|Anthony Albanese Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||March 2, 1963|
Anthony Albanese is an Australian politician who became the 31st prime minister of Australia in 2022. He became the 1st Italian-Australian to become prime minister, the 1st Australian prime minister to have a non-Anglo-Celtic surname, and the last of the 16 Australian prime ministers who have served under Queen Elizabeth II. In 1996, Anthony Albanese started serving as a member of parliament (MP) for Grayndler and became the leader of the Australian Labor Party (ALP) in 2019. He also served as the 15th deputy prime minister under the second Kevin Rudd government in 2013 as well as held various ministerial positions in the governments of Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard from 2007 to 2013.
Anthony Norman Albanese
St Margaret’s Hospital, Darlinghurst, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
As the prime minister of Australia, he resided at –
- The Lodge in Canberra, Australia (Primary)
- Kirribilli House in Kirribilli, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia (Secondary)
Anthony Albanese studied at St Joseph’s Primary School in Camperdown and later attended St Mary’s Cathedral College.
He studied Economics at the University of Sydney and completed his degree in 1984.
- Father – Carlo Albanese (Steward) (Died in 2014)
- Mother – Maryanne Ellery (Worked part-time as a cleaner) (Died in 2002)
- Siblings – He has 2 paternal half-siblings.
- Others – George Ellery (Maternal Grandfather) (Ran a printing business on William Street in Darlinghurst and provided printing services to the ALP) (Died in 1970), James Williamson (Former Stepfather)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Anthony Albanese has dated –
- Carmel Tebbutt (2000-2019) – He met Carmel Tebbutt in Young Labor during the late 1980s and they got married in the year 2002. They parent a son. The duo separated in January 2019.
- Jodie Haydon (2020-Present) – In 2020, he reportedly started going out with financial services professional and women’s advocate Jodie Haydon. He has revealed that they had met at a dinner event in Melbourne a year after his separation from Carmel Tebbutt.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Italian descent on his father’s side and has Irish roots on his mother’s side.
Salt and Pepper
- Deep-set eyes
- Wears glasses
He has described himself as a “non-practising Catholic”.
Anthony Albanese Facts
- He was raised under the care of his mother and maternal grandparents in a Sydney City Council home in the Inner West suburb of Camperdown, opposite the Camperdown Children’s Hospital.
- As a child, Albanese was told that his father had died in a car accident and he did not meet his father, who was in fact still alive, until 2009. After making contact with his father in 2009, he visited him in Italy many times and also took his family there.
- During his time at the University of Sydney, he became involved in student politics and was elected to the Students’ Representative Council.
- As a student politician, Albanese led a group within Young Labor that was aligned with the left faction’s Hard Left, which maintained “links with broader left-wing groups, such as the Communist Party of Australia, People for Nuclear Disarmament and the African National Congress”.
- He has supported abortion rights as well as has been in favor of legalizing voluntary euthanasia.
- He is a supporter and an advocate for LGBT rights.
- Anthony Albanese became the 1st divorcé to be appointed the prime minister of Australia.
- He has been a lifelong supporter of the South Sydney Rabbitohs rugby league club.
- On January 8, 2021, he was injured in a side collision while driving in Marrickville, New South Wales and underwent treatment at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. He was reportedly “injured externally and internally and had suffered considerable shock in the immediate aftermath of the impact”.
Featured Image by Australian Government / transparency.gov.au / CC BY 4.0