|Rishabh Pant Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||October 4, 1997|
Rishabh Pant is an Indian professional cricketer, best known for playing for squads such as Delhi, starting in 2015, Delhi Capitals/Daredevils starting in 2016, and the Indian national squad starting in 2017. Rishabh started his domestic career in India with a 1st-class debut on October 22, 2015, in the 2015-2016 Ranji Trophy competition, and his List A debut on December 23, 2015, in the 2015–16 Vijay Hazare Trophy. The very next season in the Ranji Trophy, in a match against Maharashtra, he scored 308 runs in an innings and became the 3rd-youngest Indian to do so in the 1st-class cricket. On February 6, 2016, Delhi Daredevils bought him for Rs 1.9 crore, which was worth around $276k in late July 2019, and he played in the 2016 IPL auction, made 69 runs from 40 balls, and helped his team to their 8th victory over Gujarat Lions. In 2018 IPL, while playing for Delhi Daredevils, Rishabh scored 128 not out from 63 balls against the opponent, Sunrisers Hyderabad, and set the 2nd-highest individual score in a Twenty20 match, just a little behind the 1st place, Virender Sehwag with a score of 134.
He was named part of India’s national squad in the Twenty20 International in January 2017 and made his debut on February 1, 2017, against England. Rishabh went on to make his Test debut on August 18, 2018, against England, and a month later, scored his maiden Test century once again against England. That feat made him the 2nd-youngest wicket-keeper and the 1st Indian wicket-keeper to score a Test century in England. A little more than a month later, on October 21, 2018, Rishabh made his ODI debut for the India national squad against the West Indies, and on December 2018, took 11 catches in the 1st Test against Australia, which was the most caught by an Indian wicket-keeper in a Test match. In January 2019, International Cricket Council (ICC) named him “Emerging Player of the Year”, and following the conclusion of the 2019 World Cup, Rishabh was also named “Rising Star of the Squad” by the ICC as well. He has also amassed a large fanbase online with more than 3 million followers on Instagram and more than 1.5 million followers on Facebook.
Rishabh Rajendra Pant
Roorkee, Uttarakhand, India
New Delhi, Delhi, India
- Father – Rajendra Pant (Deceased, 2017)
- Mother – Saroj Pant
- Siblings – Sakshi Pant (Sister) (Social Media Star)
Rishabh Pant is represented by –
- Professional Management Group (PMG) (Manager) in Prabhadevi, Mumbai, India
- Cornerstone (Talent Agent, Manager) in Bandra, Maharashtra, India
77 – U-19 WC 2016
777 – Delhi Daredevils, T20I 2018
17 – Delhi Daredevils, T20I 2019
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Rishabh Pant has dated –
- Isha Negi (2019-Present) – He introduced his girlfriend, who is an entrepreneur, and interior decor designer named Isha Negi in January 2019. After he tagged her on social media, her Instagram fanbase arose from 40k followers to more than 130k followers.
Race / Ethnicity
- Slicked back undercut haircut
- Athletic physique
Rishabh Pant has endorsed brands such as –
- Star Sports
- Himalaya Herbals
- Dream 11
- Oppo (2019)
Best Known For
- Batting at number 4 in 4 matches played for India at the beginning of the 2019 World Cup after he replaced Shikhar Dhawan due to his thumb injury, and scoring 116 runs in total at the 2019 World Cup
- Becoming the 2nd-youngest wicket-keeper and the 1st Indian wicket-keeper to score a Test century in England in late 2018
- Being the 1st wicket-keeper for India to score a century in a Test match in Australia, in the 4th Test match in January 2019
- Breaking the record for the most catches by an Indian wicket-keeper in 4 Test matches with a number of 20
- Replacing MS Dhoni, the former captain of the Indian squad at the tour of the West Indies in late 2019
First Cricket Match
On February 1, 2017, Rishabh made his Twenty20 International debut for India in a match against England held at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bangalore, Karnataka, India. At that point in time, Rishabh was the youngest ever Indian player to debut at T20I, at the age of 19 years and 120 days.
On August 18, 2018, Rishabh made his Test debut in a match against England and became the 1st batsman from India that made the mark in Test cricket with a 6.
On October 21, 2018, Rishabh made his One Day International debut for India in a match against the West Indies.
His 1st coach, Tarak Sinha, who taught him at the Sonnet Cricket Academy, advised him to go to Rajasthan and play U-13 and U-15 cricket. He was also told by his coach that he needed to completely change his batting technique which was based on hand-eye coordination if he wanted to be a better batsman. Rishabh wasn’t so fortunate in his goals, as he was rejected from the Rajasthan Cricket Association for being an “outsider.” In 2019, he said that the most valuable thing his coach taught him was to always add something new every year because the technology was rapidly improving as well.
Rishabh Pant Favorite Things
- Activities – Hiking, Swimming
- Role Models – MS Dhoni, Adam Gilchrist
- Movie – Baghban (2003)
- Song – Helplessly by Tatiana Manaois
- Book – Panchatantra by Vishnu Sharma
- Celebrity Crush – Shraddha Kapoor
- Destination – Australia
- Car – Mercedes Benz GLC
- Quote – “Life is simple. Wake up. Give life your best shot. Repeat.”
Rishabh Pant Facts
- Rishabh’s dad decided he will have to move to New Delhi from his hometown of Roorkee at a young age. The reason was that his hometown had no 1st-class team. The whole family supported him in chasing his dreams.
- He suffered a personal tragedy in April 2017, because his dad passed away in his sleep. Rishabh had to find out the sad news while he was training with the Delhi Daredevils.
- He used to eat and sleep at the historic landmark of Gurudwara Moti Bagh in New Delhi, Delhi, India, while he was training cricket away from his hometown.
- Rishabh has revealed about himself: “There is no specific way or style I play in. I always play according to the situation. I don’t know what people say, because I don’t read newspapers much.”
- His role model, wicket-keeper MS Dhoni, taught him to stay calm in high-pressure situations, and always gave him a chance to ask questions and give suggestions at the dressing room, which Rishabh felt was a great thing, and he felt respected and heard.
- He is sure that playing Test cricket before ODI helped him be better at it, as he considers Tests to be the most difficult form of cricket.
- He and Virat Kohli were ridiculed on social media for their attempt to rap in a TV commercial for Himalaya Men in May 2019.
- At the end of Tests in late 2019, Rishabh finished as the 2nd-highest run-scorer from either side, with a number of 350 runs at an average, behind Cheteshwar Pujara with 521. He achieved his highest score of over 58 with 159 not out in the final Test.
- After he became the 1st Indian wicket/keeper to score a hundred (century) in Australia in 2019, he became a part of the “elite” team. Only 3 Indian wicket-keepers besides him managed to achieve a score of more than 150 in Test cricket – Nayan Mongia, Budhi Kunderan, and MS Dhoni.
- In 2019, Rishabh stated that he didn’t miss leading the life of an average 21-year-old because he dreamed of being a cricketer since childhood. However, he felt that there was a slight chance he might regret it a bit in 10 to 15 years.
- In July 2021, Rishabh was tested positive for coronavirus when in England for the five-match Test series. He was asymptomatic. As a quarantine measure, he had to skip a practice match in Durham before the start of the series.
Featured Image by Rishabh Pant / Instagram