|Sanath Jayasuriya Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||June 30, 1969|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Sanath Jayasuriya is a former Sri Lankan cricket player and politician who revolutionized the game of cricket as a top-order batsman from his debut in 1989 until his retirement in 2011. The exceptionally talented cricketer set several unprecedented records in both tests and one day formats of the game. Under his captainship, Sri Lanka became one of the joint winners of the ICC Champions Trophy, along with India, in 2002. He was also instrumental in helping his country lift the 1996 Cricket World Cup, reach the finals of the 2007 Cricket World Cup, and the 2009 ICC World Twenty20.
Sanath Teran Jayasuriya
Master Blaster, Little Dynamite, Matara Hurricane, Matara Mauler, Matara Marauder, Sanaa
Matara, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka)
He is an alumnus of St. Servatius’ College located in Matara.
Former Cricket Player, Politician
- Father – Dunstan Jayasuriya
- Mother – Breeda Jayasuriya
- Siblings – Chandana Jayasuriya (Older Brother)
Slow Left Arm Orthodox
07 – ODI
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Sanath Jayasuriya has dated –
- Sumudu Karunanayak (1998-1999) – He tied the knot with Sumudu Karunanayak, who worked as a ground hostess for Air Sri Lanka, in 1998. However, their marriage was short-lived and ended after just 1 year in 1999.
- Sandra De Silva (2000-2012) – He married Sandra De Silva in 2000 and welcomed 3 children with her. Together, they raised their son Ranuka Jayasuriya, and daughters Savindi Jayasuriya and Yalindi Jayasuriya before heading for divorce in 2012.
- Maleeka Sirisena (2012) – Sanath had an extra-marital affair with Maleeka Sirisena while he was still married to Sandra. The duo later got engaged and subsequently married. However, further details of their relationship are hard to find.
Race / Ethnicity
- He shaves his head bald.
- Short height
Sanath Jayasuriya has endorsed brands such as –
- Dialog Telekom
- Lanka Soy
Sanath Jayasuriya Facts
- He is only the third cricketer to be affectionately called as ‘Master Blaster’ after the West Indies’ legendary player Sir Vivian Richards and India’s Sachin Tendulkar.
- According to Sanath, the most dangerous bowlers he ever faced were Glenn McGrath, Wasim Akram, Curtly Ambrose, and Courtney Walsh.
- In 1997, he scored an outstanding triple-century during a test match against India held in Colombo. He played for 799 minutes in two and a half days and scored 340 runs. At that time, he became the first Sri Lankan player and the second Asian batsman, preceded only by Pakistan’s Hanif Mohammad, to achieve this distinction.
- In 2017, Jayasuriya allegedly leaked a s*x tape of his ex-girlfriend Maleeka Sirisena with the intention of exacting revenge on her. The clips went viral on social media and he was heavily criticized for his behavior.
- His individual highest ODI innings of 189 runs against India took place in the final match of the Coca-Cola Cup held at Sharjah in 2000. His superb innings was rated as the ‘3rd Greatest Individual ODI Batting Performance of All-Time’ by Wisden.
- As of 2023, Jayasuriya holds the record of being the only cricketer in history to achieve the all-rounder double of hitting 10,000 runs and taking 300 wickets in a single format.
Featured Image by User:Chamal_N / Wikimedia / CC BY 2.0