|Alex Borstein Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 0 in|
|Date of Birth||February 15, 1973|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Alex Borstein is an American actress, producer, comedian, and writer. She is largely remembered for voicing Lois Griffin on Fox’s Family Guy. The 2-time Emmy award winner began her career on MADtv in 1997 and became famous for the character of Ms. Swan. She is also a gifted writer and has been a part of the writing staff on many of her shows. As of 2017, she plays Susie Myerson on The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and her performance has been lauded by critics. She is active on social media and has 97k followers on Instagram.
Alex, A.bo, A. Bo, a.bo
Highland Park, Illinois, United States
Alex attended Chatsworth High School and graduated in 1989. She studied and earned a degree in rhetoric from San Francisco State University.
She was a member of the ACME Comedy Theatre in Hollywood and received her training in improvisational comedy.
Actress, Writer, Producer, Comedian
- Father – Irving Borstein (Mental Health Professional)
- Mother – Judy Borstein (Mental Health Professional)
- Siblings – Adam Borstein (Older Brother), She has another older brother.
- Others – Paul Borstein (Paternal Grandfather), Bessie Kaufman (Paternal Grandmother), Jenö Grünfeld (Maternal Grandfather), Vera Winternitz (Maternal Grandmother)
Alex is represented by the California-based William Morris Endeavor.
5 ft 0 in or 152.5 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Alex has dated –
- Jackson Douglas (1999-2017) – Alex and fellow actor-cum-writer Jackson Douglas studied improv together at the ACME Comedy Theatre in the 90s. The duo got engaged during the taping of one of the skits on MADtv and tied the knot in 1999. The couple share 2 children – a boy, Barnaby Borstein Douglas (b. September 8, 2008) and a girl, Henrietta Borstein Douglas (b. October 1, 2012). After more than a decade together, the couple filed the divorce papers in October 2014 and it was finalized in November 2017.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry.
Alex has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Geek Eyewear
- Wendigo Tea Co.
- Vladì Shoes
- reVamp Vintage Los Angeles
Best Known For
Playing Susie Myerson on the comedy-drama series The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (2017-Present) and voicing the character of Lois Griffin on the animated series Family Guy (1999-Present), both of which have won her a Primetime Emmy Award each in 2018
Alex made her theatrical film debut with the comedy film Coyote Ugly in a small role in 2000. However, her role was uncredited.
Her first credited performance was in 2002 when she played a casting director in the buddy cop film Showtime.
First TV Show
She made her first TV appearance as a voice artist in 1993, voicing the character of Madame Woe in the live-action children’s series Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. However, her role was uncredited.
Her first credited performance was on the comedy sketch series MADtv in 1997.
Alex Borstein Favorite Things
- Vacation Destination – Italy
- Cities – Riomaggiore, Rome, New York, Chicago, Pasadena
- Episode On Family Guy – 8 Simple Rules for Buying My Teenage Daughter (Season 4 Episode 8)
- Character On Family Guy – Jasper
- Moment On Family Guy – Who wants chowder?
- TV Show – Breaking Bad (2008-2013)
- Board Game – Scattergories
- Color Of M&M’s – Red, Orange, Peanut Butter
- Line From Family Guy – Brian, he’s knocking on the back door, what should I do? Should I let him in? (Season 4 Episode 23)
- Project By A Family Guy Cast Member – Ted (2012) directed by Seth MacFarlane
Alex Borstein Facts
- Her mother is Hungarian and a Holocaust survivor. She shifted to the United States to escape the Hungarian Revolution of 1956.
- Alex owns a production company called Crackerpants Inc.
- She was originally cast to play Sookie St. James in Gilmore Girls in 2000. However, due to her existing contract with MADtv, she had to turn down the role. The character was eventually played by Melissa McCarthy.
- She guest-starred as Lou Deckner on Shameless in 5 episodes. When she fell pregnant in real life, her character on the show was also given a pregnancy storyline. Lou gave birth to a child in season 3 in correspondence to the birth of Alex’s daughter Henrietta in 2012.
- Alex has received 2 Primetime Emmy Awards; Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for her role as Susie Myerson on The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and a Creative Arts Emmy Award for Outstanding Character Voice-Over Performance as Lois Griffin on the animated series Family Guy (Fox). She won both the awards in 2018.
- While receiving her Emmy award, she was seen wearing her old silver-colored wedding dress. Although her divorce from Jackson Douglas was finalized in 2017, she said that she wanted to give a new life to the wedding gown even though her marriage had failed.
- In September 2021, Alex was honored with an award at the 2021 Creative Coalition’s Television Humanitarian Awards Gala.
Featured Image by Gage Skidmore / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0