|Ajinkya Rahane Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||June 6, 1988|
Ajinkya Rahane is an Indian cricketer, who in the course of his career has become a bedrock of the Indian senior national team’s batting in Test matches. He started his first-class career for Mumbai in the 2007-08 season and scored heavily in domestic cricket for years, eventually earning a place in the national team in August 2011 in the T20I format. Although he has played numerous matches with considerable success for the Indian team in the T20I and ODI formats, it is the Test Match format where he has crafted his reputation as a highly dependable player. As of November 2019, he was ranked at number 5 in the ICC’s (International Cricket Council) official rankings for batsmen in the Test Match format of the game.
Ajinkya Madhukar Rahane
Ashwi Khurd, Sangamner, Maharashtra, India
Mulund, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Ajinkya completed his secondary schooling from SV Joshi High School in Dombivli, Mumbai. He then pursued a B.Com. degree, but left the course midway as his cricket career started to take precedence.
- Father – Madhukar Baburao Rahane (Civil Engineer)
- Mother – Sujata Rahane
- Siblings – Shashank Rahane (Younger Brother), Apurva Rahane (Younger Sister)
He is represented by Nirant Sethia, Manager, Cornerstone Sport & Entertainment, Bandra, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Middle-Order Batsman (Test Matches), Opener/Middle-Order Batsman (ODIs, T20Is)
- 3 – Test Match
- 27 – ODI, T20I, IPL
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ajinkya has dated –
- Radhika Dhopavkar (2014–Present) – Ajinkya married his childhood sweetheart, Radhika, in a grand Marathi wedding ceremony on September 26, 2014. The couple has a daughter named Aarya (b. October 5, 2019). In July 2022, the couple announced via Instagram that they are expecting their 2nd child together by October 2022.
Race / Ethnicity
- Affable smile
- Sports a beard
- Lean physique
- Short-cropped hair
Ajinkya has served as the ambassador for brands such as –
- Anukampa Group
Ajinkya has appeared in TV commercials for brands such as –
- Star Plus
- Reliance Jio
Ajinkya Rahane Favorite Things
- Street Food – Vada Pav
- Cricket Match – India vs. England, Chennai, December 11-15, 2008
- Cricket Commentators – Ravi Shastri, Amol Muzumdar
- Breakfast – Fruits
- Actors – Aamir Khan, Riteish Deshmukh
- Cricket Shot – Straight Drive
- Pastime – Listening to music
- Book Genres – Sports Books, Autobiographies
- Cuisines – Japanese, Chinese
- Relaxation Techniques – Meditation, Breathing exercises
- Movies – Barfi! (2012), Dabangg 2 (2012)
- Car Brands – Lamborghini, Aston Martin
Ajinkya Rahane Facts
- Ajinkya’s father used to send him for Judo lessons to prevent him from spending too much time in front of the television. He attended the classes and eventually attained a black belt in martial art. He also had Karate lessons as a kid.
- His formal cricket coaching started at the age of 9 at the Dronacharya Cricket Club in Dombivli, Mumbai, under the guidance of Mr. Khatu.
- After training, he went for the Under-14 trials to gain selection for the Thane district. After watching him bat for just 4-5 balls, he was selected in the team. However, the decision was reversed a few minutes later as the selectors felt he was too young for the age group. The incident inspired young Ajinkya to continue to work hard and further hone his talent.
- As of November 2019, he holds the world record of “Most catches by a non-wicketkeeper in a single Test match”. He achieved the feat by snapping 8 catches in the 2015 Test Match against Sri Lanka.
- During a 2012 T20 match, he became the first player to hit six 4s in a single over in the IPL (Indian Premier League).
- He was honored with the “CEAT Indian Cricketer of the Year” award for the 2014-15 season.
- In 2016, he received the prestigious Arjuna Award, which is presented annually by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India to honor outstanding achievement in sports.
- For India’s fight against the second wave of COVID-19 in 2021, Ajinkya donated 30 oxygen concentrators to Mission Vayu.
- In February 2022, in the BCCI’s annual retainership contract, Rahane was demoted from grade A to grade B. At that time, grade B players were getting INR 3 crore annually.
- In December 2022, during the IPL 2023 auction, Ajinkya was bought at his base price, which was INR 50 lakh, by Chennai Super Kings.
- As per the list released in March 2023, Rahane was removed from BCCI’s annual contract list for the 2022-2023 season.
- On April 8, 2023, Rahane scored the most runs in an over in IPL 2023 and hence made a new record. He hit 23 runs in an over on the bowling of Mumbai Indians’ Arshad Khan. He hit 6 on the first ball followed by 4 fours and a single off the last ball.
Featured Image by Ajinkya Rahane / Instagram