|Alan Bates Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||February 17, 1934|
|Date of Death||December 27, 2003|
Alan Bates was an English actor and stage artist whose film credits include Whistle Down the Wind, The Running Man, A Kind of Loving, The Entertainer, Caretaker, Nothing But The Best, Zorba the Greek, Georgy Girl, King of Hearts, Impossible Object, Far from the Madding Crowd, Women in Love, The Fixer, Butley, The Go-Between, Three Sisters, A Day in the Death of Joe Egg, The Story of Jacob and Joseph, Royal Flash, An Unmarried Woman, The Shout, A Voyage Round My Father, The Mothman Prophecies, The Return of the Soldier, The Wicked Lady, Duet for One, A Prayer for the Dying, Hamlet, We Think the World of You, The Cherry Orchard, and The Statement.
Alan Arthur Bates
He was born on February 17, 1934.
On December 27, 2003, he died of pancreatic cancer at the age of 69 in London, England, United Kingdom.
Queen Mary Nursing Home in Derby, England, United Kingdom
Alan Bates studied at the Herbert Strutt Grammar School located in Derby Road, Belper, Derbyshire. After that, he earned a scholarship to attend the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London and studied with Albert Finney and Peter O’Toole. However, he later left in order to join the Royal Air Force (RAF) for National Service at RAF Newton.
Actor, Stage Artist
- Father – Harold Arthur Bates (Insurance Broker, Cellist)
- Mother – Florence Mary (née Wheatcroft) (Housewife, Pianist)
- Siblings – Martin Bates (Younger Brother). Alan also had one more younger brother.
- Others – Sofia Bates (Granddaughter), Ava Bates (Granddaughter), Sienna Bates (Granddaughter)
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Boyfriend / Spouse
Alan Bates dated –
- John Dexter (1954) – It was RUMORed that he had an encounter with theatre director John Dexter in 1954.
- Peter Wyngarde (1956-1965) – Alan Bates was romantically linked with actor and stage artist Peter Wyngarde between 1956 and 1965.
- Joanna Pettet (1964-1966) – He started going out with actor Joanna Pettet in the year 1964 but the duo eventually parted ways in 1966.
- Yardena Harari (1965) – He had an affair with Israeli dancer Yardena Harari in 1965.
- Paul Taylor (1967-1970) – From 1967 to 1970, he dated American smooth jazz alto and soprano saxophonist Paul Taylor.
- Rock Hudson (1968) – He hooked up with American actor Rock Hudson in 1968.
- Victoria Ward – In 1970, Alan Bates got married to actor Victoria Ward and they were blessed with twin sons named Benedick Bates and Tristan Bates in November 1970. Benedict went on to become an actor while Tristan passed away following an asthma attack in Tokyo in 1990. Two years later, Victoria Ward also died. Victoria and Alan had already been separated for many years before her death.
- Nickolas Grace (1973) – He went out with actor Nickolas Grace in the year 1973.
- John Curry (1980-1982) – He was in a romantic relationship with Olympic skater John Curry from 1980 to 1982.
- Gerard Hastings (1982-1991) – Alan Bates was linked with Gerard Hastings from 1982 to 1991.
- Angharad Rees (1999-2002) – He started dating actor Angharad Rees in 1999 but they called it quits in 2002.
Race / Ethnicity
Salt and Pepper
Was frequently cast in plays by Simon Gray
Alan Bates Favorite Things
- Role – Appearing as Michael Henchard in The Mayor of Casterbridge (1978)
Source – Wikipedia
Alan Bates Facts
- He was the oldest of 3 sons born to parents who were amateur musicians.
- His parents encouraged him to pursue music.
- Alan Bates was 11 years old when he decided to pursue a career in acting. He subsequently studied drama as well as honed his skills by attending productions at Derby’s Little Theatre.
- He made his stage debut in a production of You and Your Wife in 1955. The following year, he made his West End debut by playing the role of Cliff in Look Back in Anger. This was the role he had originated at the Royal Court and which earned him a star status.
- In 1966, Alan Bates was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) and was later knighted in 2003.
Featured Image by Unknown Author / eBay / Public Domain