|Alexandra Botez Quick Info
|5 ft 4 in
|Date of Birth
|September 24, 1995
Alexandra Botez is an American chess player, YouTuber, and Twitch streamer who has earned the title of ‘Woman FIDE Master’ (WFM) and had reached her peak FIDE (Fédération Internationale des Échecs) Elo rating of 2092 in September 2016. Born in Dallas, Texas, but raised primarily in Vancouver, British Columbia, before returning to the United States in her teenage years, she has represented both the United States and Canada at international tournaments; and has competed in their respective national-level events. She gained further fame with fans when, in April 2018, she began running a chess-based YouTube channel titled BotezLive, with her younger sister Andrea. The channel has amassed more than 150k subscribers. She also runs a well-known Twitch account where she plays and hosts chess live streams and where she has garnered more than 350k followers. She is popular on other social media platforms as well with more than 75k followers on Twitter and more than 200k followers on Instagram. Additionally, she holds chess lectures at schools and mentors chess clubs.
Dallas, Dallas County, Texas, United States
New York City, New York, United States
Alexandra, after her high school graduation, had joined the Stanford University in California in 2013. She had graduated from there in 2017 with a major in international relations. She had also served as the first female president of the university’s chess club.
Chess Player, YouTuber, Twitch Streamer
- Siblings – Andrea Botez (Younger Sister) (YouTuber)
She is represented by Evolved Talent Agency LLC, eSports Management Agency, Los Angeles, California, United States.
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Romanian descent.
- Petite frame
- Charming smile
- Gleaming face
- Long, straight hair
Alexandra Botez Facts
- She had first started playing chess at the age of 6 when her father had dared her to beat her mother in a game at home. Alexandra has won the Canadian National Girls Championship 5 times, her first triumph coming at the age of just 8. She has also won the USA Girls National Chess Championship thrice, her first win coming at the age of 15.
- While in middle school, when she had needed leave days to participate at the North American Championships, she had asked her teachers to not let her classmates know about it as she did not want to seem like a geek to her friends as that would not allow her to ‘fit in’.
- While playing an online game once, she had lost her ‘Queen’, an often fatal error in chess, to an unforced error. The incident became so well known that fans satirically named it ‘The Botez Gambit’. Unfortunately, the tag stuck and now ‘The Botez Gambit’ has become chess shorthand.
- In 2017, she had co-founded a social media company called CrowdAmp which used machine learning to reach multiple followers in a personalized manner. The company had ceased operations in May 2019.
- A polyglot, she is proficient in the Romanian, Mandarin, and English languages. She also has limited fluency in Spanish and French.
Featured Image by Alexandra Botez / Instagram