|Azim Premji Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||July 24, 1945|
Azim Premji also referred to as the Indian Business tycoon, is a businessman, philanthropist, and the chairman of one of the leading IT companies, Wipro Limited. He is often known for his dynamic personality and charitable works along with being one of the most influential business leaders in India. Under his guidance, Wipro has expanded and diversified to be one of India’s largest publicly traded companies. He was born to Hashim Premji, who was a successful businessman and founder of Western Indian Vegetable Products Ltd.
Azim Hashim Premji
Bombay, Bombay Presidency, British India
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
He has done his graduation in Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering degree from Stanford University, United States.
Chairman of Wipro
- Father – Hashem Premji (Businessman)
- Others – Rhea Premji (Grandchildren), Rohaan Premji (Grandchildren), Aditi (Daughter-in-Law), Nandhini (Daughter-in-Law)
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
72 kg or 159 kg
Girlfriend / Spouse
Azim Premji has dated –
- Yasmeen Premji – Yasmeen Premji and Azim Premji are married and have 2 sons together.
Race / Ethnicity
He usually keeps a mustache.
Azim Premji Favorite Things
- Food – Dosa
- Businessman – Bill Gates
- Books – Tagore – A life of Learning
Azim Premji Facts
- His father was a renowned businessman and was called Rice King Of Burma.
- His father got an offer from Jinnah to come to Pakistan during partition but he refused.
- He had to leave college in 1966 all of a sudden due to his father’s demise.
- His company Wipro was founded by his father in 1945 in a small town in Maharashtra.
- Other than oil, he has introduced hair care soaps, lightening products, baby toiletries, etc.
- He completed his education degree in 2000, almost 30 years after he left it.
- His company Wipro emerged as a leading IT company in the 1980s.
- He came up with the Azim Premji Foundation in 2001, which aims to give education in rural areas of the country. His foundation covers more than 5000 rural schools across the country.
- He was awarded the Padma Bhushan by the Indian Government for his contribution to trade and commerce in 2005.
- Azim has been featured on the Business Week magazine in 2003 with the title “India’s Tech King”.
- He is considered to be a revolutionary and has been recognized by Business Week as one of the “Greatest Entrepreneurs” who led Wipro to its peak.
- He has donned several hats for his work in charity and is known to give away 39% of his salary for philanthropic work.
- Azim considers his mother as his idol.
- In 2017, India Today magazine placed him at the 9th position in “India’s 50 Most Powerful People of 2017” list.
- He was the first Indian to sign up for The Giving Pledge campaign, a campaign that encourages the wealthiest people to give away most of their wealth to philanthropic causes.
- Azim received a doctorate from the University of Mysore in 2015.
- He is inclined towards charity and wants to do better for society and urges every Indian to do the same.
- He was awarded the honorary doctorate from Wesleyan University in Middletown in 2009.
- Azim received the Padma Vibhushan in the year 2011.
- As of 2019, he was India’s 10th richest man alive.
- Because his father was an established businessman, his childhood was privileged.
Featured Image by World Economic Forum / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0