|Alok Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||August 26, 1991|
Alok is a Brazilian DJ, musician, TV personality, and record producer best known for his hit song, Hear Me Now released in collaboration with Bruno Martini and Zeeba on October 21, 2016, through Spinnin’ Records. The accompanying music video was released on the same day and has amassed more than 320 million views. He became a DJ back in 2004 between the ages of 12 and 13 as a collaborative act with his fraternal twin brother Bhaskar Petrillo. However, he only came to prominence in the early 2010 and was named “Best DJ in Brazil” by House Mag in 2014 and 2015 consecutively. In 2016, Alok was the only Brazilian DJ in the list of 25 best DJs published by DJ Magazine on the 25th spot. Alok was also ranked 19th in 2017 and 13th on the same list composed by the magazine in 2018.
Between 2012 and mid-2016, he had released numerous songs some of which were titled Superstition, We Need Hip Hop, Arabe, Higher, Naughty People ft. Yves Paquet, House Hop, Play My Game, Who Gives ft. Shapeless, Liquid Blue ft. Dazzo, Addiction ft. Nytron, Me & You ft. Sevenn, but they all failed the chart. His 1st song that charted was Hear Me Now, which reached number 20 on the US Billboard Dance/Electronic Songs chart. In 2017, Alok released songs such as Sirene with Cat Dealers, Fuego with his brother Bhaskar, Love Is a Temple with Iro, Big Jet Plane with Mathieu Koss, and Alien Technology with Hi-Lo. The year of 2018 saw the release of songs such as Favela, Innocent, Bella Ciao, and I Miss U. Alok also released tracks such as Pray with Conor Maynard, All the Lies with Felix Jaehn and The Vamps, Metaphor with Timmy Trumpet, Party Never Ends with Quintino and The Wall with Sevenn.
Alok Achkar Peres Petrillo
Goiânia, Goiás, Brazil
DJ, Record Producer, Musician, TV Personality
- Father – Juarez “Swarup” Achkar Petrillo (DJ)
- Mother – Ekanta Jake Peres (DJ)
- Siblings – Bhaskar Petrillo (Fraternal Twin Brother) (DJ)
- Others – José Petrillo (Paternal Grandfather), Dalel Achkar (Paternal Grandmother), Val Jake (Maternal Grandmother)
Alok is represented by –
- William Morris management (Talent Agent) Worldwide
- Kool Waters (Talent Agent) in Asia
- Knockout Artists (Manager) Worldwide
- Box Talents (Publicist, Booking) in Brazil
House, EDM, Deep House, Brazilian Bass, Future House
Guitar, Digital Audio Workstation
- Spinnin’ Records
- Warner Music
- UP Club Records (2016-Present)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Alok has dated –
- Romana Novais (2019-Present) – Alok has kept his dating life private but revealed that he married Romana in 2019. The biggest chunk of information came from Romana herself as she noted in her social media bio that she was a recent medical graduate from dermatology. In early August 2019, Romana and Alok announced she was 4 months pregnant already and beginning to experience symptoms of the blessed state. Some of those were memory failure, dilated blood vessels, sleep deprivation, and cerebral edema, which she discussed via her Instagram, where she has amassed a fanbase of more than 2.5 million followers. Romana also came to prominence in the media when she rented a luxury villa when she stayed with her family to celebrate her pregnancy and rest. It reportedly cost around $900 per night and Romana also added that her grandma jokingly requested “a child a year” so that they would take the same trip next year.
Race / Ethnicity
Mixed (White, Latino, Middle Eastern)
He is of Italian, Portuguese, and Lebanese descent.
Tall, athletic physique
Best Known For
- Being widely considered as the best Brazilian DJ, having been voted “Best DJ in Brazil” in 2014 and 2015, and being #13 on the list of 25 best DJs composed by DJ Magazine in 2018
- His hit song, Hear Me Now released in October 2016 featuring Bruno Martini and Zeeba and Never Let Me Go in 2017 again with Zeeba and Bruno Martini, which peaked at number 87 on Top 100 Brazil chart
- His social media fanbase with more than 14 million followers on Instagram, more than 6 million followers on Facebook, and more than 2.5 million subscribers on YouTube
As a Singer
Between the ages of 12 and 19, Alok and his fraternal twin brother Bhaskar were a part of a duo they named Logica or Logic. In 2012, Alok branched out as a solo artist, and released songs Superstition and We Need Hip Hop, and in 2013, Put Some Sax On and Arabe. The year of 2014 was a bit more prolific for him as he released songs such as Higher, Naughty People ft. Yves Paquet, I Know You Feel It, House Hop, and Play My Game.
Alok’s career began to blossom in 2015 with a lot of collaborative projects next to his solo tracks such as Yawanawa and The Future. The others were Freedom in the Valley with Dressel, Daavar & Zeppeliin, Feels Good with Diego Miranda, Who Gives with Shapeless, and Winter Sunset with Dazzo & Ellie Ka. However, it wasn’t until 2016 that his career as a DJ took off, 1st noted by the release of tracks such as Liquid Blue with Dazzo, I Need the Bass with Sevenn, Mix Forever, and Addiction with Nytron.
His track, Me & You, made in collaboration with Iro in 2016 also ended up in the Netflix original film, XOXO (2016), which helped his publicity. It also led to the release of tracks such as Byob with Sevenn, Bolum Back with Liu, Do It with Dazzo & Barja, All I Want with Liu & Stonefox, and the track that changed it all, Hear Me Now with Bruno Martini & Zeeba in late 2016. That track charted highly in a number of countries such as #20 on Billboard Dance/Electronic Songs, #8 in Norway’s VG-Lista, and #11 on Sweden’s Sverigetopplistan chart.
The year of 2017 saw the released of only tracks that had featured artists, which were titled Sirene, Fuego, Never Let Me Go, Love Is a Temple, VillaMix (Suave), Alien Technology, and Big Jet Plane. Alok followed the same trend in 2018 as well, and released collaborative tracks Ocean, Bella Ciao, Toda la Noche, Baianá, I Miss U, Favela, Innocent, and Próximo Amor.
Alok also had a very successful beginning to the year of 2019, with hit songs such as Pray with Conor Maynard, Metaphor with Timmy Trumpet, All The Lies with Felix Jaehn and The Vamps, and E Depois (Que Sorte a Minha) with Seu Jorge & Bid. Towards the mid-2019, he also released tracks Party Never Ends with Quintino, The Wall with Sevenn, and Vale Vale with Zafrir on August 9, 2019.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance as ‘Himself’ in an episode of The Noite com Danilo Gentili in March 2017.
- His name means “light” in the Sanskrit language. Alok’s parents traveled to India and a well-known spiritual guru named Osho told them to give their boy that name.
- His parents are considered pioneers in the psytrance genre and also creators of the Universo Paralello electronic music festival held in Bahia, Brazil.
- After his parents divorced, Alok and his twin brother Bhaskar moved with their mom. They lived in Amsterdam, Netherlands as well as London, England, United Kingdom, and then São Paulo, Brazil, where he spent his teenage years.
- Alok began to play music at the age of 10. He and his brother followed their dad to the studio and got interested in the art of remixing.
- DJs named Pedrão and Zumbi taught Alok and his brother to mix the song. His brother also began focusing on keyboards, while he started specializing in playing the guitar.
- After another family friend installed a music editing program, Logic Pro on their dad’s computer, Alok and his brother began producing their own music and later formed their duo, Logica (Logic).
- He was the 1st and only Brazilian to reach 400 million plays on Spotify. He was also the 1st Brazilian to be featured in their TOP 100 Global list.
- In 2016, he founded his own record label, UP Club Records, with the intention to discover new talent in the electronic music genre.
- Alok stated that his inspirations range from Mick Jagger to Eric Prydz.
- He fulfilled his lifelong dream to collaborate with Armin Van Buuren when he was featured on a track named United in August 2018.
- The one thing he loves about his job as a DJ and record producer are VSTs (virtual studio technologies). They allow him to continue making music on the road as he travels constantly and all he needs when inspiration strikes is his laptop, software, and headphones.
- Alok admitted that he almost never drinks alcohol and doesn’t think it’s needed for a good atmosphere and positive energy at a party.
- In 2019, he booked a spot alongside Steve Aoki to perform at MGM Grand’s Hakkasan nightclub in Las Vegas, Nevada, United States.
- Visit his official website @ aloklive.com.br.
- Follow him on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Apple Music, Spotify, Last.fm, SoundCloud, and Discogs.
Featured Image by Alok / Instagram