|Amala Paul Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||October 26, 1991|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Amala Paul is a well-distinguished South Indian actress, model, and producer who is better known under the screen name ‘Anakha’. She is also distinguished for her appearance as Shalini in Velaiilla Pattadhari (2015), Renu in Run Baby Run (2012), Sundari in Sindhu Samaveli (2010), as well as portraying the titular character in Mili (2015) and Mynaa (2010). Amala has starred in Malayalam, Tamil, and Telugu films while working with established actors like Kamal Haasan, Rajinikanth, R. Madhavan, and Sameera Reddy. Besides her appearance in movies, this gorgeous actress is also known for her fitness and fashion mantras. She also has a huge fan base with more than 3 million followers on Instagram, more than 6 million followers on Facebook, and 2.5 million plus followers on Twitter.
Aluva, Kochi, India
New Delhi, India
Amala studied at the Nirmala Higher Secondary School in Aluva. Later, she went on to complete her schooling at Aluva Government Higher Secondary School.
A year later, she started to pursue a Bachelor of Arts in Communicative English at St Teresa’s College, Kochi.
- Father – Paul Varghese
- Mother – Annice Paul
- Siblings – Abijith Paul (Brother) (Actor, Former Merchant Navy Officer)
Mr. Pradeep Kumar of White Screen Media manages Amala.
5 ft 4 in or 163 cm
52 kg or 114 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Amala has dated –
- A.L. Vijay (2011-2017) – Director A. L. Vijay and Amala met on the set of Deiva Thirumagal which was later released in 2011. The two were rumored to have been dating one another at the time but they had publicly denounced the rumors at first. However, in 2014, they came clean about their relationship with each other and also stated that they would soon tie the knots as well. Keeping true to their word, on June 7, 2014, the couple exchanged rings and a few days later on June 12, 2014, they got married. The wedding was preceded in both Hindu and Christian rite on the same day. Their happily married life though was short-lived as according to reports, her in-laws wanted her to quit acting but Amala did not like the idea and finally, in June 2016, filed for divorce but chose not to talk about it in public. Vijay’s father A.L. Azhagappan was the one who confirmed their divorce on national television. Later in February 2017, the couple was granted a legal separation. The same year they got their divorce, in an interview, Amala stated that she felt as though she was too young to get married and if she had been in her 30’s her marriage may have worked out.
- Vishnu Vishal (2018) – It was believed that Amala and her co-star Vishnu Vishal from Ratsasan (2018) were to get married in 2018. Their on-screen chemistry was so strong that fan thought they were dating one another for real. However, Vishnu defunct the allegations with a tweet that read “Wat a stupid news..plz b responsible ..we r humans too n v hav lives n family..just dnt write anything for d sake of it..”
- Bhavninder Singh – She was rumored to be dating Bhavninder Singh. They were reportedly in a live-in relationship. He was arrested by the police after Amala had filed a complaint against him for forgery, intimidation, and harassment. He allegedly cheated her in a business deal.
- Jagat Desai – Amala later started dating a tourism and hospitality professional named Jagat Desai. The couple got engaged in October 2023 and tied the knot in November 2023 at a lavender-themed wedding ceremony in Kochi.
Race / Ethnicity
- Protruding eyes
- Wide smile
Amala has done endorsement work for several brands such as –
- Aasai Rice
- Jos Alukkas
- 2GO Activewear
- Daniel Wellington
Best Known For
- Being cast in several films such as Velaiilla Pattadhari (2014), Mili (2015), Oru Indian Pranayakatha (2013), Thalaivaa (2013), Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Yeppadi (2012), Run Baby Run (2012), Deiva Thirumagal (2011), Sindhu Samaveli (2010), and Mynaa (2010)
- Working with celebrities like Kamal Haasan, Rajinikanth, R. Madhavan, and Sameera Reddy
- Winning several awards such as the Tamil Nadu State Film Award for “Best Actress” in 2010, SIIMA Award for “Best Actress” in 2012, Filmfare Critics Award for “Best Actress – South” in 2015
Amala made her debut theatrical film appearance as Beena in Neelathamara in 2009.
Though Amala has note yet spoken about her fitness routine in public, it is safe to say that she does go to the gym regularly. She had also hired a personal trainer in 2017, who had set a strict workout routine and customized diet plan for her.
When she’s at the gym, she focuses on achieving a slim, toned, and well-conditioned physique. She also performs yoga on a daily basis. Amala says, “fitness is a crucial part of my daily routine to look and feel my best on or off screen”.
As for her diet, she prefers to eat healthily even when she goes out for meals with friends and family.
In 2015, she was training at the Juzt Shine Family Fitness gym situated in Kochi, Kerala.
Amala Paul’s Favorite Things
- Song – Azhaipaya Azhaipaya (2012) by Harini and Karthik
Source – YouTube
- In January 2018, reports suggested that Amala had stepped into the office of the Thiruvananthapuram crime branch after she had unlawfully submitted false documents in order to buy a luxury car in the union territory of Puducherry to avoid being heavily taxed. Taking her actions into account, the crime branch had charged her under sections 420, 468, and 471 of the Indian Penal Code. It is also said that she had arrived at the office with an anticipatory bail order to avoid being arrested.
- In 2018, she had filed a case for s*xual harassment against an anonymous person who was later revealed as a Kottivakkam-based businessman named Azhagesan. The man had allegedly walked up to her while she was practicing for a performance at a dance studio situated in Chennai and asked her out on a date. According to her statement, he had offered her to attend a special dinner with him after the event where she was to perform in Malaysia was over. Amala added “When I cross-questioned him what special dinner he is talking about, he shrugged and said don’t be a fool, you are not a kid. I got startled because when I looked around no one was present at that moment aside me and him and this disgusting conversation.” After telling her that, the man waited outside for her answer. Meanwhile, she had contacted her team and informed them about the incident. After about half an hour her well-wishers arrived at the studio got hold of the man and locked him up in the studio itself until the cops arrived at the scene and took him into custody. During the investigation, it had come to her notice that the man was also reported to be involved in an organized s*x racket, and he had her most recent mobile number as well other information about her and several other actresses who were performing at the event on January 13 that year. At the same time, Amala also stated that she was going to file charges for defamation against the press and media for making false allegations against her manager Pradeep Kumar.
- In 2014, the Ernakulam Additional and Sessions Court was said to have issued an order, according to which she was not allowed to act in any jewelry ad. The lawsuit was supposedly filed against her by the management of ‘Millennium Gold Jewelers’ in Cochin. According to reports, Amala had struck a deal with them for 30 lakhs in May 2014, but backed out later on. However, in December 2014, the group had sent out a press release citing that everything in between them and Amala was going just fine and it was all just a hoax spread by an anonymous person.
- In 2010, her appearance as Sundari in Samy’s film Sindhu Samaveli sparked a public outcry due to its controversial scenes. The story revolved around Sundari having an erotic affair with her father-in-law. Amala at the time of her casting agreed to do the film without listening to the entire plot. It wasn’t till the film was released and rave reviews started to follow up that she realized shocking scenes she had played in the movie. Things started to turn worse as the film played on at theaters and she had begun to receive death threats and was also insulted by women present at a cinema hall in Chennai. On the other hand, it also got her the attention she needed to establish a name for herself, and sure enough, she was cast as the titular character in Prabhu Solomon’s Mynaa (2010) from where she got her ticket to fame.
Amala Paul Facts
- She was raised in Ernakulam, Kerala.
- Her parents are strong believers in Christianity.
- Before becoming an actor, she worked as a model while studying in college.
- It was Malayalam director Lal Jose who gave Amala her first job in Neelathamara in 2009 after viewing her modeling portfolio.
- Abijith who is an actor and brother to Amala had previously been training in the merchant navy in the United States and Isreal. He had also assisted in the search and rescue operation for the ‘Malaysia Airlines Flight 370’ that went off course and disappeared in 2014 after it took off from Kuala Lumpur International Airport.
- Amala’s father Paul had taken an interest in theatrical plays during his college years. However, he was dead set against her decision to pursue acting but Amala’s brother was the one who supported her decision all the way through and also convinced their father as well.
- Her mother is a beautiful singer, and Amala believes that she inherited her skills from her parents.
- The screen name ‘Anakha’ was adopted by Amala as director Samy had cited an already established actress who worked under the name ‘Amala’ (Amala Akkineni). However, she decided to go back to being known in the film industry with her birth name as she presumed her failure in the film Sindhu Samaveli (2010) was due to change in her name not favoring her luck.
- She obtained her debut Telugu commercial success in 2013, after being cast alongside actor Ram Charan Teja in Naayak.
- Millennium Gold Jewelers, Cochin chose her to be their brand ambassador in 2014.
- She made her debut as a producer with the film Cadaver in 2019.
- Amala broke her right arm in August 2018.
- In the past, she co-founded the website The Himalayan Yogi. As a part of the project, she started a line of natural remedies for night recovery and better sleep.
- During her free time, she likes to go on adventures and bicycle rides.
- Amala is very fond of dogs.
Featured Image By Amala Paul / Instagram