|Bamba Dieng Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||March 23, 2000|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Bamba Dieng is a Senegalese professional soccer player who has represented, as a forward, Diambars FC (2019-2020) in Senegal, and Olympique de Marseille B (2020-2021) and Olympique de Marseille (2021-Present) in France. Olympique de Marseille B is the reserve team of Olympique de Marseille. At the international level, he represented Senegal at the under-17 tier before making his senior national debut in October 2021. With Senegal, he won the 2021 edition of the Africa Cup of Nations (played in January and February 2022 due to the COVID-19 pandemic). This was the 33rd edition of the biennial international men’s soccer championship of Africa and Senegal won the title for the first time in history. Bamba scored his first international senior-level goal for Senegal in the team’s 2-0 win over Cape Verde in the pre-quarter-final stage of the tournament. He also scored in the penalty shootout (which Senegal won 4-2) in the final match of the tournament, against Egypt.
Cheikh Ahmadou Bamba Mbacke Dieng
Pikine, Dakar Region, Senegal
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Hamath Dieng (Policeman)
- Siblings – Pape Hamidou Dieng (Brother)
- 15, 13, 9, 20 – Senegal
- 13, 12, 9 – Olympique de Marseille B
- 37, 19, 15, 12 – Olympique de Marseille
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Senegalese descent.
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped afro hair
- Affable smile
- Sports a goatee
He has been sponsored by Adidas AG, a German multinational corporation that designs and manufactures shoes, clothing, and accessories.
Bamba Dieng Facts
- Bamba’s youth career began in 2010 when, as a 10-year-old, he joined the youth team of ASC SUNEOR, a club based in Diourbel, Senegal.
- In 2014, he joined the youth system of Diambars FC, a top-flight professional soccer club based in Saly, Senegal. He stayed there until 2019 when he was promoted to the club’s senior team.
- In the 2019-20 season, Bamba scored 12 goals in his first 14 games for the club in the Senegal Premier League, the top tier of the Senegalese soccer league system.
- In February 2021, in his debut match for the French top-flight club Olympique de Marseille, he scored a goal in the 92nd minute of a 2-0 victory over AJ Auxerre in a ‘Round of 64’ match of the 2020-21 season of the Coupe de France (the premier domestic knockout soccer competition in France).
- In Senegal’s 2nd group stage match of the 2022 edition of the FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) World Cup, against hosts Qatar, Bamba scored his team’s final goal (in the 84th minute) to seal a 3-1 victory. It was also just the 2nd international senior-level goal of his career. The win was vital for Senegal as they went on to edge past Ecuador by a 2-1 margin in a tense finish in the teams’ 3rd and final group-stage game, consequently qualifying for the tournament’s knockout stage for just the 2nd time in history.
- The previous and only other such occasion was the 2002 edition of the tournament where the team had stunned the world by reaching the quarter-final stage. That campaign’s highlight was Senegal’s shock 1-0 win over defending champions (and their former colonizers) France, in the teams’ opening group-stage encounter. France was eventually knocked out of the competition in the group stage itself.
Featured Image by Bamba Dieng / Instagram