|Preity Zinta Quick Info
|5 ft 2 in
|Date of Birth
|January 31, 1975
Preity Zinta is an Indian film actress and entrepreneur. Apart from acting, she owns a production company called PZNZ Media, co-owns of the Indian Premier League cricket team called Kings XI Punjab since 2008, and the South-African T20 Global League cricket team Stellenbosch Kings since 2017. She is best known for playing the role of Priya Bakshi in the Indian Hindi drama film Kya Kehna, playing the character of Nisha Mehra in Hindi-language science fiction film Koi… Mil Gaya, portraying the role of Naina Catherine Kapur in romantic comedy-drama film Kal Ho Na Ho and playing Zaara Hayat Khan in Indian romantic drama film Veer-Zaara among many others. She is considered one of the top actresses of the 2000s and was the female lead in 3 of India’s highest-grossing films of 2003.
Preity G Zinta
Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Preity Zinta attended the Convent of Jesus and Mary, a boarding school in Shimla, India. Later, she took admission at The Lawrence School. After completing her schooling, she went on to attend the St. Bede’s College in Shimla where she got her English honors degree and then started a graduate program in psychology. Her postgraduation was in criminal psychology but later took up modeling.
Actress, Producer, Entrepreneur
- Father – Durganand Zinta (Army Officer)
- Mother – Nilprabha Zinta
- Siblings – Deepankar Zinta (Older Brother), Manish Zinta (Younger Brother)
5 ft 2 in or 157.5 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Preity has dated-
- Marc Robinson (2000-2002) – In 2000 Preity was involved with Indian actor and model Marc Robinson. The relationship, however, did not last long and they parted ways in 2002.
- Ness Wadia (2006-2009) – Preity was in a serious relationship with Indian businessman Ness Wadia. They began dating in 2006 and separated in 2009.
- Shekhar Kapur – RUMOR
- Brett Lee (2009) – Preity was rumored to be dating Australian fast bowler Brett Lee in 2009.
- Yuvraj Singh – Rumor
- Gene Goodenough (2016- Present) – The Indian Actress tied the knot with American financial analyst Gene Goodenough in a private ceremony in Los Angeles, United States on February 29, 2016. In November 2021, the couple announced that they had welcomed twins Jai Zinta Goodenough & Gia Zinta Goodenough via surrogacy.
Race / Ethnicity
- Dimpled smile
- Chubby Face
Preity had done Endorsement work for brands like
- Cadbury Perk
Preity does not identify with any particular religion
Best Known For
- Being an Indian film actress and entrepreneur and playing the role of Priya Bakshi in the Indian Hindi drama film Kya Kehna, playing the character of Nisha Mehra in Hindi-language science fiction film Koi… Mil Gaya, portraying the role of Naina Catherine Kapur in romantic comedy-drama film Kal Ho Na Ho and playing Zaara Hayat Khan in Indian romantic drama film Veer-Zaara among many others
- Being the owner of production company PZNZ Media, a co-owner of the Indian Premier League cricket team Kings XI Punjab since 2008, and the owner of the South-African T20 Global League cricket team Stellenbosch Kings since 2017
- Being one amongst the female lead in India’s three highest-grossing films of 2003
Preity made her theatrical film debut in Indian romantic thriller film Dil Se.. in 1998. In this film, she played the role of Preity Nair alongside Shahrukh Khan and Manisha Koirala.
First TV Show
Preity made her first TV show appearance in the Indian quiz show Kaun Banega Crorepati in 2000.
As per an interview in 2018 Preity revealed that she was practicing yoga regularly. Besides that, she was also working out. Her routine included exercises such as planks, squats, lunges, jumping jacks, and such other stretching exercises.
When it came to maintaining a diet she preferred to eat 6-7 small meals in a day and drank a lot of water.
Preity Zinta Favorite Things
- Food – Kadhi Chawal
- TV Shows – The Simpsons
- Song – Main Yahan Hoon from Veer-Zaara
Preity Zinta Facts
- Preity’s father was an army officer who passed away in a tragic car accident when she was just 13. Her mother was also a part of the accident and was on bed rest for 2 years.
- She considers that accident as the major turning point of her life.
- As a child, she was a tomboy and due to her father’s military background, she lived a pretty disciplined life.
- In an interview, she revealed that she suffered a certain amount of loneliness when she was in boarding school.
- As a student, she was inclined towards literature and particularly loved the works of William Shakespeare and poetry and did pretty well in her exams.
- In school, she was also into sports and loved to play Basket Ball.
- In 1996, Preity met a director at a friend’s birthday party after which she went on to appear in her first TV commercial for Perk Chocolates.
- In 1997, while accompanying a friend to an audition she got a chance to meet the famous director Shekhar Kapur who asked her to audition and was impressed by her acting skills. After this event, she was about to make her film debut in Shekhar Kapur directed film Tara Rum Pum Pum opposite Hrithik Roshan but unfortunately, the film got canceled.
- It was Shekhar Kapur who recommended her for director Mani Ratnam‘s Dil Se.. that was her theatrical film debut.
- Apart from movies, she has also been a part of several stage shows and world tours. Her first world tour was a series of concerts called Craze 2001, which also included Bollywood stars like Anil Kapoor, Aamir Khan, Aishwarya Rai, and Gracy Singh. The show, however, got canceled later due to the 9/11 attacks.
- During 2008, Preity became the league’s youngest owner after she co-bought the Mohali-based Twenty20 cricket team Kings XI Punjab of the Indian Premier League along with Ness Wadia, Mohit Burman, and others. She later became the owner of South Africa’s T20 Global League team Stellenbosch Kings in 2017.
- Apart from acting, she has also worked as a column writer for BBC news online that she joined in 2004 and was pretty excited about it. Her first column was titled the changing face of Bollywood and was published in January 2004.
- In 2004, the actress narrowly escaped death when an explosion took place in a concert during the Temptation Tour in Colombo, Shri Lanka and again when the Indian Ocean earthquake occurred.
- In 2003, she was surrounded by controversies when she testified against the Indian Mafia and gave the statement that she had received extortion threats from the underworld during the shooting of her film Chori Chori Chupke Chupke. After the testimony, she was provided with witness protection and stayed out of public eyes for almost 2 months.
- On June 13, 2014, the actress filed a complaint against her then-boyfriend Ness Wadia and alleged him of molestation, threatening and abusing at an IPL match.
- Preity has been described by the press as someone having a bubbly and outgoing nature and the actress has confessed to disliking that image.
- In 2007 the actress was offered a lead role in a film Marigold which she turned down.
- She has received over 4 awards for 2000 family drama film Kya Kehna and over 7 awards for the film Kal Ho Na Ho in 2003.
- The actress is good friends with famous Bollywood personalities like Shah Rukh Khan, Abhishek Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Saif Ali Khan, Bobby Deol, Hrithik Roshan, and Karan Johar.
- In 2006, Preity was placed at 41 position on the UK magazine Eastern Eye‘s ‘Asia’s Sexiest Women’ list.
- In 2013, the actress took a break from the film industry and made her comeback in Neeraj Pathak’s action-comedy Bhaiaji Superhit in 2018 opposite Sunny Deol.
- Preity has appeared in Hindi, Telugu, Punjabi, and English films and was one of the most popular and highest-paid Hindi film actresses in the 2000s.
- She received the Best Female Debut Filmfare Award in the year 1999 for her movies Dil Se.. and Soldier.
- Her films like Koi… Mil Gaya (2003) and Veer-Zaara (2004) became 2 consecutive annual top-grossing films in India. The former was her biggest commercial success and the latter got her critical acclaim.
- Apart from the film industry Preity is also actively involved in charity and has particularly supported women’s causes in India including protesting against female infanticide and has also participated in AIDS awareness drives and campaigns to clean up Mumbai.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / bollywoodhungama.com / CC BY 3.0