|Barry Humphries Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||February 17, 1934|
|Date of Death||April 22, 2023|
Barry Humphries was a talented Australian comedian, actor, author, and satirist who found huge popularity by dressing up in drag as the characters Dame Edna Everage and Sir Les Patterson. He was cherished for his Dadaist and absurdist humor and was considered to be ‘the most significant comedian to emerge since Charlie Chaplin‘.
John Barry Humphries
He was born on February 17, 1934.
He passed away on April 22, 2023, in Sydney, New South Wales, at the age of 89 years from complications arising out of a hip replacement surgery.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Barry was educated at the Camberwell Grammar School followed by the Melbourne Grammar School.
He attended the University of Melbourne for 2 years, during which he studied Philosophy, Law, and Fine Arts. However, he dropped out before completing his graduation.
Comedian, Actor, Author, Satirist
- Father – Eric Humphries (Construction Manager)
- Mother – Louisa Agnes (née Brown)
At the time of his death, Barry’s net worth was $12 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
Character Comedy, satire
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
89 kg or 196 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Barry Humphries had dated –
- Brenda Wright – He was married to Brenda Wright for nearly 2 years. The couple welcomed 2 daughters together named Tessa Humphries and Emily Humphries before going their separate ways.
- Rosalind Tong – His 2nd marriage was to Rosalind Tong, during which he fathered a son named Oscar Humphries (b. April 23, 1981).
- Diane Millstead – Diane Millstead became his 3rd wife and she gave birth to their only child, a son named Rupert Humphries.
- Elizabeth Spender (1990-2023) – His fourth and last marriage was to Elizabeth Spender, which lasted from 1990 until his death on April 22, 2023.
Race / Ethnicity
He had English ancestry.
However, his hair had turned ‘Gray’ by the time of his death.
His trademark greeting while dressed as Dame Edna was “Hello Possums”!
Barry Humphries Favorite Things
- Writer – Vladimir Nabokov
Source – Qantas.com
Barry Humphries Facts
- He was an avid art collector and, at one point, owned the largest private collection of Charles Conder’s artworks in the world.
- Barry suffered from Asperger’s syndrome.
- He had worked as a Sunday school teacher in Melbourne for a few years in the 1950s.
- In 2007, Barry was awarded the C.B.E. (Commander of the Order of the British Empire) at Queen Elizabeth II‘s Birthday Honors List for his services to entertainment.
- Joan Rivers was one of his closest friends.
- Barry received an Honorary Doctorate from Griffith University in 1994.
- If he could have had dinner with any 2 famous people, it would have been the writer Vladimir Nabokov and actress Margot Robbie.
- Barry had once said that he would like to be remembered for making people forget about their worries and laugh a little.
- He was a self-proclaimed bibliomaniac and had a collection of nearly 25,000 books, including the rarest and arcane books from the 19th and 20th centuries.
- Barry was also a talented landscape painter.
Featured Image by WTCA / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0