|Alex Yoong Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||July 20, 1976|
Alex Yoong is a Malaysian professional racing driver who began his career with saloon cars in 1992 at the age of just 16. He progressed to single-seater cars a couple of years later and came into the spotlight by winning the Malaysian Championship in 1995. Over the next few years, he participated in feeder competitions such as the British Formula 3 Championship (1997-1999), the International Formula 3000 series (1999), and the Formula Nippon series (2000-2001); after which he earned a chance to compete at the Formula One World Championship (2001-2002). Alex then participated in several competitions without much success until 2008, when he took a break from the sport. He joined the Audi R8 LMS Cup in 2012 and his greatest achievements arrived in this competition as he won the title thrice in a row (2014-2016). He had also stood 2nd in 2013 and 3rd in 2012. In the latter half of his career, he had also worked as a commentator and TV analyst for Fox Sports Asia.
Alexander Charles Yoong Loong
Alex, The Malaysian Master
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Alex graduated from the Garden International School in Kuala Lumpur in 1993.
Professional Racing Driver
- Father – Hanifah Yoong Yin Fah
- Mother – Johanna Bean
- Siblings – Aaliyah Yoong (Younger Sister) (Water Skier, a Gold medallist at the 2011 Southeast Asian Games), Adam Yoong Hanifah (Younger Brother) (Water Skier), Aiden Yoong (Brother), Philippa Yoong (Younger Sister) (Water Skier, a Bronze medallist at the 2011 Southeast Asian Games)
- Others – Yoong Wan Hoi (Paternal Grandfather) (Contractor, Steel Trader)
Formula One Teams
Alex has raced for –
- European Minardi F1 (2001)
- KL Minardi Asiatech (2002)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Alex has dated –
- Arriana Teoh (2002-Present) – Alex got married to Arriana Teoh, a former beauty pageant contestant who had won the Miss World 1997 Malaysia title, in 2002. They have a son together named Alister Yoong (b. January 10, 2003) (Racing Driver).
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Asian and White)
He is of Chinese Malaysian descent on his father’s side and British descent on his mother’s side.
- Toned physique
- Sports a thick goatee
- Side-parted, short-cropped hair
- Affable smile
Alex has served as the brand ambassador of the Malaysian furniture brand, MajuHome Concept.
Alex Yoong Facts
- In 1992, Alex became the youngest driver in Malaysian motorsport history to compete in the one-make Proton series.
- When he participated in the 2001 Italian Grand Prix, he became the first Malaysian driver in history to race in the Formula One World Championship.
- 3 of his siblings are professional water skiers and Alex has been more than a competent practitioner of the sport as well. He represented Malaysia at the 1992 Junior World Waterski Championships before deciding to focus on his racing career.
- In the middle of his rise in motorsports competitions, he had won a ‘Silver’ medal in the waterskiing tournament at the 1997 Jakarta Southeast Asian Games. While he was taking a break from his racing career, he had also competed at the 2011 Southeast Asian Games and had won a ‘Gold’ medal and a ‘Silver’ medal in the men’s slalom and jump events.
Featured Image by Alex Yoong / Instagram