|Uma Thurman Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11¼ in|
|Date of Birth||April 29, 1970|
Uma Thurman is an award-winning American actress, model, voiceover artist, and producer who has been cast in a variety of roles in films ranging from romantic comedies and dramas to science fiction and action films. She gained critical acclaim with her role as Mia Wallace in Pulp Fiction, a performance for which she was nominated for the 1995 Academy Award in the “Actress in a Supporting Role” category.
Uma Karuna Thurman
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Uma went to an elementary school in Almora, Uttarakhand, India. Then, she attended Amherst Regional Middle School in Massachusetts.
She also went to Massachusetts based preparatory school Northfield Mount Hermon School. Later, Uma dropped out to focus fully on her acting career.
Actress, Model, Voiceover Artist, Producer
- Father – Robert Alexander Farrar Thurman (Professor, Buddhist writer and academic)
- Mother – Nena von Schlebrügge (Mexican Model turned psychotherapist)
- Siblings – Dechen Thurman (Brother) (Actor), Ganden Thurman (Brother), Mipam Thurman (Brother) (Model)
- Others – Beverly Reid Thurman, Jr. (Paternal Grandfather) (Associated Press editor and U.N. translator (French and English)), Elizabeth Dean Farrar (Paternal Grandmother) (Stage Actress), Friedrich Karl Johannes Baron von Schlebrügge (Maternal Grandfather) (German Nobleman), Brigit Olga Holmquist (Maternal Grandmother) (Axel Ebbe’s model for Famntaget (“The Embrace”) which is a 1930s statue of a nude woman that overlooks the harbor of Smygehuk in Sweden), Taya Thurman (Older Half-Sister)
She is represented by –
- ICM Partners, Talent and Literary Agency, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Jonathan Sanders & Co, Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom
5 ft 11¼ in or 181 cm
64 kg or 141 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Uma Thurman has dated –
- Steve Bing – She dated businessman and philanthropist Steve Bing in the past.
- Don Johnson (1988) – She had a fling with actor Don Johnson in 1988.
- Phil Joanou (1989) – Film director Phil Joanou and Uma Thurman dated each other for a couple of months in 1989. He is 8 years her senior. She left him for Gary Oldman.
- Robert Plant (1989) – In 1989, she was RUMORed to have had a fling with English musician Robert Plant. He is 22 years her senior.
- Gary Oldman (1989-1992) – English actor Gary Oldman started dating Thurman in July 1989 after meeting her on the set of State of Grace. They married on October 1, 1990. They split after one and a half years in February 1992. Their divorce was finalized on April 30, 1992. There is a 12 years age gap between them, with Thurman being 12 years his junior.
- John Cusack (1992) – Thurman was linked to actor John Cusack in 1992 but nothing was confirmed about the assumptions.
- Richard Gere (1992-1993) – This time Uma dated yet another actor Richard Gere, who is 21 years older than her.
- Robert De Niro (1993) – In 1993, actors Robert De Niro and Uma Thurman were filming “Mad Dog and Glory” together and were RUMORed to be dating at the same time. He is also nearly 27 years her senior.
- Timothy Hutton (1995-1996) – In February 1995, actors Timothy Hutton and Thurman met each other on the set of the 1996 movie Beautiful Girls. They dated for quite some time from March 1995 to January 1996.
- Mick Jagger (1996) – British musician Mick Jagger and Thurman had an encounter in January 1996, when they met at Viper Room Club. Mich was again about 27 years her senior.
- William Sieghart (1996) – She had a short-lived romance with British philanthropist William Sieghart in the year 1996.
- Ethan Hawke (1996-2005) – In February 1996, she started dating actor Ethan Hawke after meeting him on the set of “Gattaca” (1997). They married, after two years of dating on May 1, 1998. She was 7 months pregnant at the time of the wedding. After five years of successful marriage life, the duo split in 2003. Their divorce was finalized in August 2005. She gave birth to the couple’s first child, daughter Maya Ray in 1998, and second child, son Levon in 2002.
- André Balazs (2004-2007) – After splitting with Ethan Hawke in 2003, Thurman started dating Hungarian hotelier Andre Balazs in 2004. They lived together in a New York loft apartment. This relationship also saw an end in March 2006.
- David Wike (2007)
- Arpad Busson (2007-2014) – This time she started dating London-based French financier Arpad Busson in June 2007 and got engaged to him in June 2008. Subsequently, in late 2009, they split. But, reconciled later. This relationship produced a daughter named, Rosalind Arusha Arkadina Altalune Florence Thurman-Busson (nickname Luna), who was born in 2012. They finally called off the engagement in April 2014.
- Quentin Tarantino (2014) – It was rumored that she dated award-winning film director, screenwriter, producer, and actor, Quentin Tarantino, in 2014.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of English, Scots-Irish/Northern Irish, Scottish, and German descent on her father’s side and has German, Swedish, and Danish ancestry on her mother’s side.
- Big Blue Eyes
- Her Face
- Statuesque, model-like figure
- Husky voice
- Her Smile
37-25-36 in or 94-63.5-91.5 cm
6 (US) or 36 (EU)
11 (US) or 8.5 (UK) or 41.5 (EU)
she appeared in TV commercials for Lancôme’s Miracle (2001), Schweppes (2011), Virgin Media (2007), Alfa Romeo ‘Giulietta’ (Italy) car (2010).
Uma had also appeared in print ads for Louis Vuitton, Tag Heuer Swiss watches, and others.
She had a Buddhist upbringing due to her dad being a Buddhist.
She later identified as an agnostic.
Best Known For
Playing Dr. Pamela Isley / Poison Ivy in Batman & Robin (1997), Mia Wallace in Pulp Fiction (1994), and Emma Peel in The Avengers (1998).
She appeared in the 1987 neo-noir psychological thriller film Kiss Daddy Goodnight for her role as Laura.
First TV Show
In 2000, Thurman narrated in The Learning Channel’s documentary and biography program Great Books in an episode titled “Les Miserables.”
Uma Thurman started training for Kill Bill movie after three months of giving birth to her child. It was not easy to start working out so early. The new mom did many types of training like kung fu, sword fighting, knife throwing, and hand-to-hand combat to prepare for her role of Beatrix Kiddo / The Bride. She took the help of personal trainer Christel Smith and worked out 6 days a week to prepare for the role.
She had tried the macrobiotic diet in the past. She eats generally 5 times in a day. Her sample diet plan is as follows –
- Breakfast – Omelet with veggies
- Snack – Whole grain toast along with peanut butter
- Lunch – Cobb salad
- Snack – Vegetable potstickers
- Dinner – Soy lasagna
Uma Thurman Facts
- Uma supports the United States Democratic Party.
- Uma’s dad is a Buddhist and Dalai Lama supporter. So, along with her complete family, Uma has lived in Almora, Uttarakhand, India. Primarily, she was raised in Amherst, Massachusetts, USA.
- Uma Thurman’s first name “Uma” is one of the alternative names of the Hindu goddess Parvati. It means “light” in Sanskrit.
- She first started her career as a model at the age of 15.
- When Uma was 10, she was suggested to have a nose job by her friend’s mom.
- During school, she was teased by her classmates for being an introvert and for having a tall body frame, an unusual name, and an angular bone structure.
- When she was in the 8th standard, she discovered that she wanted to become an actress.
- In Polynesian, her name means “kiss.”
- Uma is the former sister-in-law of Laila Morse.
- By the age of 13, she grew 5 ft 10 inches.
- Thurman was born at 1:51 PM (EDT).
- For the 2007 movie, “Knocked Up”, she was offered the role of Alison Scott but she turned down it. It was then offered to Katherine Heigl and she accepted it.