Gary Leonard Oldman
New Cross, London, England
Los Angeles, United States
Gary Oldman has attended West Greenwich School in Deptford. He left school at the age of 16, owing to financial constraints and instead, worked in a sports shop.
Later, he won a scholarship to attend the Rose Bruford College in Sidcup, South East London. He graduated with a BA in Acting in 1979.
Actor, filmmaker, musician
- Father – Leonard Bertram Oldman (Sailor and Welder)
- Mother – Kathleen (Cheriton) (Homemaker)
- Siblings – Laila Morse (Older Sister) (Actress)
Gary Oldman is attached to Douglas Management Group, Inc.
5 ft 8½ in or 174 cm
159 lbs or 72 kg
Girlfriend / Spouse
Gary Oldman is romantically linked with –
- Cyrinda Foxe – The American actress, model and publicist, Cyrinda Foxe had dated the actor in the past.
- Lesley Manville (1986-1990) – The theatre, film and television actress, Lesley Manville was married to Gary Oldman for four years. The couple got divorced in 1990. They have a son, Alfie Oldman, who was born in 1988.
- Uma Thurman (1989-1992) – Former model and actress, Uma Thurman met Gary Oldman on the sets of 1990 film “State of Grace” and fell in love with him. They started dating while the veteran actor was still married in 1989 to Lesley. On October 1, 1990, they got married, but too divorce after about two years in April 1992.
- Winona Ryder (1992) – It is a RUMOR that the veteran actor had an encounter with the actress Winona Ryder on the sets of “Dracula.”
- Isabella Rossellini (1994-1996) – The Italian actress, filmmaker, author, philanthropist and model, Isabella Rossellini was engaged with Gary Oldman for two years. the relationship didn’t go beyond.
- Donya Fiorentino (1997-2001) – The American photographer and model, Donya Fiorentino married Gary Oldman on February 16, 1997. The couple has two sons, Gulliver Flynn (born – 1997) and Charlie John (born – 1999). They split in April 2001.
- Jayne Middlemiss (2001) – Middlemiss is an English television and radio presenter, who had a brief relationship with Gary Oldman.
- Ailsa Marshall (2002-2005) – The English model and actress, Ailsa Marshall was in a relationship with the actor for three years from 2002 to 2005. She is nearly 20 years his junior.
- Alexandra Edenborough (2007-2015) – Gary Oldman had his fourth marriage with the English singer, Alexandra Edenborough. They started dating in 2007 and got married on December 31, 2008. However, the singer filed for divorce in 2014 and the couple parted ways in January 2015.
Race / Ethnicity
- Deep blue eyes
- Change of appearance and voice with each role
- Acting skills
Gary Oldman’s exact body specifications are not available. His measurements might be –
- Chest – 40 in or 102 cm
- Biceps – 12 in or 30 cm
- Waist – 32 in or 81 cm
Gary Oldman’s shoe size is not known.
Gary Oldman has appeared in the following commercials –
- He appeared in print ads for H&M Clothing (1998) and DKNY (2000).
- He appeared in various TV commercials like ‘One2One’ (2001), ‘Barclays Bank’ with David Sutherland, ‘Nokia N93’ (2006), ‘ITV Football’ (2008) and “Blah, blah, blah” for ‘HTC One smartphone’ (2014).
Believes in Personal Spirituality.
Best Known For
Gary Oldman is known for his performances as Sid Vicious in Sid and Nancy (1986), and Joe Orton in Prick Up Your Ears (1987). He is also known for his role as football firm leader in The Firm (1989).
The actor is also remembered for his appearance as Lee Harvey Oswald in JFK (1991), as Count Dracula in Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992), for portraying Sirius Black in the Harry Potter series, James Gordon in Christopher Nolan‘s The Dark Knight trilogy, and George Smiley in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011).
Gary Oldman first appeared in the 1982 flick Remembrance as Daniel.
First TV Show
Gary first appeared in the episode “On Your Tod” of the ITV Network’s children’s anthology series Dramarama in the year 1984.
Gary Oldman has not employed any personal trainer.
He attributes his slim looks to his genes. He has been known to lose drastic weight for his role in “Sid and Nancy.” He lost about 30 pounds, but the extreme weight loss caused him to get admitted in a hospital.
It is also known that during the days, when Muhammad Ali was fighting with Joe Frazier, Oldman got attracted towards boxing. At that time, he looked more fit in the gym as he was physically more active, doing lots of exercises required to play the sport.
Gary Oldman Favorite Things
- Musical Instrument – Piano
- Music – James Brown, David Bowie, and Chopin
- Meal – Old-fashioned eggs with bacon, bread with cheese and pickle
- Books – Essays on Bertolt Brecht, Poetry by Roger McGough, A biography of Montgomery Clift, The Elizabethan World Picture, all creations by William Shakespeare and Jane Austen.
- Movies – Apocalypse Now (1979), The Conversation (1974), The Godfather: Part II (1974), Badlands (1973), and Ratcatcher (1999)
- Director – Francis Ford Coppola
- Place – New York
Source – Brainy Quote, IMDb
Gary Oldman Facts
- Gary Oldman has been known for his acting skills but he had also written and directed ‘Nil by Mouth’ (1997) based particularly on his own story. The film gave Kathy Burke, the Best Actress prize at the Cannes Film Festival 1997.
- Oldman has problems with alcohol and was once arrested for drunk driving in Los Angeles. He was released on bail on August 9, 1991, the next day of the arrest. His co-passenger was Kiefer Sutherland.
- Oldman tried to get rid of alcoholism during 90s and got himself checked into Marworth treatment facility in Waverly Township, Pennsylvania in 1993.
- Oldman was the member of jury at the Cannes Film Festival in 1993.
- He was ranked #72 by Empire magazine in the 100 Sexiest Stars in Film History list in 2007.
- Oldman applied for higher studies at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts (RADA). He was denied admission and was asked to find a new career other than acting.
- During his early years, Oldman took up various jobs to meet financial needs. He worked on assembly lines, as a porter in operating theatres, sold shoes and worked as a butcher.
- Gary has appeared in David Bowie’s music video ‘David Bowie: The Next Day’ (2013) along with Marion Cotillard.
- Gary Oldman is an alumnus of Royal Shakespeare Company and Royal Court Theatre.
- Gary Oldman has also produced a live performance by Jack White, former member of ‘White Stripes’ in collaboration with Vevo and YouTube.
- He does not have any verified social media accounts like Twitter, Facebook, etc.