|Shakib Al Hasan Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||March 24, 1987|
|Spouse||Umme Ahmed Shishir|
Shakib Al Hasan is a Bangladeshi professional cricketer who has represented his national team, as an all-rounder, across the 3 international formats (Tests, ODIs, and T20Is) and has been one of the most sought after players in T20 leagues around the world. He is widely regarded as the greatest cricketer ever produced by Bangladesh and has been a key cog in the rise of Bangladesh as a formidable team in the limited-overs formats (ODIs, T20Is) helping his team reach the final of the Asia Cup (2012, 2016, 2018), the semi-final of the Champions Trophy (2017), and the quarter-final of the World Cup (2015). Even in the Test match format, he has been instrumental in turning Bangladesh into a formidable home team, evident by their Test wins against England (2016) and Australia (2017). He has served as the captain of the national team, in 1 or more formats, in 2 separate stints (2009-2011 and 2017-2019).
Shakib Al Hasan
Magura, Khulna, Bangladesh
Shakib, after his high school graduation, had pursued a B.A. degree in English at the American International University-Bangladesh (AIUB).
- Father – Khondoker Masroor Reza (Former Soccer Player)
- Mother – Shirin Reza
- Siblings – Jannatul Ferdous Ritu (Sister)
- Others – Mamataj Ahmed (Father-in-Law) (Bank Employee)
Slow Left-Arm Orthodox
75 – ODI, T20I, IPL (Indian Premier League), CPL (Caribbean Premier League), BPL (Bangladesh Premier League)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
71 kg or 156.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Shakib has dated –
- Umme Ahmed Shishir (2011-Present) – Shakib had first met Bangladeshi-American model and software engineer Umme Ahmed Shishir in 2011 while he was playing county cricket for Worcestershire in England. The couple got married in December 2012 in a ceremony in Dhaka, Bangladesh, and have 2 daughters together named Alayna Aubrey Hasan (b. November 8, 2015) and Errum Hasan (b. April 24, 2020).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Bangladeshi descent.
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped, side-parted hair
- Sports a trimmed beard
- Affable smile
Shakib Al Hasan Facts
- Shakib’s glittering career has been marred by several controversies but the one that brought him the most ignominy had occurred in February 2014. During the live broadcast of an ODI match, the cameras had panned towards the Bangladesh dressing room and he had inexplicably made an indecent gesture pointing towards his cr*tch. He was fined BDT 300k for the offense and handed a 3-match ban.
- In 2015, he had become the first cricketer ever to have been ranked the number 1 allrounder simultaneously in all 3 formats of the international game in the ICC (International Cricket Council)’s official player rankings.
- In October 2019, he was suspended for 1 year and banned from all forms of cricket by the ICC for breaching its ‘Anti Corruption Code’. He had been contacted by bookmakers on 2 separate occasions in 2018, once each in Bangladesh and India, but had failed to report these approaches to the ICC‘s ‘Anti Corruption Unit’.
- Just before this ban was announced, he had led a short-lived players’ strike, primarily demanding higher salaries in the domestic first-class cricket system in Bangladesh.
- In February 2022, during IPL 2022 mega auction, he was not purchased by any of the teams. The reason behind this was speculated to be his unavailability for the entire IPL 2022 season since Bangladesh had a series against South Africa towards the end of March.
- In October 2022, Shakib Al Hasan was ranked the #1 all-rounder in T20I cricket by ICC.
- In March 2023, Shakib became the highest wicket-taker in T20I cricket history after he took 5 wickets in a T20 match against Ireland. In this match, he had completed 136 wickets and overtook New Zealand’s Tim Southee to achieve this feat.
- In April 2023, Shakib became the first Bangladesh player to win the ICC Men’s “Player of the Month” award twice after he was named “Player of the Month” for March. He had earlier won his first “Player of the Month” award in July 2021.
Featured Image by Shakib Al Hasan / Instagram