|Catherine Martin Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||January 26, 1965|
Catherine Martin is an Australian costume designer, production designer, set designer, and film producer who has served as the costume designer and/or production designer for films such as Out of the Body (1989), Strictly Ballroom (1992), Romeo + Juliet (1996), Moulin Rouge! (2001), Australia (2008), The Great Gatsby (2013), and Elvis (2022). At the 2002 Academy Awards, she had won the ‘Best Costume Design’ and ‘Best Production Design’ awards for her work in Moulin Rouge! (2001). She had repeated the feat at the 2014 Academy Awards for her work in The Great Gatsby (2013). These 4 awards had made her the then most decorated Australian artist in Oscars history.
Catherine Agnes Martin
Lindfield, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
New York City, New York, United States
Catherine had attended the North Sydney Girls High School, a government-funded academically selective secondary day school in Sydney. After her high school graduation, she joined the Sydney College of the Arts, a contemporary art school, and a department of the University of Sydney, a public research university. She had studied visual arts there.
Catherine had also studied pattern cutting at the National Art School (then known as the East Sydney Technical College), a tertiary level art school in Darlinghurst, Sydney. She had then attended the National Institute of Dramatic Art (NIDA), a leading Australian center for education and training in the performing arts based in Sydney. There, she attained a diploma in design.
Costume Designer, Production Designer, Set Designer, Film Producer
- Father – Angus Martin (Academic)
- Mother – Claude Martin (Academic)
- Siblings – She has a brother.
- Others – Barbara Carmel (née Brennan) (Mother-in-Law) (Ballroom Dance Teacher, Dress Shop Owner), Leonard Luhrmann (Father-in-Law) (Owner of a Petrol Station and a Cinema Theatre) (d. 1999)
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Catherine has dated –
- Baz Luhrmann (1997–Present) – Catherine got married to Australian film director, writer, and producer Mark Anthony ‘Baz’ Luhrmann on January 26, 1997. They have 2 children together – a daughter named Lillian Amanda Luhrmann (b. October 10, 2003) and a son named William Alexander Luhrmann (b. June 8, 2005).
Race / Ethnicity
She is of English descent on her father’s side and French descent on her mother’s side.
- Slender frame
- Short-cropped, side-parted, neck-length hair
- Charming smile
- Gleaming face
Catherine Martin Facts
- Catherine’s love for fashion and design can be traced to her childhood when she would be absolutely fascinated by the vintage clothing parades occasionally thrown by her grandmother and her church friends.
- Her mother taught her how to use a sewing machine when she was just 6 years old. By the time she had turned 15, she was creating original patterns and dresses.
- In 1999, she was honored by the Australian Film Institute with the ‘Byron Kennedy Award’, an annual award presented by the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts (AACTA) to celebrate Australia’s greatest achievements in film and television.
- She was awarded the ‘Australian Centenary Medal’ in the 2001 Queen’s New Years’ Honours List in recognition of her services to the Australian film industry.
- Between 2016 and 2017, she executive produced 11 episodes of the American musical drama TV series The Get Down.
Featured Image by Catherine Martin / Instagram