|Rhea Perlman Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||March 31, 1948|
Rhea Perlman is an Emmy Award-winning actress, author, writer and producer. She is known for her role in Taxi, Cheers, The Mindy Project, Annie, Pearl, Kate Brasher, Hung, Robot Chicken, Kirstie, Carpool, Matilda, Love Comes Lately, Beethoven’s Big Break, The Sessions, and Sing. Rhea is the author of the illustrated children’s book miniseries Otto Undercover. She is a graduate of Hunter College in New York.
Rhea Jo Perlman
Coney Island, New York, United States
- Beverly Hills, California, United States
- Interlaken, New Jersey, United States
Rhea Perlman attended Hunter College in New York, to study drama and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1968.
Actress, Author, Writer, Producer
- Father – Philip Perlman (Was a Manager at a doll parts factory, Character Actor)
- Mother – Adele Perlman (Bookkeeper)
- Siblings – Heide Perlman (Younger Sister) (Television Writer, Story Editor, Producer)
- Others – Randall Miller (Cousin)
Rhea Perlman is managed by Innovative Artists, Talent Agency, Santa Monica, California, United States.
5 ft 1 in or 155 cm
49 kg or 108 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Rhea Perlman has dated –
- Danny DeVito (1971-Present) – In 1971, Rhea began a relationship with actor Danny DeVito. They met on January 17, 1971, through a friend who was a cast member of the play The Shrinking Bride, along with Danny DeVito. Just after dating for 2 weeks, the couple started living together. However, the couple took their time and got married on January 28, 1982, after 11 years of being together. They are blessed with 3 children, Lucy Chet DeVito (b. March 11, 1983), Grace Fan DeVito (b. March 25, 1985), and Jacob Daniel DeVito (b. October 30, 1987). It isn’t all happiness in their married life, as the couple has separated a few times from each other in the past. In October 2012, they separated briefly only to reconcile in March 2013. Then again in March 2017, it was reported that the couple had started living separately on amicable terms. By March 2018, there were reports claiming that the couple has reconciled again. No matter what their relationship status is, Rhea has stated that she will not give a divorce to Danny.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Polish and Russian descent.
- Curly hair
- Short Stature
- Dimpled Smile
Rhea Perlman has endorsed and appeared in commercials for brands like BNY Mellon Wealth Management Services.
Best Known For
Her character as Carla Tortelli on the TV series Cheers (1982-1993) for which she received the Emmy Awards nomination for “Outstanding Supporting Actress” 10 times during the 11 years of the show. She managed to win 4 out of 10 nominations.
In 1979, she made her theatrical film debut in the comedy film Swap Meet as the Mother.
In 1986, she made her theatrical film debut as a voice actor in the animated family fantasy My Little Pony: The Movie as Reeka.
First TV Show
In 1979, she made her first TV show appearance on the comedy series Taxi as Zena Sherman.
In 1986, she lent her voice for the character of Rose Johnson on the television series Annie.
Rhea Perlman regularly practices yoga 5 times a week. She attends yoga classes taught by her daughter Grace. Rhea leads an active lifestyle and therefore follows a healthy diet maintaining her toned figure.
Rhea Perlman Favorite Things
- Foods – French fries and potato chips
Source – LA Times
Rhea Perlman Facts
- She started her acting career in the off-off-Broadway play Dracula Sabbat, as an attendant in 1970.
- Her father Philip Perlman has also appeared in over 30 episodes as the bar patron Phil in the TV show Cheers (1982).
- Rhea, Ted Danson, and George Wendt were the only actors to have appeared in all 273 episodes of Cheers (1982-1993).
- She is not related to Ron Perlman.
- She is close friends with Lucy Liu.
- Rhea is an avid supporter of the Democratic Party.
- She has played the role of Carla Tortelli numerous times on TV shows including Cheers (1982-1993), St. Elsewhere (1985), The Tortellis (1987), The Simpsons (1994), and Frasier (2002).
- She has starred with her husband Danny DeVito in only one movie, Matilda (1996) and before marriage in 5 episodes of Taxi (1978).
- Rhea identifies herself with the character Jo from her most loved novel Little Women stating that the book gave her courage.
- Rhea has written 6 miniseries of the illustrated children’s book Otto Undercover from 2006-2007, namely Born to Drive, Canyon Catastrophe, Water Balloon Doom, Toxic Taffy Takeover, The Brink of Ex-stink-tion, and Brain Freeze.
- She has also worked as an executive producer for the TV series Pearl from 1996 to 1997 and co-written 2 short films The Sound Sleeper (1973) and Minestrone (1975).
- She has a dog named Zeus.
- Rhea is involved in many charities, especially the Children’s Action Network in which she helps kids in foster care find permanent homes.
- Rhea has taken a ride in a hot-air balloon once. She enjoyed the experience.
- Rhea has a rescue Chihuahua dog named Zorro.
- Rhea generally keeps a chocolate bar ready at her bedside just in case she feels hungry at midnight.
- Rhea once had a pet skink lizard. When that lizard bit Rhea, she gave that away the next day.
- She does not like to play charades.
- She likes eating bananas but not banana smoothies or anything with bananas.
- She loves baseball movies.
- Rhea doesn’t like the wind.
- She has made several attempts in learning Spanish.
- Rhea has never eaten peanut butter as a kid.
- She is afraid of cologne. She avoids sitting next to a person in theaters and on an airplane wearing cologne.
- Rhea generally forgets where she has kept her cell phone. So, she has to call multiple times in a day from another phone to her phone just to locate her.
- She loves traveling to different places.
Featured Image by Alan Light / Flickr / CC BY-2.0