|Rohit Bal Quick Info
|5 ft 9 in
|Date of Birth
|May 8, 1961
Rohit Bal is an Indian fashion designer who is widely recognized as one of the finest and most successful couturiers of his era. At the peak of his powers (from the mid-1990s until the mid-2010s), his clientele included several A-listers from both Bollywood and Hollywood – ranging from Deepika Padukone and Aishwarya Rai to Uma Thurman and Pamela Anderson. Among the first Indian fashion designers whose work truly left a mark on the international stage, Rohit’s collections were exhibited at the most prestigious fashion shows held in cities like Paris, New York, London, Singapore, São Paulo, and Munich. Under his eponymous fashion label, he opened flagship stores in several major cities in India, the Middle East, and Europe. Rohit’s work is also well known for the use of lotus and peacock (India’s national flower and bird, respectively) motifs; the utilization of rich fabrics like velvet and brocade; and elaborate hand-embroidery designs inspired by Indian royalty, history, and folklore.
Gudda (Male Doll)
Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir, India
Rohit had attended Woodlands House School and Burn Hall School, both located in his hometown of Srinagar. He later also studied at the Delhi Public School, Mathura Road, a co-educational day and boarding school situated in India’s capital city of New Delhi.
After his high school graduation, he joined St. Stephen’s College, often regarded as one of the most prestigious liberal arts colleges in India. It is a constituent college of the University of Delhi, one of the largest university systems in the world. He graduated from there with a degree in history.
Thereafter, he studied fashion at the New Delhi campus of the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), an autonomous institution that offers courses in fashion design, technology, and management.
- Siblings – Rajiv Bal (Older Brother) (Businessman), Aruna Bal Sharma (Older Sister), Neera Bal (Older Sister)
- Others – Meghna (Niece)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Rohit has dated –
- Inder Baweja
- Lalit Tehlan (2008-2011)
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Indian (Kashmiri Hindu) descent.
He often tends to dye his hair blonde, silver, or platinum.
- Slender frame
- Overgrown, tousled, wavy hair
- Affable smile
- Sports a rugged beard
He has endorsed numerous high-end brands/products including –
- Chivas Regal (a Scottish blended Scotch whisky brand)
- Linen Club (a high-end Indian apparel brand)
- Omega SA (a Swiss luxury watchmaker)
- Mitsubishi Outlander (a Japanese compact crossover sport utility vehicle)
Rohit Bal Facts
- In 1986, not long after attending the National Institute of Fashion Technology in New Delhi, Rohit, in partnership with his brother Rajiv, set up an export company called Orchid Overseas Pvt. Ltd.
- However, he could not keep away from his primary love – fashion design – for too long and launched an eponymous designer label in 1990. His first independent collection was widely appreciated and the floodgates of success opened up for him thereafter.
- Over the next 2 decades, Rohit became one of the most successful fashion designers ever to have emerged out of India – his clientele included several A-listers from both Bollywood and Hollywood, and he opened flagship stores in several major cities across the globe.
- Besides fashion design, he has also ventured into some other business pursuits. In 2006, he launched his first restaurant, Veda, in New Delhi. The experiment was such a success that Condé Nast Traveller (a renowned luxury travel magazine) included this restaurant in its list of the ‘Top 100 Restaurants in the World’.
- Buoyed by this success, Rohit opened a fine-dining Italian restaurant called Cibo. He went on to launch a few more restaurants (branded as branches of Veda) – 2 in Delhi and 1 each in Mumbai and Kolkata.
- In 2008, he collaborated with Kirtilals (an Indian diamond jewelry manufacturer), and his first collection with them, titled Jewelled Garden – the Lotus Collection, was a big hit.
- In November 2023, Rohit was admitted to Medanta Hospital’s ICU in Delhi NCR (Gurugram) and was put on a ventilator. He reportedly had a pre-existing cardiac condition.
Featured Image by Rohit Bal / Instagram