|Andy Murray Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1¾ in|
|Date of Birth||May 15, 1987|
Andy Murray is a British professional tennis player who is best known for having been ranked world No. 1 by the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) for almost 41 weeks. He has participated in a variety of tournaments such as US Open, Wimbledon, Grand Slam, Masters 1000, London Olympics, Aberdeen Cup, Rogers Cup, Australian Open, Miami Masters, German Open, Qatar Open, Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters, Sony Ericsson Open, and many more. Andy has been sponsored by several brands such as Adidas, Shiatzy Chen, Royal Bank of Scotland, and Castore.
Andrew Barron Murray
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
London, England, UK
Andy attended Dunblane Primary School and Dunblane High School.
Murray later enrolled himself at Schiller International School in Barcelona, Spain.
Professional Tennis Player
- Father – William Murray
- Mother – Judith (Erskine) (Tennis Coach)
- Siblings – Jamie Murray (Older Brother) (Professional Tennis Player)
- Others – Roy Erskine (Maternal Grandfather) (Professional Footballer)
He is signed with
- XIX Management (Talent Management Company)
- Ace Group (Sports Management Company)
Right-handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
6 ft 1¾ in or 187.5 cm (via Twitter)
84 kg or 185 pounds
Girlfriend / Spouse
Andy Murray dated –
- Kim Sears (2005-Present) – In 2005, Andy started dating the daughter of player-turned-coach Nigel Sears. After dating for almost a decade, the couple got engaged in November 2014. On April 11, 2015, they married at Dunblane Cathedral. The couple has 2 daughters named Sophia Olivia (b. February 7, 2016) and Edie Murray and a son named Teddy Barron Murray (b. 2019). In March 2021, the couple announced the birth of their 4th child.
Race / Ethnicity
In 2009, Andy appeared in Nintendo Wii’s Grand Slam Tennis games commercial.
He has also appeared in commercials for RADO watches, racket maker Head, Penn ball, etc.
He shows his tennis magic in this Head.com video.
On tennis courts, several brands have endorsed Andy Murray such as Adidas (for shoes from 2009 to 2014), shirt sleeve sponsors like Highland Spring, Shiatzy Chen, and Royal Bank of Scotland, Fred Perry apparel, Under Armour, and Head rackets.
Best Known For
Being one of the most consistent players on the tour in tennis.
First Tennis Match
He debuted in tennis professionally in April 2005. At that time, he was ranked world #407.
First Grand Slam Singles Wins
Andy won his singles Grand Slam titles for the first time in the years –
- Australian Open – None
- French Open – None
- Wimbledon – 2013
- US Open – 2012
Andy Murray spends several hours on the court training himself under the supervision of his coach.
In this Instagram video, he is seen doing a session of versa climber at his home after spending 2½ hours on the court.
During a Grand Slam tournament like Wimbledon, he is very careful about his diet. His diet options are limited at that time such as –
- Salmon with rice
- Roast chicken with vegetables and potatoes
- Steak with salad
Andy Murray Favorite Things
- Food – Bruschetta, Pizza Pollo (from Pizza Express)
- Ice-Cream – Haagen-Dazs cookies & cream
- James Bond Film – Goldfinger (1964)
- Film – Braveheart (1995)
- Football Team – Hibernian
- Tennis Player – Fabrice Santoro
Andy Murray Facts
- At 3, Andy started playing tennis.
- At 5, Murray participated in his first competitive tournament and by 8, he started playing league tennis.
- To get better tennis training, he relocated to Barcelona and joined Sánchez-Casal Academy. He practiced there on clay courts.
- Andy was born in Scotland and hence represents Great Britain in tennis professionally.
- Andy was born with a bipartite patella (a problem where bones at the kneecap don’t join together. It remains as 2 separate bones), which was diagnosed at the age of 16.
- Andy is a teetotal (as he doesn’t like the taste of alcohol).
- Andy has released his autobiography called “Hitting Back.”
- Andy’s parents separated when he was 10.
- He has pet dogs named Maggie and Rusty.
- Andy calls himself “boring“.
- Andy became the youngest Briton to play in the Davis Cup when he played it in March 2005.
- He is the co-founder of the Malaria No More UK Leadership Council.
- Andy likes Milky Way cake bars so much that he once loaded many units of it in his supermarket shopping trolley and the lady at checkout couldn’t stop herself from asking Andy’s now-wife Kim Sears, “Do you think these are on special offer or something?”
- At the age of 10, due to a small incident with his older brother Jamie, he hasn’t been able to grow his nail on his left ring finger since then.
- In January 2021, he was tested positive for coronavirus.
- In January 2023, Andy was knocked out of Australian Open 2023 after he lost in straight sets by 1-6 7-6(7) 3-6 4-6 to Roberto Bautista Agut in the 3rd round.
- In May 2023, Andy defeated Tommy Paul in Aix-en-Provence in the final to get his first title in 4 years (since 2019) in the ATP Challenger event.
- In June 2023, Andy won the Lexus Surbiton Trophy by defeating Jurij Rodionov with a scoreline of 6-3, 6-2 in the final match of the tournament. With this, he became the oldest grass-court champion at an ATP Challenger Tour event.