|Anupam Kher Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||March 7, 1955|
Anupam Kher is a widely acclaimed Indian actor and the former Chairman of the Film and Television Institute of India (October 11, 2017, to October 31, 2018). He has appeared in more than 500 films in different languages. The Government of India conferred upon him the Padma Shri in 2004 and the Padma Bhushan in 2016 as a tribute to his contribution in the field of cinema and arts.
Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India
New York City, New York, United States
Kher went to D. A. V. School in Shimla. In 1978, Kher completed his graduation from the National School of Drama (NSD) in New Delhi.
Actor, Producer, Director
- Father – Pushkarnath Kher (Clerk)
- Mother – Dulari Kher
- Siblings – Raju Kher (Younger Brother) (Actor, Director)
- Others – Thakhar Singh Sandhu (Father-in-law) (Actor), Vrinda Kher (Niece) (Actress), Pranit Kher (Nephew) (Assistant Director)
He is represented by United Agents Ltd. and LINK Entertainment.
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
72 kg or 159 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Anupam Kher has dated –
- Madhumalati – The couple got married in 1979. However, the marriage did not work out.
- Kirron Kher (1985-Present) – In 1985, he married actress and member of the Indian parliament, Kirron Kher.
- He also has a stepson, Sikander Kher, who is an actor.
- Oval face
- Mole on the left cheek
He has endorsed the following brands –
- Red Label Tea
- Domino’s Pizza
- Bajaj Capital
Anupam Kher Favorite Things
- Books – Autobiographies of Charlie Chaplin and Kirk Douglas
- Political Party – Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP)
- Politician – Narendra Modi
- Attitude Towards Life – You cannot be popular with the whole world. You have to first respect and be popular with yourself.
Source – India Today
Anupam Kher Facts
- In his struggling days as an actor in Mumbai, Kher sometimes did not have enough money even to eat food. He slept on a railway platform for a month.
- Before becoming famous, Kher would use his fair complexion and skills to mimic people, especially foreigners. He would visit eateries, pretend to be a foreigner, taste things, and leave. People would believe him and never ask for money.
- As of October 2019, Kher has won 8 Filmfare Awards.
- In 1984, he received the Filmfare Award for “Best Actor” for his performance in Saaransh (1984).
- Kher has been the recipient of the National Film Awards for his performances in Daddy (1989) and Maine Gandhi Ko Nahin Mara (2005).
- He has been one of the founding members of People for Animals, founded in 1992.
- He has received the Filmfare Award for “Best Performance in a Comic Role” numerous times for his roles in films like Ram Lakhan (1989), Lamhe (1991), Khel (1992), Darr (1993) and Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge (1995).
- Kher has been a part of various highest-grossing Bollywood blockbuster movies including Hum Aapke Hain Koun (1994), Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995), Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998), and Haseena Maan Jaayegi (1999).
- He began directing films with Om Jai Jagadish in 2002.
- In 2008, he starred as Police Commissioner Rathor in the critically and commercially acclaimed movie, A Wednesday.
- He has appeared in many Marathi films such as Thoda Tuza…Thoda Maza (2013).
- Kher has also hosted TV shows like The Anupam Kher Show – Kucch Bhi Ho Sakta Hai (2014).
- He has also appeared in international films such as the Golden Globe-nominated Bend It Like Beckham (2002) and Ang Lee’s Golden Lion-winning Lust, Caution (2007).
- Kher starred in the critically acclaimed 2012 film, Silver Linings Playbook, which starred Jennifer Lawrence in her Oscar–winning role.
- In 2015, the city of Las Vegas, Nevada, had declared September 10th as “Anupam Kher Day”.
- In 2019, Kher played the role of former Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the film The Accidental Prime Minister.
- Kher has written his autobiography titled Lessons Life Taught Me Unknowingly that got published in August 2019.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / www.bollywoodhungama.com / CC BY-3.0