|Shekhar Kapur Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||December 6, 1945|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Shekhar Kapur is a highly-distinguished Indian filmmaker and actor who is celebrated for directing classic movies such as Masoom (1983), Mr. India (1987), Bandit Queen (1994), Elizabeth (1998), Elizabeth: The Golden Age (2007), and What’s Love Got to Do with It? (2022).
Shekhar Kulbhushan Kapur
Lahore, Punjab, British India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Shekhar completed his high school education at a private school named Modern School located in New Delhi.
Furthermore, he attended St. Stephen’s College where he studied economics.
- Father – Kulbhushan Kapoor (Doctor)
- Mother – Sheel Kanta Kapoor
- Siblings – Neelu Kapur (Sister), Aruna Kapur (Sister), Sohaila Kapur (Younger Sister) (Actress, Journalist, Television Personality, Theater Director, Playwright)
- Others – Dev Anand (Maternal Uncle) (Actor, Writer, Director, Producer), Chetan Anand (Maternal Uncle) (Producer, Screenwriter, Director), Vijay Anand (Maternal Uncle) (Filmmaker, Producer, Screenwriter, Editor, Actor), Purab Kohli (Nephew) (Actor, Model, VJ)
Shekhar Kapur’s net worth was $25 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
71 kg or 156.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Shekhar Kapur has dated –
- Shabana Azmi – In the late 1970s, he dated the talented actress Shabana Azmi and the duo even lived together for a couple of years. However, they went their separate ways after 7 years together.
- Medha Gujral – His first marriage was to Medha Gujral, who was the niece of the former Indian Prime Minister Inder Kumar Gujral. The couple did not have any children and got divorced after a few years in 1994.
- Mona Ambegaonkar
- Suchitra Krishnamoorthi (1999-2007) – He tied the knot with popular actress Suchitra Krishnamoorthi in 1999. Suchitra is best remembered as the leading lady opposite Shahrukh Khan in the 1994 film, Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa. The duo welcomed a daughter named Kaveri Kapur before filing for divorce in 2007.
- Preity Zinta – RUMOR
Race / Ethnicity
However, his hair has turned mostly ‘Gray’ due to his increasing age.
He sports a beard and mustache.
Shekhar Kapur Favorite Things
- Movie – My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002)
Source – CinemaDailyUS.com
Shekhar Kapur Facts
- He received widespread international recognition for directing the period drama Elizabeth (1998), which depicted a fictional account of the 16th-century British monarch Queen Elizabeth I’s reign. The critically-acclaimed film starring Cate Blanchett in the titular role received 7 Academy Award nominations in total, with 1 win for ‘Best Makeup’.
- Before making his mark in the Hindi film industry, Shekhar worked as a chartered accountant and management consultant in England.
- In 2009, he appeared as a judge on season 1 of the reality television series India’s Got Talent alongside Sonali Bendre and Kirron Kher.
- Shekhar was awarded the Padma Shri, which is India’s fourth-highest civilian award, in 2000.
- He was close friends with the late actor, Satish Kaushik.
- Shekhar was notorious for walking away from film projects midway through filming, leaving other directors to step in and finish the job. Joshilaay (1989), Barsaat (1995), and Dushmani (1995), were among such films.
Featured Image by X Media Lab / Wikimedia / CC BY 2.0