|Baz Luhrmann Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||September 17, 1962|
Baz Luhrmann is an Australian film director, producer, writer, and actor who has directed and written films such as Strictly Ballroom (1992), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Moulin Rouge! (2001), Australia (2008), The Great Gatsby (2013), and Elvis (2022). Except for the first of these, he had also produced/co-produced these films. The first 5 of the aforementioned 6 films earned 12 nominations and 4 wins at the Academy Awards; 30 nominations and 12 wins at the BAFTA Awards; and 7 nominations and 3 wins at the Golden Globe Awards. Besides, Baz served as the director, writer, and executive producer of the musical drama TV series The Get Down (2016–2017).
Mark Anthony Luhrmann
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
New York City, New York, United States
Baz had attended St. Joseph’s Hastings Regional School in Port Macquarie, New South Wales, from 1975 to 1978. He then briefly studied at St. Paul’s College, a diocesan Catholic secondary day school for boys, located in Manly, Sydney, before taking a transfer to the Narrabeen Sports High School, a government-funded co-educational comprehensive and specialist secondary day school located in North Narrabeen, Sydney.
In 1983, about 3 years after his high school graduation, he began an acting course at the National Institute of Dramatic Art (NIDA), a leading Australian center for education and training in the performing arts, based in Sydney. He graduated from there in 1985.
Film Director, Producer, Writer, Actor
- Father – Leonard Luhrmann (Owner of a Petrol Station and a Cinema Theatre) (d. 1999)
- Mother – Barbara Carmel (née Brennan) (Ballroom Dance Teacher, Dress Shop Owner)
- Siblings – Brett Luhrmann (Brother), Chris Luhrmann (Brother)
- Others – William James Luhrmann (Paternal Grandfather), Alice Mary Jones (Paternal Grandmother), Patricia Waterworth (Maternal Grandmother), Angus Martin (Academic) (Father-in-Law), Claude Martin (Academic) (Mother-in-Law), He has a brother-in-law.
Baz Luhrmann’s net worth had been $50 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Baz has dated –
- Catherine Martin (1997–Present) – Baz got married to the Australian costume designer, production designer, set designer, and film producer Catherine Martin on January 26, 1997. They have 2 children together – a daughter named Lillian Amanda Luhrmann (b. October 10, 2003) and a son named William Alexander Luhrmann (b. June 8, 2005).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Irish, English, and German descent.
- Slender frame
- Slightly overgrown, side-parted hair
- Cheerful smile
- Often sports a mustache
Baz Luhrmann Facts
- His nickname, Baz, was given to him during his school days because his hairstyle then reminded his friends of Basil Brush, a fictional red fox, best known for his appearances on daytime British children’s TV programs. The character was primarily portrayed by a glove puppet but has also been depicted in animated cartoons and comic strips. Baz is short for Basil.
- While in high school, he changed his name by deed poll (a legal document binding on a single person or several persons acting jointly to express an intention or create an obligation) to ‘Bazmark’, joining his nickname (Baz) and birth name (Mark Anthony Luhrmann) together.
- In 1980, soon after his high school graduation, he was cast in the Australian drama film titled Winter of Our Dreams. About 2 years later, using the money he had earned from film, Baz founded a theatre group called The Bond Theatre Company.
- Baz often serves as the producer of his films’ musical soundtracks and even holds writing credits on many of the individual tracks/songs. He owns a record label called House of Iona which is a co-venture with the renowned American record label RCA Records.
- In March 1998, he released a studio album titled Something for Everybody that mostly featured music from the films that he had directed until then (Strictly Ballroom (1992) and Romeo + Juliet (1996)), along with the hit track Everybody’s Free (To Wear Sunscreen).
- He was awarded the ‘Australian Centenary Medal’ in the 2001 Queen’s New Years’ Honours List in recognition of his services to the Australian society in film direction and production.
- As of October 2022, Baz was the most commercially successful Australian director, with 4 of his films – Moulin Rouge! (2001), Australia (2008), The Great Gatsby (2013), and Elvis (2022) – featured in the list of the ‘Top 10’ highest worldwide grossing Australian films of all time.
- He is a staunch supporter of the Melbourne Football Club (nicknamed the Demons), a team that competes in the AFL (Australian Football League), the pre-eminent and only fully professional competition of Australian rules football.
- During the 2023 Annual Advanced Imaging Society’s Lumiere Awards, Baz was honored with the “Harold Lloyd Award”. He also received the awards for “Best Musical Scene or Sequence” and “Best Motion Picture (Musical)”.
Featured Image by Baz Luhrmann / Instagram