|Aljamain Sterling Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||July 31, 1989|
Aljamain Sterling is an American professional mixed martial artist who began competing in the bantamweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), in 2014. On March 6, 2021, he had won the UFC Bantamweight Championship after his opponent Petr Yan was disqualified due to an intentional illegal knee in the 4th round. This had made Aljamain the first fighter in UFC history to win a championship title via his/her opponent’s disqualification. A rematch was scheduled for October 30, 2021, at UFC 267. However, on September 25, 2021, Aljamain had withdrawn from the bout due to lingering neck issues.
Aljamain Antoine Sterling
The Funk Master
Uniondale, Nassau County, New York, United States
Massapequa, Nassau County, New York, United States
Aljamain had attended Uniondale High School, a public school in his hometown of Uniondale. He had later joined the Morrisville State College, a public college in Morrisville, New York.
After the freshman year, he had taken a transfer to the State University of New York College at Cortland, a public college in Cortland, New York. He had graduated from there with a bachelor’s degree in physical education.
Professional Mixed Martial Artist
- Father – Cleveland Sterling
- Mother – Sophie Sterling
- Siblings – Troy Sterling (Brother). He has 6 other siblings.
- Others – He has at least 12 half-siblings.
He is represented by Oren Hodak, Manager and Booking Agent, Knock Out Representation, Sports Marketing & Management Firm, Dallas, Texas, United States.
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
61 kg or 134.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Aljamain has dated –
- Rebecca Cruz (2011-Present)
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Jamaican descent.
- Toned physique
- Frizzy, afro hair
- Sports a thick beard
Aljamain Sterling Facts
- Aljamain, in 2004, had joined the wrestling program at his high school to stay away from the local gang life which some of his brothers had joined.
- When he was unable to catch up with the grades to reach Division I, he had joined Morrisville State College and had continued wrestling there. While there, he had also developed an interest in mixed martial arts.
- After taking a transfer to the State University of New York College at Cortland, he had become a 2-time NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) Division III ‘All-American’ with a win-loss record of 87–27.
- After this, he was absent from the wrestling scene for years and had eventually given up on the sport. In 2009, he had started his amateur career in mixed martial arts with a submission win. He went on to amass a 6-1 win-loss record before turning professional. During this time, he had captured the Raging Wolf Amateur Bantamweight Championship and the Extreme FC Amateur Featherweight Championship.
- He had made a stellar start to his professional career and had won 8 bouts in a row before signing up with UFC in 2014. During this time, he had participated in multiple promotions and had won the Ring Of Combat Bantamweight Championship and the Cage Fury Fighting Championships’ Bantamweight Championship. He had successfully defended the latter title thrice before joining UFC.
- He holds a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
Featured Image by Aljamain Sterling / Instagram