|Kirron Kher Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||June 14, 1952|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Kirron Kher is an Indian actor, politician, theatre artist, television personality, singer, entertainment producer, and socio-political activist. She has been cast in a variety of films including Dostana, Singh Is Kinng, Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna, Om Shanti Om, Punjab 1984, Khoobsurat, Main Hoon Na, Total Siyapaa, Ajab Gazabb Love, Khamosh Pani, Action Replayy, Milenge Milenge, Kambakkht Ishq, Saas Bahu Aur Sensex, Kurbaan, Just Married, Apne, I See You, Rang De Basanti, Mangal Pandey: The Rising, Fanaa, Veer–Zaara, Karz: The Burden of Truth, Ehsaas: The Feeling, Devdas, Bariwali/The Lady of the House, Darmiyaan: In Between, Sardari Begum, and Pestonjee. In 2009, she joined the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP).
Kiran Thakar Singh Sandhu
Kirron Kher, Kiran Berry (when she was married to Gautam Berry), Kiran Thakar Singh Kher
Bangalore, Mysore State, India
She has residences in –
- Chandigarh, India
- Haryana, India
- Punjab, India
- Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Kirron Kher studied at a school in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh. Afterward, she finished her school education in Chandigarh. She then got enrolled at Panjab University (PU) in Chandigarh and graduated from the Department of Indian Theatre.
Actor, Politician, Theatre Artist, Television Personality, Singer, Entertainment Producer, Socio-Political Activist
- Father – Colonel Thakur Singh Sandhu (Army Officer)
- Mother – Diljit Kaur (Theatre Artist)
- Siblings – Amardeep Singh Sandhu (Brother) (Artist) (Died in 2003), Sharanjit Kaur Sandhu (Sister), Kanwal Thakar Singh (b. Kanwal Thakar Kaur) (Younger Sister) (Former Badminton Player, Arjuna Award Recipient)
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Kirron Kher has dated –
- Gautam Berry (1979-1985) – She got married to Mumbai-based businessperson Gautam Berry in the first week of March 1979. The duo was blessed with a son named Sikander Kher on October 31, 1981. Gautam Berry and Kirron Kher divorced in 1985.
- Anupam Kher (1985-Present) – In 1985, she married actor and theatre artist Anupam Kher whom she had known slightly at university in Chandigarh. They also worked together in a play titled Chandpuri Ki Champabai.
Race / Ethnicity
Kirron Kher is of Punjabi Jatt Sikh descent of the Sandhu clan.
She was raised in a Sikh household.
Kirron Kher Facts
- She was raised in Chandigarh.
- Kirron Kher played the titular role in the 1996 musical film Sardari Begum and this won her the National Film Award in the “Special Jury Award” category.
- Owing to her firm belief in numerology, she changed her first name from “Kiran” to “Kirron” based on numerological calculations at the age of 51 in 2003.
- Alongside Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Abhishek Bachchan, Rani Mukherji, and Preity Zinta, Kirron Kher co-starred as Kamaljit “Kamal” Saran (Dev’s mother) in the 2006 Hindi-language musical romantic drama film Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna. This performance earned her a Filmfare Award nomination for “Best Supporting Actress”.
- She appeared as Rani Kaur Acharya (Sam’s conservative mother) in the 2008 Hindi-language romantic comedy film Dostana, starring Abhishek Bachchan, John Abraham, and Priyanka Chopra. For this role, Kirron Kher was nominated for a Filmfare Award, Stardust Award, and International Indian Film Academy Award in the “Best Supporting Actress” category.
- In 2009, she started serving as a judge on the Hindi-language talent show India’s Got Talent.
- Kirron Kher received widespread criticism after a woman was gang r*ped by an auto-rickshaw driver and his accomplices in Chandigarh in 2017 because following the incident, Kher suggested that women should avoid traveling with strangers. This earned her much criticism from the opposition as well as on social media.
- In March 2023, it was revealed that Kirron had tested positive for COVID-19.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / bollywoodhungama.com / CC BY 3.0