|Rock Hudson Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||November 17, 1925|
|Date of Death||October 2, 1985|
Rock Hudson was an American actor who became one of the most prominent stars of the 1950s and 1960s due to his appearances in films like Magnificent Obsession (1954), All That Heaven Allows (1955), Giant (1956), Pillow Talk (1959), Lover Come Back (1961), Send Me No Flowers (1964), Seconds (1966), Tobruk (1967), Ice Station Zebra (1968), etc. Additionally, he also found fame as a television star with the series McMillan & Wife (1971–1977) and Dynasty (1984-1985). However, his enduring legacy has been in helping raise awareness about AIDS, which was highly stigmatized during his time, and in initiating financial aid for its research.
Roy Harold Scherer Jr.
He was born on November 17, 1925.
Hudson passed away from AIDS-related complications in Beverly Hills, California, on October 2, 1985. He was 59 years old at that time.
Winnetka, Illinois, United States
Rock was a student of the New Trier High School in his hometown until his graduation in 1943.
- Father – Roy Harold Scherer Sr. (Auto Mechanic)
- Mother – Katherine Wood (Homemaker, Telephone Operator)
At the time of his death, Hudson’s net worth was $10 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
6 ft 5 in or 195.5 cm
57 kg or 126 lbs (at the time of his death due to HIV)
From a weight of 215 lbs (97.5 kg), he went to 140 lbs (63.5 kg) in the last 18 months of his life.
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Rock Hudson had dated –
- Anthony Perkins
- Marlon Brando – RUMOR
- Errol Flynn
- Samuel Steward
- George Nader
- James Dean
- Henry Willson
- Tyrone Power
- Keith Andes
- Kip Behar
- Joyce Mackenzie
- Vera-Ellen (1951-1954)
- Denise Darcel (1951)
- Yvonne De Carlo (1952)
- Phyllis Winger (1952)
- Mamie Van Doren (1953)
- Terry Moore (1953) – RUMOR
- Phyllis Gates (1954-1958) – He was married to Phyllis Gates from November 9, 1955, until their divorce in August 1958.
- Elaine Stritch (1957)
- Edie Adams (1961)
- Lee Garlington (1962-1965)
- Charlene Holt (1963)
- Marilyn Maxwell (1966)
- Jack Coates (1967)
- Alan Bates (1968)
- Jim Nabors (1970)
- Armistead Maupin (1976)
- Marc Christian (1980-1985)
- Tom Clark (1981)
Race / Ethnicity
He had German, Swiss-German, English, and Irish ancestry.
However, his hair had turned ‘Gray’ by the time of his death.
Rock Hudson Facts
- He despised his stage name, which was a combination of the Rock of Gibraltar and the Hudson River.
- Hudson was considered to be among the best-dressed male stars in Hollywood, along with Cary Grant.
- The Library of Congress selected 5 of his films to be included in the National Film Registry for their significance ‘culturally, historically or aesthetically’. They are as follows – Winchester ’73 (1950), All That Heaven Allows (1955), Giant (1956), Pillow Talk (1959), and Seconds (1966).
- The term ‘beefcake’ used to denote a s**ually attractive male was reportedly coined by the Hollywood writer Sidney Skolsky in reference to Hudson.
- In 1995, Empire Magazine included him in its list of the ‘100 S**iest Stars in Film History’ at #28.
- Universal Studios initially wanted Rock to star as Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird (1962), but he was turned down for looking too youthful for the part. The role eventually went to Gregory Peck.
- His homosexuality was confirmed after his passing and was a surprise to many people, including a few that were closest to him.
- Hudson was diagnosed with HIV on June 5, 1984. His gaunt appearance shocked the public in July 1985, and his deteriorating health was initially attributed to liver cancer. However, a few days later on July 25, 1985, he confirmed through his publicist that he had AIDS.
- He was one of the first major Hollywood celebrities to openly admit to his AIDS diagnosis and subsequently die of AIDS-related illness.
Featured Image by Universal Pictures / Wikimedia / Public Domain
Rock Hudson was 6’5″. But he shrunk a bit so I’d put him at 193 cm.
His height was 193 cm and his peak height was 196 cm. However he was also said to be 6’6″
His height was 6’5″ at the most.
57 kg seems too light
The last 18 months of his life he was emaciated.
His build was slim.
Rock Hudson was 194.5 cm tall and 97.5 kg
He was 194.5 cm and 91 kg
His BMI went from 25.5 to 14.9.
His real weight had to be 15 stones which is 210 pounds which is 95.5 kg.
His height was 6’5″ but often listed as 6’6″ and 6’4″ (via IMDb and YouTube video).