|Rohit Sharma Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||April 30, 1987|
Rohit Sharma is an Indian cricketer who represents India in international cricket matches. He has also captained and vice-captained many international matches. Because his parents were financially weak, he grew up under the guidance of his grandparents and uncles. Rohit has many records to his name. One of his biggest accomplishments is when he scored 264 runs against Sri Lanka in a 2014 one-day match. The hitman had started his career as a bowler (off-spinner).
Rohit Gurunath Sharma
Nagpur, Maharashtra, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Rohit Sharma went to the Swami Vivekanand International School, which was suggested by his cricket coach Dinesh Lad because of the superior cricket facilities. As his family couldn’t afford the school fees, he was awarded a scholarship by the school.
- Father – Gurunath Sharma (Caretaker of a transport firm storehouse)
- Mother – Purnima Sharma
- Siblings – Vishal Sharma (Older Brother)
Rohit Sharma is represented by Cornerstone Sport & Entertainment.
Batsman (and part-time bowler)
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Rohit Sharma has dated
- Sofia Hayat
- Ritika Sajdeh (2015-Present) – In April 2015, he drove his girlfriend Ritika Sajdeh to the Borivali Sports Club and got down on a knee with a solitaire ring just after midnight. Borivali Sports Club is very special for him as he started his cricketing journey at the club at the age of 11. They had been dating for about 6 years by the time they got engaged. They had first met at the ad shoot. He was 20 years old at that time and Yuvraj Singh had told him off to stay away from Ritika as she was his sister. Rohit assured that he had just come to greet him. But during the shoot, she offered to help him as he was messing up his lines. That served as the start of their friendship. In December 2015, they got married in a lavish wedding ceremony at a five-star hotel in Mumbai. The wedding ceremony was attended by the leading cricketers and other celebrities. In December 2018, they welcomed a girl into their family.
Race / Ethnicity
- Elegant batting style
Rohit Sharma has a lucrative endorsement deal with CEAT as part of which he has to place the company’s sticker on his bat.
In February 2016, he was also made the global ambassador by the Japanese car manufacturer, Nissan. Plus, he has endorsed the luxury watch brand, Hublot.
He has also appeared in the TV commercials for the following
- OPPO F7
- Restless Action Drink
- Aristocrat (popular luggage brand) alongside his national teammate Ravichandran Ashwin
Best Known For
- Being one of the most prolific opening batsmen in ODI cricket. He has managed to smash more than 15 centuries, which also includes enormous double tons.
- Having served as the captain of the IPL team Mumbai Indians. He has managed to lead his team to multiple IPL titles.
First Test Match
In November 2013, Rohit made his test debut against West Indies at the Eden Gardens, Kolkata. He went on to score 177 in the debut innings as his side romped to a victory by an innings and 51 runs.
First ODI Match
In June 2007, Sharma made his first ODI appearance against Ireland in Belfast. However, he didn’t get an opportunity to bat.
First T20I Match
In September 2007, he made his T20 debut in ICC World Twenty20 against England. This was the eventful match in which Yuvraj Singh smashed Stuart Broad for 6 sixes in an over.
Rohit Sharma works hard in the gym to bring his fitness levels up to the high standards demanded by the national team captain Virat Kohli. Sharma’s gym workout regime is a mixture of weightlifting exercises and bodyweight exercises such as pushups.
When it comes to weightlifting exercises, he focuses on big Olympic lifts, machine exercises such as machine rows, and regular exercises such as squats. He also works on strengthening his core, which helps him in hitting long and big.
Rohit Sharma Favorite Things
- Food – Aloo paratha
- Street Food – Sev Puri and Pav Bhaji
Rohit Sharma Facts
- As his father wasn’t earning much, he was raised by his grandparents in Borivali, where he also lived with his uncles. He used to visit his parents only on the weekends.
- In 1999, he joined a cricket camp with his uncle paying his fees.
- In November 2014, he became the first cricketer to have scored over 250 runs in an ODI match. He went on to score 264 against Sri Lanka in that match.
- In 2017, he became the first batsman in ODI cricket to have scored three double centuries.
- He would have made his test debut in February 2010 against touring South Africa but he twisted his left foot while trying to catch a ball during a training session. He made his debut about 3 years later.
- He holds the distinction of being the first IPL captain to have led his team to three IPL titles.
- He got an opportunity to captain Mumbai Indians in IPL in the 2013 season after the regular captain Ricky Ponting was benched because of his poor form.
- Although he is known as one of the finest limited order batsmen, he started his career as an off-spinner. In his early Ranji career, he used to play as an all-rounder.
- He holds the distinction of being the first player in IPL to have scored a century as well as have a hattrick of wickets.
- He considers his hattrick against Mumbai Indians for Deccan Chargers in the 2009 IPL season as one of his biggest cricket accomplishments.
- Rohit holds the distinction of being the first player to have hit 16 sixes in an ODI inning. He is also the first player to have hit 33 fours in an inning.
- At the end of 2017, he became the first player to have smashed 66 sixes in a year.
- When he scored 106 against South Africa at Dharamsala in a T20 match, he became the second Indian player to have scored centuries in all three formats. Suresh Raina was the first player to have achieved the feat.
- For India’s fight against COVID-19 in 2020, Rohit had donated INR 80 lakhs in total – INR 45 lakhs to PM-CARES Fund, INR 25 lakhs to Maharashtra CM’s Relief Fund, INR 5 lakhs to Feeding India, and INR 5 lakhs for the welfare of street dogs.
- In September 2021, a picture of Rohit’s lookalike was getting viral on social media which was of a man having sharbat on the streets of Rawalpindi, Pakistan.
- In December 2021, Rohit purchased 4-acre land for INR 9 crores in Alibaug, Maharashtra in the name of his wife Ritika. Virat Kohli and Sachin Tendulkar also own land here.
- Rohit had scored the maximum runs for India in international cricket in the year 2021. He had scored 1,420 runs in 35 international innings in 2021.
Featured Image by Rohit Sharma / Instagram