|Sachin Tendulkar Quick Info
|5 ft 5 in
|Date of Birth
|April 24, 1973
Sachin Tendulkar is a former Indian international cricketer and a former captain of the Indian national team. He is best known for being internationally regarded as one of the greatest batsmen in the history of cricket and being the highest run-scorer of all time in International cricket. The cricketer has been awarded all the highest civilian and sports honors of India including the Padma Vibhushan, Arjuna Award, Padma Shri and Bharat Ratna for his outstanding achievements in his field.
Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar
GOD of Cricket, Little Master, Master Blaster
Bombay (now Mumbai), Maharashtra, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Sachin was first enrolled at the Indian Education Society’s New English School in Bandra (East) but later switched to Sharadashram Vidyamandir (English) High School at Dadar.
- Father – Ramesh Tendulkar (Novelist and Poet)
- Mother – Rajni Tendulkar (Worked in Insurance Industry)
- Siblings – None
- Others – Nitin Tendulkar (Older Half-Brother), Ajit Tendulkar (Older Half-Brother), Savita Tendulkar (Older Half-Sister)
Sachin was officially represented by the Board Of Control for Cricket in India until his retirement.
Right-Arm Medium, Leg Break, Off-Break
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Sachin has dated –
- Anjali Mehta (1990-Present) – Sachin first met Anjali, a pediatrician in 1990. The couple tied the knot on May 24, 1995. Together, they are proud parents to 2 children, a daughter named Sara Tendulkar and a son named Arjun Tendulkar.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Marathi ancestry on his father’s side.
Sachin has done endorsement work for brands like Pepsi, Canon, ESPN Star Sports, TVS, Reynolds, Fiat Palio, Adidas, Action Shoes, Boost, Sunfeast, HomeTrade, Britannia, Reliance Communications, Airtel, Wildaid.org, MRF, Rorito, G-Hanz, Sanyo BPL, Toshiba, Colgate-Palmolive, Philips, VISA, Castrol India, Ujala Techno Bright, Coca-Cola, Musafir.com, Luminous India, DBS Bank, PayTM First Game (fantasy game app), etc.
Best Known For
- Being the former Indian international cricketer and a former captain of the Indian national cricket team
- Being internationally regarded as one of the greatest batsmen in the history of cricket
- Being the highest run-scorer of all time in International cricket
Sachin made his ODI debut on December 18, 1989, against Pakistan.
He played his first T20 match on December 1, 2006, against South Africa.
He made his Test match debut on November 15, 1989, against Pakistan.
Sachin made his theatrical film debut in the musical romantic-drama film Kabhie Ajnabi The in a cameo role in 1985.
First TV Show
Other than the broadcast of his cricket matches, he made his first TV show appearance on the reality game show Kaun Banega Crorepati? as ‘Himself’ in 2001.
As per an interview, Sachin revealed that he does not go to the gym but his fitness secret lies on the field. He plays cricket in his free time and that is enough to keep him fit and active throughout.
As far as his eating habits are concerned, he does not maintain a diet and is a food lover who likes to have anything he wants.
Sachin Tendulkar Favorite Things
- Shot – Straight Drive
Source – Wikipedia
Sachin Tendulkar Facts
- Sachin gets his name from his father’s favorite music director, Sachin Dev Burman.
- Although he is regarded as one of the coolest sportspersons, he was a bully as a young boy and would often pick up fights with newcomers in his school.
- He was inclined towards playing tennis at a young age but in 1984, his older brother Ajit introduced him to cricket in a hope to control his mischievous and bullying habits.
- Ajit introduced Sachin to the famous cricket coach and a club cricketer Ramakant Achrekar but in their first meet, he did not play his best game. Ajit convinced Ramakant that it was because of his self-consciousness and that he would do better if he doesn’t know that he is being observed. Ramakant observed him hiding behind the tree, and this time Sachin played a better game and he was accepted as a trainee.
- It was his coach Ramakant Achrekar who suggested him to shift his school from Indian Education Society’s New English School in Bandra (East) to Sharadashram Vidyamandir (English) High School at Dadar as the latter had a dominant cricket team.
- During the practice under the guidance of Ramakant Achrekar whenever Sachin felt exhausted, Achrekar would keep a 1 rupee coin on the top of the stumps, and the bowler who could take the wicket used to get the coin while Sachin got to keep the coin if he managed the whole session without getting stumped. He has won overall 13 coins and he now considers them as his most prized possessions.
- He became known for his game at the mere age of 14 and went on to play for John Bright Cricket Club in Bombay’s premier club cricket tournament, the Kanga League and later was selected to play for the Cricket Club of India.
- While he was attending the MRF Pace Foundation in Madras in 1987 to train as a fast bowler, he was suggested by Australian fast bowler Dennis Lillee to focus on his batting as he was unimpressed by his bowling.
- In the 1987 Cricket World Cup, Sachin was the ball boy.
- In the 1988 season, while playing school level cricket, he went on to score a century in every innings he played and created a remarkable 664-run partnership with his childhood friend and another former international Indian cricketer Vinod Kambli. The pair was so destructive that the opposition was unwilling to play till the end as Sachin alone scored 326 runs in just 1 inning and scored more than 1000 runs in the tournament. This created a record partnership in any form of cricket but was later broken by 2 under-13 batsmen in 2006.
- One of his biggest dreams was to play alongside his cricket idol Sunil Gavaskar which remained unfulfilled as Gavaskar retired after the 1987 Cricket World Cup.
- On 11 December 1988, Sachin made his debut for Bombay against Gujarat and managed to score a century that made him the youngest Indian to score a century on debut in first-class cricket as he was only 15 years and 232 days old at that time.
- He made his first double century for Mumbai in 1998 against the Australian team.
- Sachin is the only player to score a 100 for his debut in all of his 3 domestic first-class tournament that is The Ranji Trophy, Irani Trophy, and Duleep Trophy.
- He claims the semi-finals of the Ranji Trophy against Tamil Nadu in 2000 to be the best inning of his career where he scored 233 not out.
- In 1992, Sachin was selected to represent Yorkshire that made him the first foreigner to play for them where he played 16 first-class matches scoring a total of 1070 runs.
- He made his international test debut in November 1989 at the age of 16 years against Pakistan. He made just 15 runs and was dismissed by Waqar Younis.
- In an interview, he revealed the story behind the 2004 Australia tour where he was unable to perform well in the first few matches. A day before the big match, he went out to dine at a Malaysian restaurant in Australia accompanied by his family and teammate Ajit Agarkar and ordered Malaysian, sushi, and Japanese food. He went on to score an unbeaten 241 in the first innings, went to the same restaurant ordering the same food and went on to score 60 not out in the 2nd innings.
- Famous Hollywood actor Daniel Radcliffe is a huge fan of Sachin Tendulkar and apparently stood in a queue just to get his autograph.
- He is a religious person and a devotee of the Indian deity Lord Ganesha.
- Sachin has been a disciple of the Indian spiritual guru Satya Sai Baba.
- Besides being a cricketer, he is also a business person and owns 2 restaurants called Tendulkar’s in Colaba Mumbai and Sachin’s in Mulund Mumbai and Bangalore.
- He also co-owns Kochi’s Indian Super League Football Team. The name of the team is Kerala Blasters that is a tribute to his nickname Master Blaster.
- He was placed at number 51 in the Forbes list of “World’s Highest Played Sportsperson” in 2013. In the same year, Wealth-X estimated his Net Worth to be $160 million which made him India’s wealthiest cricket player.
- Sachin has also served as the spokesperson for National Egg Coordination Committee and AIDS Awareness Campaign.
- He is also the recipient of many prestigious awards such as the Arjuna Award (1994) for his outstanding achievements in sports, the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award (1997) that is India’s highest sporting honor, the Padma Shri (1999) that is India’s fourth-highest civilian award and Padma Vibhushan (2008) that is India’s second-highest civilian award.
- He officially retired from cricket on November 16, 2013, and just moments after his retirement, the Office of Prime Minister announced that he would be awarded Bharat Ratna, that is India’s highest civilian award after which Sachin became the youngest-ever recipient and first-ever sportsperson to receive the Bharat Ratna.
- Throughout his career, there were various books written on him including his autobiography titled Playing It My Way that came out in November 2014. The book’s name made it to the Limca Book of Records in the year 2016 as it got the highest number of adult hardback pre-publication orders, with 1,50,289 copies confirmed to be published.
- In 2017, his docudrama-biographical sports film titled Sachin: A Billion Dreams graced the big screen.
- In March 2021, it was revealed that he had been tested positive for coronavirus.
- In April 2021, Sachin donated INR 10 million to India’s ‘Mission Oxygen’ as India was fighting with the second wave of COVID-19. The funds would be used to buy oxygen concentrators for the hospitals.
- In July 2021, Sachin introduced his own pet dog named Spike with his social media fans.
- In July 2021, Sachin had invested $2 million in JetSynthesys, a digital entertainment and technology company.
- In October 2021, Sachin’s name appeared in Pandora Papers, according to which he was the beneficial owner of a company based in the British Virgin Islands (BVI). His wife Anjali and her father were also named in the same paper.
- In late 2021, he had purchased a black-colored Porsche 911 Turbo S supercar worth 3.08 crores ex-showroom and had put his BMW 530d M Sport on sale. Previously, he owned several expensive sports cars such as the Nissan GT-R, BMW i8, BMW X5M, BMW 7-Series Li, and Ferrari 360 Modena.
- In 2021, Sachin was ranked #35 in the list of “50 Most Influential People on Twitter” as per Brandwatch Consumer Research. Taylor Swift was ranked #1.
- In January 2022, former Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar had claimed that Sachin would have made 1 lakh international runs if 3 reviews (UDRS) were there during his time.
- In October 2022, Sachin had invested in and partnered with Rario, which is a licensed digital cricket collectible platform, for his exclusive NFTs. Before him, the company had exclusively partnered with Aaron Finch, Quinton de Kock, Shakib Al Hasan, Rishabh Pant, Zaheer Khan, Virender Sehwag, Smriti Mandhana, Cricket Australia, New Zealand Cricket, and many others.
- In February 2023, Sachin was announced to be honored with a life-size statue at Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai.
- In March 2023, Sachin suggested splitting an ODI match (of 100 overs total) into 4 quarters of 25 overs so that if a batter is out, he would be out only for 25 overs (and not the entire 50 overs). Moreover, this format of ODI cricket would help to remove the ‘dew factor’ and ‘toss’ from the equation.
- In 2023, Sachin and Arjun Tendulkar became the first father-son pair to play in the IPL.
- In May 2023, he filed a police complaint at the Mumbai Crime Branch because his name, picture, and voice were being used in fake advertisements on the internet to scam people.
- In 2023, he bought a blue-colored Lamborghini Urus S sports SUV car worth ₹4.18 crores (ex-showroom).
- In July 2023, Sachin was announced as the “national icon” by the Election Commission of India (ECI). It was revealed that he had signed a 3-year MoU to promote voter awareness in the electoral process.
- In 2023, he was involved in a controversy after he endorsed the fantasy game app PayTM First Game. Independent MLA Bachchu Kadu’s party workers protested outside Sachin’s home.
- In September 2023, Tendulkar gifted the ‘NAMO’ Team India jersey to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the occasion of the foundation stone laying ceremony for the international cricket stadium in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- In November 2023, Sachin’s grand statue was unveiled at Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai.
- In March 2023, he invested INR 5 crore in Hyderabad-based Azad Engineering which turned to over INR 31 crore in just 9 months due to the company’s IPO in the Indian stock market in December 2023. With this, he received over 500% return in just 9 months.
- In December 2023, it was revealed that Sachin’s family office had purchased shares of FirstCry ahead of the company’s initial public offering (IPO).
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / bollywoodhungama.com / CC BY 3.0