|Zaheer Khan Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||October 8, 1978|
Zaheer Khan is an Indian former cricketer and coach who played all forms of cricket for the Indian national team from 2000 till 2014, after starting his domestic career by playing for Baroda. Often considered as one of the best Indian fast bowlers, he became the second-most successful Indian pace bowler in Test cricket, behind Kapil Dev. He was one of the key members of the 2011 ODI World Cup-winning team as he led the pace attack with 21 wickets in just 9 games. Khan has also played for Worcestershire in County Cricket as well as played for the Mumbai Cricket Team, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Delhi Daredevils, and Mumbai Indians in Indian domestic cricket. The legendary cricketer has also received multiple accolades which include India’s 2nd-highest sporting award, the Arjuna Award, by the President of India in 2011 and the Padma Shri, the 4th-highest civilian award in the Republic of India, from the Government of India in 2020.
Zak, Zippy, Zakky
Shrirampur, Ahmednagar District, Maharashtra, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Zaheer Khan studied at New Marathi Primary School and the K. J. Somaiyya Secondary School in Shrirampur.
Former Cricketer, Coach
- Father – Bakhtiyar Khan
- Mother – Zakia Khan
- Siblings – Zeeshan Khan (Older Brother), Anees Khan (Younger Brother)
- Others – Vijaysinh Ghatge (Father-In-Law), Urmila Ghatge (Mother-In-Law), Shivjeet Ghatge (Brother-In-Law)
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
77 kg or 170 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Zaheer Khan has dated –
- Isha Sharvani – It is speculated that he was romantically involved with contemporary dancer and actress Isha Sharvani in the past.
- Sagarika Ghatge (2017-Present) – On April 24, 2017, it was announced on his Twitter account that he was engaged to actress, model, and national level athlete Sagarika Ghatge, known for her role as Preeti Sabharwal in Chak De! India. Soon after, they got married on November 23, 2017.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Marathi descent.
- Hostile seam and pace bowling
- His yorkers
- Expertise in reverse swing with the old ball
He appeared in the TV commercial “Oye Bubbly” for Pepsi Cola in 2005.
Zaheer Khan Facts
- He started his coaching under Utsav Yadav and played in the local Revenue Colony Cricket Club (RCC) in Shrirampur before starting his career in Pune.
- In 2006, Zaheer Khan moved to England for a short stint with Worcestershire and was best known for his ability to “move the ball both ways off the wicket and swing the old ball at some pace”.
- During his cricket career, he often struggled with injuries. This has been one of the inspiring factors for Zaheer khan to set up ProSport Fitness & Services, a special rehab & training center in association with Adrian Le Roux and Andrew Leipus. He has stated that the objective was to “bring in a world-class fitness program to India for sports injury management”.
- In 2008, he was selected as one of the Wisden Cricketers of the Year.
- One of Zaheer Khan’s many records includes dismissing Graeme Smith, Kumar Sangakkara, Sanath Jayasuriya, and Matthew Hayden – some of the game’s most feared left-hand batsmen – more than 10 times each in international cricket.
- It was in October 2015 that he announced his retirement from international cricket.
Featured Image by Filmi Tadka / filmitadka.in / CC BY-SA 3.0