’s name was ‘Mana Qadri’ before they got married.
- Suniel Shetty’s 1st film was not Balwaan but Ek Aur Faulad which was directed by David Dhawan and produced by Pahlaj Nihalani, but creative differences made the film unreleased.
- Suniel Shetty released a children’s nursery rhyme album titled Jantar Mantar in 2000. The nursery rhymes he released were in English and Hindi. He sang on the album and recited nursery rhymes alongside Sudesh Bhonsale and Rahul De Mello. The songs on the album were a combination of Hip Hop, Reggae and Rock n Roll. The music was composed by Anand Raaj Anand and released on Times Music.
- He got into an issue with Sawan Kumar Tak. Sawan had signed Suniel for a film but then decided to shelve the film. 2 years later, Sawan called him, asking him to come and take the role but Suniel refused.
- He went for a world tour concert in 2001 alongside Akshay Kumar. They visited several cities in Canada, America, and England.
- Suniel Shetty had a friend Rajiv Rai, whose house he used to go to for a lot of film parties. Suniel always talked about the film industry and asked Rajiv if he could join. Rajiv didn’t think the movie industry was good for him, but later Suniel began receiving various offers.
- Suniel Shetty has acted in a lot of movies which eventually got shelved. Some of these movies include Karmveer (1995), Juaa (1997), Juhi Chawla (1999), Hum Panchi Ek Daal Ke (1997), Gehrai (1994), Chori Mera Kaam (1995), Andaz Tera Mastana (1997), Showman (2011), Chai Garam (2011), Afra Tafree (2012), Confusion (2007), Do Kadame Aage (1992), Captain Arjun (1995) etc. Some of the shelved movies Suniel starred in were never given a title.
- In April 2021, he partnered with KVN Foundation‘s “Feed My City” initiative to provide free oxygen concentrators to COVID-19 patients.
Featured Image by Suniel Shetty / Instagram