|Charlie Chaplin Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||April 16, 1889|
|Date of Death||December 25, 1977|
Charlie Chaplin was an English comic actor, composer, comedian, director, screenwriter, producer, and editor who gained worldwide acclaim in the silent film period with his screen persona “The Tramp”. With a career that spanned more than 75 years, he is considered one of the film industry’s most important and iconic figures. In 1972, Charlie Chaplin received an Honorary Academy Award for “the incalculable effect he has had in making motion pictures the art form of this century”.
Charles Spencer Chaplin Jr.
Charlie, Charlot, The Little Tramp
He was born on April 16, 1889.
On December 25, 1977, Charlie Chaplin died after suffering a stroke in his sleep at the age of 88 in his home in Corsier-sur-Vevey, Switzerland.
Cimetière de Corsier-sur-Vevey, Corsier-sur-Vevey, Switzerland
London, England, United Kingdom
Charlie Chaplin was sent to Central London District School.
Comic Actor, Composer, Comedian, Director, Screenwriter, Producer, Editor
- Father – Charles Spencer Chaplin Sr. (Singer)
- Mother – Hannah Chaplin (née Hill) (Actor, Singer, Dancer)
- Siblings – Sydney John Chaplin (né Hill) (Older Maternal Half-Brother) (Actor), Wheeler Dryden (Younger Maternal Half-Brother) (Actor, Film Director)
- Others – Spencer Chaplin (Paternal Grandfather) (Butcher), Ellen Elizabeth Smith (Paternal Grandmother), Charles Frederick Hill (Maternal Grandfather) (Shoemaker), Mary Ann Terry (Maternal Grandmother), Oona Chaplin (Granddaughter) (Actor)
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, his net worth was $400 Million at the time time of his death.
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Charlie Chaplin had dated –
- Sigrid Holmquist
- Lila Lee
- Josephine Dunn
- Dolores del Rio
- May Reeves
- Peggy Pearce
- Tallulah Bankhead
- Rebecca West
- Dagmar Godowsky
- Hetty Kelly (1908)
- Mabel Normand (1914)
- Edna Purviance (1916-1918) – Between 1916 and 1918, he dated American actor Edna Purviance who went on to appear in 35 films with Chaplin over 8 years. Responding to an interviewer after her death, Chaplin said, “How could I forget Edna?”, adding, “She was with me when it all began.”
- Mildred Harris (1918-1920) – In September 1918, he secretly married the 16-year-old actor Mildred Harris to avoid controversy after she revealed that she was pregnant with his child. The pregnancy turned out to be false. On July 7, 1919, she gave birth to their son named Norman Spencer Chaplin who was born malformed and died 3 days later. In April 1920, the marriage ended and Chaplin explained in his autobiography that they were “irreconcilably mismated”.
- Barbara La Marr (1920-1921)
- May Collins (1921-1922) – He was once engaged to May Collins.
- Claire Windsor (1921)
- Pola Negri (1922-1923)
- Peggy Hopkins Joyce (1922)
- Lita Grey (1924-1927) – He married actor Lita Grey in a discreet marriage ceremony in Mexico on November 25, 1924, after the surprise announcement of her pregnancy. She was 16 and he was 35 at the time, meaning Chaplin could have been charged with statutory rape under California law. They were blessed with 2 sons – Charles Spencer Chaplin III (b. May 5, 1925) and Sydney Earl Chaplin (b. March 30, 1926). The marriage was unhappy and she left the family home with the children in November 1926. They divorced in 1927 as Chaplin’s lawyers agreed to a cash settlement of $600,000, the largest awarded by American courts at that time.
- Georgia Hale (1924)
- Mary Miles Minter (1925)
- Louise Brooks (1926)
- Marion Davies (1926-1931)
- Merna Kennedy (1927)
- Lupe Velez (1928)
- Virginia Bradford (1929-1930)
- Sari Maritza (1931-1933)
- Paulette Goddard (1932-1942) – He met American actor Paulette Goddard in July 1932 and they married in secret in Canton, China in June 1936. She was granted a Mexican divorce from Chaplin on June 4, 1942.
- Jinx Falkenburg (1938)
- Carole Landis (1938-1942)
- Hedy Lamarr (1941-1942)
- Oona O’Neill (1943-1977) – He married the 18-year-old Oona O’Neill, the daughter of American playwright Eugene O’Neill, on June 16, 1943. He was 54 years old at the time and their 36-year age gap received massive media attention. The duo remained married until his death and had 8 children over 18 years – daughter Geraldine Leigh Chaplin (b. July 1944), son Michael John (b. March 1946), daughter Josephine Hannah (b. March 1949) (Died in 2023), daughter Victoria (b. May 1951), son Eugene Anthony (b. August 1953), daughter Jane Cecil (b. May 1957), daughter Annette Emily (b. December 1959), and son Christopher James (b. July 1962).
Race / Ethnicity
He was of English and Irish descent.
- A tramp with a toothbrush mustache, undersized bowler hat, and bamboo cane
- Highly descriptive facial expressions
- Comedy with an undercurrent of pathos
Charlie Chaplin’s “The Tramp” image was used by IBM to advertise their personal computers throughout the 1980s.
Although he appeared to be agnostic, he had an Anglican funeral as per his wishes.
Charlie Chaplin Favorite Things
- Film – Battleship Potemkin (1925)
- Film That He Starred In – City Lights (1931)
- Composer – Richard Wagner
Charlie Chaplin Facts
- He regarded his mother to be his first influence.
- Along with Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks Sr., and D. W. Griffith, he co-founded the United Artists in January 1919.
- On April 10, 1972, he was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6751 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.
- Adolf Hitler wore the same mustache style as Chaplin. Interestingly, Charlie Chaplin was born 4 days before Adolf Hitler.
- According to his authorized biographer David Robinson, Charlie Chaplin’s life trajectory became “the most dramatic of all the rags to riches stories ever told”.
Featured Image by Cassowary Colorizations / Flickr / CC BY 2.0