Mahendra Singh Dhoni
Mahi, MSD, MS, Captain Cool
Ranchi, Bihar (now in Jharkhand), India
Dhoni attended DAV Jawahar Vidya Mandir (now the school is known as JVM, Shyamli, Ranchi) in Shyamali, Ranchi, Jharkhand.
- Father – Pan Singh (MECON employee; worked at Junior Management position)
- Mother – Devki Devi
- Siblings – Narendra Singh Dhoni (Older Brother), Jayanti Gupta (Older Sister)
Right-hand medium. He had also done bowling in the past. Dhoni had taken one ODI wicket, when he bowled Travis Dowlin from the West Indies on September 30, 2009.
Wicket-keeper, India captain
7 (in One Day Internationals)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
75 kg or 165 pounds
Dhoni married Sakshi Singh Rawat (native of Dehradun, Uttarakhand) on July 4, 2010. They engaged a day before their marriage. And, it was decided months before, says Bipasha Basu, Bollywood actress and a close friend of MS Dhoni. Rawat had studied Hotel Management and was a trainee at Taj Bengal, Kolkata when she married.
Race / Ethnicity
Cool style of playing; often regarded as captain cool
His body measurements are not known.
He is believed to be wearing a shoe of size 11. However, it is not confirmed.
Dhoni has numerous endorsements deals.
- 2005 – Pepsico, Reebok, Exide, TVS Motors.
- 2006 – Mysore Sandal Soap, Videocon, Reliance Communications, Reliance Energy, Orient PSPO Fan, Bharat Petroleum, Titan Sonata, Brylcreem, NDTV, GE Money.
- 2007 – Siyaram.
- 2008 – Fashion at Big Bazaar alongside Asin (Bollywood actress), Maha Choco, Boost (health food), Dainik Bhaskar
- 2009 – Dabur Honey, Kolkata Fashion Week, Aircel communications, Nova Scottia Premium shirts.
- 2010 – Amrapali
In 2007, he was connected with 17 brands as their ambassador or spokesperson. Apart from the above mentioned, he also signed a deal with Gameplan Sports (Kolkata-based celebrity management company) way back in 2005. In 2010, he connected with Rhiti Sports Management and Mindscapes.
Hindu. He identifies himself as being Rajput.
Best Known For
Playing cricket and staying at number 1 position in the ICC ODI Batsman rankings in 2009 continuously for many months.
Dhoni played his first One Day International on 23 December 2004 vs Bangladesh.
First T20I Match
He played his first T20 International match on 1 December 2006 vs South Africa.
First Test Match
He played his debut test match on 2 December 2005 vs Sri Lanka.
Dhoni had a small role in 2010 Hindi language film Hook Ya Crook starring John Abraham and Genelia D’Souza.
First TV Show
The only TV show he appears in is the cricket matches in various formats like first class cricket, ODI, test, and T20.
According to Nidsun, he eats a well-balanced diet and also works out a little bit. He does exercises in the form of badminton and yes, in the form of practice sessions, which he has to go through.
Although all players have to eat a diet as guided by The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). But, Dhoni’s diet is as follows –
In breakfast, Mahi likes to eat porridge (large bowl), 200ml milk with some almonds and raisins. He continues with 250ml fresh fruit juice.
When at his house, he enjoys eating dal, bhat, and tarkari with some pickles to add more taste.
The afternoon meal, lunch consists of Chapatis (3 or 4) with chicken/ dal and tarkari. The taste is added with some yogurt, pickles, 100 grams mixed nuts. To make the diet more balanced and to get the remaining nutrients, he eats mixed vegetable salad.
Evening snack is generally a chicken sandwich.
His dinner is same as that of lunch plus some fruits as a nutritious sweet dish.
During practice sessions, the player keeps himself energized by drinking Gatorade throughout.
Just after intense workouts, MSD has some whey protein powder (or some protein shake), nuts and seeds.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni Favorite Things
- Food – Chicken Tikka Pizza, Butter Chicken Masala with Nan
- Idols – Sachin Tendulkar (Cricketer), Amitabh Bachchan (Bollywood actor), Lata Mangeshkar (Singer)
Mahendra Singh Dhoni Facts
- Dhoni has served as the Vice-President of India Cements Limited (ICL).
- ICL owned the IPL team, Chennai Super Kings.
- He was connected with Air India earlier but resigned later.
- He is an Adam Gilchrist (Australian cricketer) fan.
- During his school time, he was actually good at badminton and football. Dhoni was selected to represent his school at district and club levels for these sports.
- In football, he is good at the goalkeeper position. Once, he was sent to play cricket by his football coach to play at a local club. He excelled there and soon was sent to other areas, where he again played extremely well. So, he focused on cricket after his 10th standard.
- In 2013, he was having 20 endorsement deals, which was one less than Shah Rukh Khan‘s (He had 21 at that time).
- He has bowled 108 balls in First Class cricket, 12 in ODI, and finally 78 in Test cricket and has taken 1 wicket in ODI by giving 14 runs.
- From 2001 to 2003, Dhoni was a Train Ticket Examiner (TTE) at Kharagpur railway station.
- During his stay at the railway quarters during that time, he once fooled the society people with the help of his friends by wearing white bedsheets and moving around in the night. The night guards believed that there are actually ghost roaming over there.
- From 1999/2000 – 2004/2005, he played domestic cricket for Bihar (or Jharkhand). Post that, from 2008, he is leading Chennai Super Kings team.
- He had been awarded ICC ODI Player of the Year in 2008 and 2009.
- For all of his latest matches and other records, visit Cricinfo.com.
- Dhoni has also launched his own gym and fitness center at Ambience Mall, New Delhi.
- He is a bike lover and owns more than 25 bikes. Recently, he also fell in love with one of the security dog – Golden Retriever.
- He was called Captain Cool and does not pay attention to the match’s results after it is over. He said – “I switch off once the matches are over.”
- Catch Dhoni on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.