|Arie Luyendyk Jr. Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||September 18, 1981|
Arie Luyendyk Jr. is a Dutch auto racing driver who gained fame on TV and social media for getting cast in the Bachelor Nation franchise. Fans often label him as one of the worst bachelors in the history of the dating reality show after he abruptly broke up with the winner of The Bachelor (2018) Becca Kufrin to get engaged to the runner-up Lauren Burnham. He has a huge social media fan base with more than 600k followers on Instagram and more than 300k followers on Twitter.
Arie Luyendyk Jr. (Last name pronounced LION-dike)
Den Bosch (‘s-Hertogenbosch), The Netherlands
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
- Dutch (By Birth)
He studied in Chaparral High School. In his sophomore year, Arie transferred to Desert Mountain High School based in Scottsdale, Arizona and graduated in 2000. He passed his Arizona Real Estate exam in 2016.
Off-road & Indy Lights Race car driver, Broadcast Analyst, Sports Commentator, Real Estate Broker for RE/MAX, Reality TV Personality
- Father – Arie Luijendijk anglicized as Arie Luyendyk aka The Flying Dutchman (Former Race car driver, Chief Steward for IndyCar Series, Winner of Indianapolis 500 in 1990 & 1997)
- Mother – Mieke Luyendyk
- Siblings – Maida Luyendyk (Younger Sister) (Veterinary Technician), Luca Luyendyk (Younger Brother) (VP of Sales and Automotive at With Ease Inc), Alec Luyendyk (Younger Brother)
Arie is represented by –
- Klint Briney, BRANDed MGMT
- Kerrie Shellian (Publicist)
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Arie has dated –
- Cassie Lambert – Cassie is one of Arie’s ex-girlfriends who was a producer on The Bachelorette and got in touch with him for a background check of a fellow race car driver known to Arie. Although Arie gave the other driver a great review, he also recommended himself for the show since he was single. Barely a week before the beginning of filming for Season 8 of The Bachelorette, Arie was asked to join the show as a contestant since the other race car driver in consideration was not available for participation.
- Sonia Rockwell – Arie dated actress Sonia on and off for 5 years during his 20s. She is 3 years older than him. When the couple dated, Arie was traveling frequently owing to his racing career while Sonia was working as a flight attendant. The actress stated that their 5-year erratic relationship was like one long vacation. The reality star even moved to Los Angeles for a brief while to be with Sonia, but the actress admitted that once she started booking acting jobs, it became difficult to sustain their relationship.
- Elizabeth Classen (2007–2010) – Arie dated stuntwoman Elizabeth for nearly 4 years. She shared that the race car driver’s company was enjoyable as he is very charming and romantic. When the couple lived together, Arie was neat and organized and would often cook for Elizabeth. The stuntwoman moved on and has a son named Beckett with her present partner.
- Cassie Harshman (2009–2011) – The reality star formerly lived with Cassie, a yoga instructor for nearly 2 years who was also a single mother to two kids from a previous relationship. Since Arie had to travel a lot being a race car driver, his erratic lifestyle was a perpetual cause of dispute with his then-girlfriend. Their relationship ended when Cassie suffered a miscarriage of Arie’s baby. The Indy Lights driver shared this story with Emily Maynard on The Bachelorette Season 8 and with Lauren Burnham in The Bachelor Season 22 which invited harsh criticism from Cassie. She accused him of using this story to gain sympathy and further added that he participated in the reality show merely for fame and attention.
- Emily Maynard (2012) – Arie had never seen even an episode of The Bachelor or The Bachelorette when he joined the cast of the reality show in Charlotte, North Carolina to compete for Emily Maynard in 2012. He considered his participation in The Bachelorette as time off from racing to review his priorities as he did not have any sponsors for racing season that year. Since he had grown up facing the cameras giving interviews as a race car driver Arie faced no trouble being his authentic self while wooing Emily Maynard. He had meaningful conversations with Emily for the 6 weeks he dated her on the show, although, the reality star complained that most of them were edited out of the broadcast episodes and they were usually shown kissing each other. Arie finished the show as runner-up since Emily chose to give her final Rose to entrepreneur, Jeffery aka Jef Holm. However, Jef and Emily broke up by October 2012. The race car driver confessed in an interview that he could not develop strong feelings for any other women he dated after 2012 as much as the attraction he felt towards Emily which was the primary reason why he agreed to appear on The Bachelor (2018) in Season 22. In Touch magazine reported that Arie was the one to break up with Emily after he found out that he was not the only man she slept with in the fantasy suite as Emily also got intimate with Jef Holm. To save the bachelorette from embarrassment, the producers asked Arie to stage a date scene where Emily broke up with him.
- Karina Smirnoff (2012) – He briefly dated ballroom dancer and Dancing with the Stars professional, Karina Smirnoff in the last quarter of 2012.
- Courtney Robertson (2012–2013) – Courtney is a model and realtor who won Season 16 of The Bachelor and got engaged to the winery owner, Ben Flajnik. Their engagement lasted 11 months. Within a week of her break-up with Ben, Courtney started dating Arie. In her memoir, she confessed that she dated Arie on and off while he also dated another woman at the same time. Before getting started on season 22 as The Bachelor, Arie shared that he continues to remain friends with Courtney and owns the property she rents in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Selma Alameri (2013) – Selma is also a real estate developer who was a contestant on Season 17 of The Bachelor that featured Sean Lowe. He eliminated Selma in 7th place of the show. Arie and Selma connected over the common experience of being Bachelor Nation alumni and dated for a brief period before arriving at a mutual decision to break-up.
- Jenna Jones (2015) – Arie met Arizona based sports reporter, Jenna during a racing event when Jenna was working as a publicist for another driver. The reality star first confirmed his romance with her in 2015. When he was confirmed as the Bachelor for Season 22, his ex-girlfriend stated that he is incapable of staying monogamous. Life and Style Weekly magazine published one of her deleted tweets about Arie that said, “…a dude who claims to be a hopeless romantic but forever cheats on and does despicable wrongs to women.”
- Giustina Lee (2013–2017) – Arie met model Giustina at a Playboy Mansion party in September 2013 and dated her on and off for many years in between courting Jenna and Sydney. The model told Daily Mail that Arie broke up with her 4 times only to renew contact after a while. Both Giustina and Arie introduced each other to their family, but Arie was unwilling to commit beyond casual dating. Giustina was the last woman he got intimate with during a weekend getaway in Las Vegas right before his stint on The Bachelor.
- Sydney Stempfley (2016–2017) – Sydney worked as a secretary/receptionist when she dated Arie for a year between 2016 and 2017. A few weeks after celebrating her 1 year relationship anniversary, she claimed to be blindsided by his decision to end their relationship. Before The Bachelor Season 22 aired, Sydney predicted on Twitter that Arie is likely to face a hard time picking one woman at the end of the show which in a way turned out to be true. Users on social media often express surprise at how much Sydney resembles Emily Maynard and even more so Lauren Burnham referring to the type of appearance Arie tends to prefer. Days later, Sydney confessed to People magazine that she regretted making that Tweet. Ironically, she also auditioned to participate in The Bachelor Season 22 without knowing that Arie was the designated bachelor for that season.
- Rebecca Kufrin (2018) – Also known as Becca, she is a publicist from Minnesota who won The Bachelor Season 22. However, Arie changed his mind and broke up with her before the final episode of the season was broadcast. The show aired raw, unedited footage of their break-up that attracted criticism from ex-contestants and fans of The Bachelor on social media. Spurred by public outrage, Minnesota State Representative Drew Christensen proposed legislation to ban Arie from the state of Minnesota. Other fans raised 6,000 US dollars for Becca on the Venmo application that Becca donated to charity. Anonymous fans also got in touch with OutFront Media to pay for 12 Billboards in Minneapolis, 4 in LA, and 1 Billboard at Times Square, NYC carrying slogans in support of Becca. Becca was cast as the next Bachelorette in Season 14 of the show at the end of which she got engaged to a medical sales representative, Garrett Yrigoyen from Nevada.
- Lauren Burnham (2018–Present) – Arie got engaged for a second time on The Bachelor Season 22 to Tech Salesperson from Virginia, Lauren Burnham in the last episode of the show. Post-engagement, the couple headed for a vacation to Europe. Upon return, Lauren relocated to Arizona to move in with Arie. In May 2018, the couple announced their wedding date during an interview on The View. In November 2018, Lauren found out that she was expecting. The couple revealed the gender of their child through US Weekly in January 2019 confirming the arrival of a baby girl on the way. On January 12, 2019, Lauren and Arie got married at Maui’s historic Haiku Mill in Hawaii. The Bachelor host Chris Harrison conducted the ceremony. Their daughter, Alessi Ren was born on May 29, 2019. In May 2020, the couple revealed that they had suffered a miscarriage and in December 2020, it was announced that they were expecting again, this time twins (1 boy and 1 girl).
Race / Ethnicity
He has Dutch ancestry.
Due to advancing age, his hair has turned ‘Salt and Pepper’.
- Tall and lanky build
- Long, lean face
Some of Aries’s racing sponsors are –
- Hostile Offroad Wheels
- Cooper Tires
- SSi Decals
- Bell Helmets
Arie shared during the filming of The Bachelor (Season 17) that he is non-religious.
Best Known For
Getting cast in ABC network’s dating reality show The Bachelorette Season 8 (2012) and The Bachelor Season 22 (2018)
First TV Show
He made his TV show debut as an Indy Car Driver in an episode of Hell’s Kitchen in 2011.
With a predisposed tendency to stay lean, Arie Jr. has the body type of an ectomorph. He does not share any information about his gym or workout routine but has posted photos describing his fondness for hiking and outdoor cycling.
Before getting married, Arie used to dine outside most days of the week. He enjoys drinking wine and likes to eat at smaller, authentic restaurants in his home town that are not part of any corporate chains.
Arie told GQ magazine that during the filming of The Bachelorette (2012) while other contestants lifted weights every day and drank green juices for breakfast, he would opt for Nutella on French bread along with multiple cups of cappuccinos implying that he is genetically blessed to stay lean.
Arie Luyendyk Jr. Favorite Things
- Restaurants – Fox Restaurants especially Blanco, Postino, The Mission
- Takeout Restaurant – Pita Jungle
- Dinner Date Spots – Dinner at Postino followed by drinks at Kazimierz Wine & Whiskey Bar in Old Town, Scottsdale
- Comfort Food – Grilled cheese
- Non-Alcoholic Beverage – Vita Coconut Water
- Drink While Watching TV – Wine
- City For Racing Events – Sonoma in California for its small restaurants and wineries
- Ideal Food Day For A Date – A picnic
- Cocktail – Ketel and Soda with lime
- Drive – Likes to drive down to Saguaro Lake
- Dog Park – On Chaparral and Hayden
- Hiking Spots – Camelback and Pinnacle Peak
- Karaoke Song – You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling by The Righteous Brothers
Source – PhoenixBites.com, NorthValleyMagazine.com, GQ
Arie Luyendyk Jr. Facts
- His family immigrated to the United States when he was 3 years old.
- He has been living in Scottsdale, Arizona since the age of 9.
- Arie’s grandfather allowed him to sit behind the wheel of a racecar without his father’s knowledge when he was just 14 years old which was the pivotal moment when he decided to pursue a career in racing cars.
- He became a professional driver at the age of 16.
- His first car was a black colored Dodge Stealth that he liked driving fast and rash until it broke down.
- From the age of 16 to 25, Arie got several speeding tickets. After 25, the reality star made a conscious effort to drive calmly on civilian roads because repeatedly paying off speeding tickets became very expensive.
- In October 2008, Arie got arrested for driving with a suspended driver’s license. 6 days later, he got arrested for the 2nd time for driving without a vehicle registration.
- At the peak of his active racing career, Arie traveled 250 days of the year.
- He speaks fluent Dutch. He shared in an interview that a strong Dutch name and cultural background was one of the major reasons he struggled to gain sponsors because his name lacked American marketability. Many fans frequently speculate that his motivation to participate in The Bachelor franchise was to gain mass popularity for a career boost. However, Arie defended his decision stating that his fellow 33-year-old British Indycar champion Dan Wheldon died in a car crash at a racing event in October 2011 that sent Arie into a professional slump. Opportunity to participate in Emily Maynard’s season came to him shortly after, that allowed Arie time off from his routine to reevaluate his priorities.
- The reality star had to lobby for his gig as The Bachelor for many years before getting cast in Season 22. Show producers filmed introductory segments with Arie to cast him in Season 19 of the show, but new network executives replaced him with Chris Soules.
- Arie got his ex-girlfriend Cassie Harshman’s name tattooed on his inner bicep but covered it up with another tattoo of a wing after they broke-up.
- During a visit to London, he saw the musical Les Misérables and connected with the lead character Jean Valjean so much that he got his prison number “24601” tattooed on his forearm.
- With The Bachelor host Chris Harrison, Arie also participated in ABC networks’ Wipeout (2014) and Who Wants to be a Millionaire (2016).
- Arie’s elaborate kissing scenes with Emily Maynard in The Bachelorette Season 8 won him the permanent label of “The Kissing Bandit”.
- He told GQ magazine that he likes watching cheesy dating shows such as 90 Day Fiance, Married at First Sight, and Dating Naked.
- Arie is fond of kids and often volunteers at the Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
- Towards the end of 2020, he was tested positive for coronavirus. However, he got recovered by November end.
Featured Image by Arie Luyendyk Jr. / Instagram