|Douglas Fairbanks Sr. Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||May 23, 1883|
|Date of Death||December 12, 1939|
Douglas Fairbanks Sr. was an American actor, stage artist, screenwriter, director, and producer who is considered one of the greatest artists of the 1910s and 1920s and is best known for his swashbuckling roles in silent films. Moreover, he co-founded United Artists as well as The Motion Picture Academy.
Douglas Elton Thomas Ullman
Doug, The King of Hollywood
He was born on May 23, 1883.
On December 12, 1939, Douglas Fairbanks Sr. died at 56 after suffering a heart attack in Santa Monica, California, United States.
Denver, Colorado, United States
During his last years, he resided at 705 Ocean Front (later Pacific Coast Highway) in Santa Monica, California, United States.
Douglas Fairbanks Sr. got enrolled at Denver East High School but was expelled for cutting the wires on the school piano. He also claimed to have attended Colorado School of Mines and Harvard University.
Actor, Stage Artist, Screenwriter, Director, Producer
- Father – Hezekiah Charles Ullman
- Mother – Ella Adelaide (née Marsh)
- Siblings – Robert Payne Ullman (Older Brother), John Fairbanks Jr. (Older Maternal Half-Brother), Norris Wilcox (Older Maternal Half-Brother)
- Others – Lazarus Ullman (Paternal Grandfather), Lydia Abrams (Paternal Grandmother)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
67 kg or 147.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Douglas Fairbanks Sr. had dated –
- Marguerite De La Motte
- Clara Bow
- Renée Adorée
- Billie Dove
- Margery Wilson
- Dorothy West
- Virginia Rappe
- Tallulah Bankhead
- Anna Beth Sully (1907-1918) – Fairbanks got married to Anna Beth Sully on July 11, 1907, in Watch Hill, Rhode Island. She was the daughter of wealthy industrialist Daniel J. Sully. Douglas and Anna had a son named Douglas Fairbanks Jr. (December 9, 1909 – May 7, 2000) who went on to become a noted actor. In 1915, the family shifted to Los Angeles. Following his romance with Mary Pickford, Anna was granted a divorce from Fairbanks in late 1918 and the judgment was finalized early the following year.
- Marjorie Daw (1917-1918)
- Mary Pickford – He met Canadian actor and producer Mary Pickford at a party in 1916 and they soon started dating while he was still married to Sully. They joined Fairbanks’s friend Charlie Chaplin and toured the U.S. together to promote Liberty Bond sales for the World War I effort. After his divorce from Sully, Douglas Fairbanks finally gave Pickford an ultimatum as she was still married to actor Owen Moore. On March 2, 1920, Pickford divorced Owen Moore and soon after married Fairbanks on March 28, 1920, in what was described as the “marriage of the century”. The public was enthralled with the idea of “Everybody’s Hero” marrying “America’s Sweetheart” and the couple was referred to as the King and Queen of Hollywood as well as were regarded as “Hollywood royalty”. However, the marriage ended after Fairbanks began dating Sylvia, Lady Ashley in the early 1930s. Douglas and Pickford separated in 1933 and divorced on January 10, 1936.
- Barbara La Marr (1920)
- Mary Astor (1924)
- Lupe Velez (1927)
- Sylvia, Lady Ashley – Douglas Fairbanks started a romantic relationship with Sylvia, Lady Ashley (an English model, actor, and socialite) in the early 1930s and they eventually got married in Paris in March 1936. They remained together until his death on December 12, 1939.
Race / Ethnicity
Douglas Fairbanks Sr. was of Ashkenazi Jewish descent on his father’s side and had English ancestry on his mother’s side.
- Performed most of his stunts himself
- Small feet
Douglas Fairbanks Sr. Facts
- His paternal grandparents immigrated to the United States in 1830 from Baden, Germany.
- His mother gave him the family name “Fairbanks” after her first husband John Fairbanks.
- Along with D. W. Griffith, Charlie Chaplin, and Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks Sr. co-founded United Artists in 1919.
- He hosted the 1st Academy Awards in 1929.
- Reportedly, Douglas Fairbanks Sr.’s last words were: “I’ve never felt better.”
Featured Image by Harris & Ewing / United States Library of Congress’s Prints and Photographs Division / Public Domain
Where is his eye color and hair color?
Since he is from the “black and white” era, we couldn’t find his hair and eye colors.
Douglas Fairbanks height was 5’8″ and weight was 70 kg.
The stats say 5’8″ (1.73 m) and 70 kg (154 pounds)
His eye color was light brown and his hair color was dark brown.
You can tell from the pictures that his hair color is either dark brown or black. And his eyes light brown
Height: 5’8″ (172.5 cm)
Weight: 68 kg (150 pounds)