|David Dhawan Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||August 16, 1951|
David Dhawan is an Indian film editor and director whose highly-coveted filmography has made him one of Bollywood’s best comedy film directors. His partnership with Govinda, Salman Khan, and Karishma Kapoor produced a string of superhit comedy films in the 1990s and early 2000s. Some of his most popular films include Raja Babu (1994), Coolie No. 1 (1995), Saajan Chale Sasural (1996), Deewana Mastana (1997), Hero No. 1 (1997), Bade Miyan Chote Miyan (1998), Judwaa (1997), Biwi No. 1 (1999), Mujhse Shaadi Karogi (2004), Haseena Maan Jaayegi (1999), Jodi No. 1 (2001), Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya (2005), Partner (2007), etc. Moreover, he has also been lauded for his dramatic films like Swarg (1990), Aankhen (1993), Shola Aur Shabnam (1992), etc.
Agartala, Tripura, India
Dhawan attended Christ Church Inter College and later, completed his high school education at BNSD Inter College. Furthermore, he got enrolled at the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) to study acting, but he got interested in filmmaking and editing instead.
Film Director, Editor
- Father – Madan Lal Dhawan (Assistant General Manager at UCO Bank)
- Siblings – Anil Dhawan (Older Brother) (Actor, Activist), Ashok Dhawan (Brother)
- Others – Siddharth Dhawan (Nephew) (Anil’s son) (Actor), Natasha Dalal (Daughter-in-law) (Varun’s Wife) (Fashion Designer), Jaanvi Desai (Daughter-in-law) (Rohit’s Wife) (Entrepreneur), Niyara Dhawan (Granddaughter) (Rohit’s Daughter), Abheer Dhawan (Grandson) (Rohit’s son), Rashmi Dhawan (Sister-in-law), Punit Malhotra (Nephew) (Director)
David Dhawan’s net worth was $20 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
96 kg or 211.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
David Dhawan has dated –
- Karuna Chopra – The Dulhan Hum Le Jayenge (2000) director is happily married to Karuna Chopra for many decades. The couple is parents to 2 sons named Rohit Dhawan (b. December 26, 1983) and Varun Dhawan (b. April 24, 1987). While Rohit is a filmmaker like his father, Varun is one of the most popular Bollywood actors of his generation.
Race / Ethnicity
However, his hair has turned ‘Gray’ with his advancing age.
David Dhawan Facts
- He started his career as an editor on the critically-acclaimed film Saaransh (1984) before turning his focus on direction.
- While studying at FTII, he decided to change his first name to David as the name was suggested by his Christian neighbors whom he lived next to in Agartala.
- Most of his films have taken inspiration from previously-released acclaimed movies. For instance, his film Hero No. 1 (1997) was inspired by Hrishikesh Mukherjee’s Bawarchi (1972) starring Rajesh Khanna, Kyo Kii… Main Jhuth Nahin Bolta (2001) was inspired by Liar Liar (1997) starring Jim Carrey, Judwaa (1997) was inspired by the Telugu film Hello Brother (1994), Bade Miyan Chote Miyan (1998) was inspired by Bad Boys (1995), etc.
- David appeared as a judge on the reality dance competition show, Nach Baliye 3 in 2007 as well as the stand-up comedy show, Hans Baliye in 2009.
- He is the only director to remake his own hit films like Judwaa (1997) starring Salman Khan and Coolie No. 1 (1995) starring Govinda. Furthermore, he cast Varun in the lead role in both Judwaa 2 (2017) and Coolie No. 1 (2020). However, both films were panned by critics.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0