Born Place / Residence
Los Angeles, California, United States
Anthony Anderson went to the Hollywood High School Performing Arts Center and graduated in 1988. He then got enrolled at Howard University where he was granted admission on a talent scholarship.
Actor, comedian, writer, game show host, panelist
- Father – Sterling Bowman (Stepfather) (Worked in steel industry in Los Angeles and also owned three clothing stores)
- Mother – Doris Hancox (Telephone operator and actress)
- Siblings – Derrick Bowman (Half-Brother)
Anthony Anderson is represented by Artist and Brand Management.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
122.5 kg or 270 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Anthony Anderson has dated
- Alvina Stewart – Anthony started going out with Alvina Stewart while they were studying in high school. After dating for years, they got married in 1995. However, their date of marriage is a subject of debate as most tabloids such as TMZ and Daily Mail claim the date to be 1995, while IMDb has listed it as 1999. There are some minor sources that contend they got married in 2005. After being married for 20 years, Alvina filed for divorce in September 2015. Her representative and her court documents revealed that they had separated in April 2014. She had asked for spousal support and was prepared to give Anderson visitation rights to see their children, Nathan and Kyra Anderson. However, in January 2017, Alvina filed documents to get her divorce petition dismissed. By the end of the month, they made their first public appearance since their separation at the SAG awards.
Race / Ethnicity
Anthony has descended from the Bubi people of Bioko Island (Equatorial Guinea). He also counts Tikar, Hausa, and Fulani people of Cameroon among his ancestors.
- Round face
- Gap between front teeth
His body specifications may be –
- Chest – 45 in or 114 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 14 in or 35.5 cm
- Waist – 42 in or 107 cm
Anthony Anderson has done TV commercials for the following
- Miller Lite (2003)
- McDonald’s (2010) (voice)
- Walmart (2014) (appeared alongside Melissa Joan Hart)
- Stand up 2 Cancer (2017)
- ABC Summer of Service Grant Applications (2017)
Best Known For
- Playing the role of NYPD detective Kevin Bernard on the popular legal drama series, Law & Order.
- Having played the leading roles in series like K-Ville and The Shield.
- Playing the lead character in the ABC sitcom, Black-ish. He also serves as an executive producer for the project.
In 1999, Anthony made his theatrical film debut playing the role of Scribbles in the comedy-drama, Liberty Heights.
First TV Show
In 1996, he made his first TV show appearance in the NBC teen sitcom, Hang Time playing the role of Teddy Broadis.
Anthony started making healthy changes to his lifestyle after he was diagnosed with diabetes in 2002. He started hitting the gym and eating healthy foods but he couldn’t clean up his diet completely. When it comes to physical exercise, Anthony enjoys running on the treadmill or getting on the bike. He also enjoys shooting hoops with his son. Plus, he tries to play golf as much as possible.
In 2014, he took his healthy lifestyle to the next level by going on a vegan-ish diet. He was eating plant-based foods but wasn’t fussed about finding some butter or cream in his meals. Even while on the sets, he ensured that he was sticking to his new diet and was only having nuts, fruits, and veggies. And, this diet change helped him shed 47 lbs of weight.
Anthony Anderson Favorite Things
- Dream Dinner Guests – Michael Jackson, Rick James, and Marvin Gaye
- Drink – Red Kool-Aid but with water and almond milk
- Midnight Snack – Whole wheat pita and hummus.
- Death Row Dinner – 36oz bone in medium cooked rib eye, broccolini, lobster mashed potatoes, caesar salad, sweet potato pie and a pitcher of Red Kool-Aid
- Childhood Food – Canned SpaghettiOs
- NFL Player – Reggie Bush
Source – Friday Talks Food, IMDb
Anthony Anderson Facts
- His first attempt at stand-up comedy was disastrous and the experience made a serious dent in his ego. However, while performing, he met comedic actor Guy Torry and he encouraged him to keep going despite the setback.
- After being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, he has worked with diabetes-related charities and foundations to raise awareness about it.
- In 2011, he participated in the TV game show Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and won $250,000 for the Alzheimer’s Association.
- He took acting lessons along with actors like Ossie Davis, Ruby Dee, and Avery Brooks.
- While appearing on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon in August 2017, he revealed that he once lost $300 to Barack Obama, while he was the US president, in a game of golf.
- He was raised in the rough and crime-ridden Compton neighborhood of Los Angeles. He often returns to Compton to inspire the youth to look beyond criminal activities.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Toglenn / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0