|Kapil Dev Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||January 6, 1959|
Kapil Dev is a legendary Indian cricketer turned coach and businessman who came to prominence after India won its first Cricket World Cup in 1983 under his captaincy. Besides that, he is also known as one of the greatest all-rounders and captains in India of all-time.
Kapil Dev Ram Lal Nikhanj
The Haryana Hurricane, Paaji
Kapil Dev studied at the DAV Model School in Sector 15, Chandigarh.
Former Cricketer, Indian Cricket Team Coach, Businessman
- Father – Ram Lal Nikhanj (Timber Merchant)
- Mother – Raj Kumari Ram Lal Nikhanj
- Siblings – Bhushan Nikhanj (Brother), Ramesh Nikhanj (Brother). He also has 4 sisters.
6 ft or 183 cm
98 kg or 216 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Kapil Dev’s name has been linked with –
- Romi Bhatia (1980-Present) – The couple has a daughter named Amiya Dev (b. January 16, 1996).
Race / Ethnicity
Salt & Pepper
With age, Kapil Dev’s naturally brown hair has turned white.
- Curly thick hair
- Sports a thick mustache
- Tall physique
- He bowls outswings
Kapil Dev has appeared in commercials for various brands such as –
Kapil Dev Favorite Things
Source – YouTube
Kapil Dev Facts
- His parents lived in the Okara district, Pakistan where his 4 sisters were born. However, after the partition took place in 1947, his family relocated to Chandigarh where he was born and brought up.
- He met cricket coach Desh Prem Azad in 1971.
- In November 1975, he played his debut match against Punjab for Haryana and led Haryana to its victory. Thereafter, he added 121 wickets to his name in 30 matches.
- On October October 16, 1978, Kapil Dev played his debut Test match against Pakistan.
- In 1983, he became the first captain under which India won the Cricket World Cup.
- Through his career as an active player, he had achieved many incredible feats including “highest Test wicket-taker in the world.” He is also the only player to have played 164 innings without being run out and also the first player to have achieved the “all-rounder’s double of 4,000 Test runs and 400 Test wickets.”
- In 1999, he was appointed in the place of coach Anshuman Gaekwad as the Indian national team coach. However, he made a short run in the position as in the year 2000, he quit the post after being accused of match-fixing by former cricketer Manoj Prabhakar.
- In July 2002, he was named as one of the players who had been chosen for the “Wisden Indian Cricketer of the Century award.”
- He played himself in the film Iqbal (2005). It was a movie that was written by Vipul K Rawal.
- In 2008, he was made Lieutenant Colonel of the Indian Territorial Army.
- He has received various acclaimed awards such as Arjuna Award (1979, 1980), Padma Shri (1982), Padma Bhushan (1991), and CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement award (2013).
- Dev was inducted into the “ICC Cricket Hall of Fame” in 2010.
- In the year 2013, NDTV named him one of “The 25 Greatest Global Living Legends In India.”
- In 2017, it was announced that actor Ranveer Singh would be portraying the character of Kapil Dev in a biopic that was being directed by Kabir Khan.
- After knowing about Rishabh Pant‘s accident in December 2022, Kapil Dev later suggested that players should be responsible enough to take care of themselves and should hire drivers for them even if they themselves are passionate about driving. In February 2023, Kapil wanted to slap Rishabh once he recovered fully because he involved himself in a car crash.
Featured Image By Bollywood Hungama / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0