|Andre Braugher Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||July 01, 1962|
Andre Braugher is an Emmy award-winning American actor, well-known for playing hard-hitting, dramatic characters on television and in films. He found mainstream success as Detective Frank Pembleton on the series Homicide: Life on the Street in the 1990s. Although mostly known for his dramatic roles, Andre’s comic performances in the dramedy Men of a Certain Age (as Owen Thoreau Jr.) and Brooklyn Nine-Nine, where he plays Raymond Holt, has been hugely appreciated. He has amassed more than 200k followers on Twitter and more than 500k followers on Instagram. Braugher is happily married to actress Ami Brabson since 1991.
Andre Keith Braugher
Chicago, Illinois, United States
South Orange, New Jersey, United States
Andre studied at the St. Ignatius College Prep in Chicago.
He attended Stanford University and graduated in 1984 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in theater. Next, he got enrolled at the prestigious Juilliard School and graduated with a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degree in 1988.
- Father – Floyd Braugher (Heavy Equipment Operator)
- Mother – Sally Braugher (Postal Worker)
- Siblings – He has 3 older siblings.
Andre is represented by –
- William Morris Endeavor in California
- Viewpoint, Inc. in California
6 ft or 183 cm
93 kg or 205 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Andre Braugher has dated –
- Ami Brabson (1991-Present) – Andre and actress Ami Brabson met as youngsters, when they both were starting out as actors, and became good friends. After dating for a while, the duo tied the knot on December 28, 1991. Ami appeared as his on-screen wife Mary Pembleton on Homicide: Life on the Street. The couple has 3 sons together named Michael Braugher (b. 1992), Isaiah Braugher (b. 1997), and John Wesley Braugher (b. 2002). They wanted to raise their family away from the limelight and have been residing in South Orange, New Jersey since the 1990s.
Race / Ethnicity
Due to advancing age, his hair has turned ‘Salt and Pepper’.
- Big eyes
- Wide smile
- Dimpled chin
- Deep, commanding voice
Andre has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Joyful Heart Foundation (2016) (Founded by actress Mariska Hargitay)
- 1 in 6 Foundation (2016)
- No More (2014)
Andre is a Unitarian Universalist.
Best Known For
Playing Detective Frank Pembleton on Homicide: Life on the Street from 1993 to 1998 and Captain Raymond Holt on Brooklyn Nine-Nine
In 1989, Andre made his theatrical film debut as Cpl. Thomas Searles in the successful drama Glory. The film, about the American Civil War, also starred Denzel Washington and Matthew Broderick in pivotal roles.
First TV Show
Andre made his TV show debut in 1993 on the crime-drama series Homicide: Life on the Street as Detective Frank Pembleton.
Andre never paid much attention to his weight, which would fluctuate due to his unregimented diet and busy work schedule. In fact, while shooting Men of a Certain Age in 2011 the actor weighed around 217 pounds. He also spoke of his love for consuming Hershey’s bars in a 2014 interview.
However, Andre lost 20 pounds in the first few months of joining the show Brooklyn Nine-Nine. He took inspiration from his co-star Terry Crews, who is famous for his bodybuilder physique. Andre called Crews his fitness guru and on his insistence began running every day. He also changed his diet by ditching unhealthy snacks and opting for smart and nutritious meals.
Andre Braugher Favorite Things
- Episode On Brooklyn Nine-Nine – The Party (Season 1, Episode 16)
- TV Show – Breaking Bad
Source – The Gazette, DailyActor.com
Andre Braugher Facts
- Andre has a strong theater background and has acted in several Shakespearean plays like King John, Othello, Measure for Measure, Coriolanus, and Richard II. He received an Obie award for playing the titular role of Henry V in 1996.
- He was offered the role of Harry Adams in the science fiction thriller Sphere (1988). But, he turned it down to spend more time with his family. The role eventually went to Samuel L. Jackson.
- English newspaper, The Telegraph had curated a list of “50 Best TV Detectives and Sleuths” in 2016. Andre’s portrayal of Frank Pembleton was ranked at the 13th spot.
- He considers actor Richard Belzer, whom he has worked with on Homicide: Life on the Street, as his mentor.
- Andre was among the “50 Most Beautiful People in the World” according to People Magazine‘s list of 1997.
- He acted alongside Richard Belzer on 3 separate TV shows. These include Law & Order, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, and Homicide: Life on the Street.
- He has won a Primetime Emmy Award for “Outstanding Lead Actor” twice. The first in 1998 for playing Frank Pembleton in Homicide: Life on the Street and the 2nd one for the role of Nick Atwater in the miniseries Thief in 2006.
- Follow Andre Braugher on Instagram and Twitter.
Featured Image by Peabody Awards / Wikimedia / CC BY 2.0