Apples are often referred to as a ‘miracle food’ as it helps in preventing a lot of serious diseases. This round, juicy and crunchy fruit is full of nutrients such as vitamin C, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. There are more than 7,500 varieties of apples and all of them are packed with nutrients.
If you eat an apple, you will feel fuller for a long time as it is packed with energy and full of water. You won’t gain weight, but you will get a lot of energy from an apple. You can simply grab an apple after having breakfast or during your snack time. Or, if you are going out, you can carry an apple with you and eat it when you feel hungry.
The health benefits of apple are countless. Hence, it is not possible to list all of them in a single article. So, here we are only going to talk about some of the benefits apples provides that help you to stay healthy and prevent various diseases.
1. Helps in Digestion
Apple has insoluble fiber that doesn’t absorb water. It helps to move the food quickly through your digestive system. It improves our digestive system in the following ways too:
- Apple is rich in dietary fiber and so aids in digestion.
- You won’t have a constipation problem and your bowel movement will be smooth if you have an apple every day.
- There will be less chance of having irritable bowel syndrome as well because of the high amount of fibers present in apples.
- Pectin in apples acts as a Prebiotic that feeds the good bacteria in the gut. The growth of good bacteria in the gut can prevent a lot of diseases.
So, if you often suffer from digestion-related problems, apple can be your perfect remedy. You should include it in your everyday diet.
Other than the insoluble fiber, an apple also contains soluble fiber, like Pectin. It prevents cholesterol formation in the linings of the blood vessels.
- Apple skins contain the Phenolic compound that prevents cholesterol to solidify the walls of your artery walls.
- The level of good cholesterol increases and the bad cholesterol in the body decreases. As the cholesterol level remains in control, there is less risk of high blood pressure.
- Flavonoids in apples also help to lower the blood pressure. So, the chance of having any heart disease decreases.
- It can also prevent the formation of gallstones as the cholesterol level in your bile will remain in control.
Cholesterol is the cause of a number of diseases. So, if you can keep the cholesterol level low by including apple in your diet, you will stay healthy.
3. Respiratory Benefits
Apples contain antioxidants that can help to reduce the risk of asthma by releasing free radicals from the inflamed cells in airways. Apple is considered to be a home remedy for chest congestion, cough, and asthma. Flavonoid Quercetin present in the apple skin reduces inflammation and regulates the immune system that helps to prevent asthma and allergic reactions. It also protects the lungs from oxidative damage.
4. Boosts Brain Health
Eating apple can help to improve cognitive function and prevent dementia. Apples contain the antioxidant compound Quercetin that helps to protect the brain cells. Flavonoids in apples lower the chance of Alzheimer’s disease by repairing the damaged brain cells. It also prevents Parkinson’s disease by preventing the breakdown of the brain’s dopamine-producing nerve cells. If you drink a glass of apple juice every day, then it can slow down the aging of the brain too.
If you include apple in your regular diet, it will help to reduce the risk of having type 2 diabetes by fighting off the oxygen-free radicals. It is loaded with fibers and Pectin that helps to keep the blood sugar levels in control as they help to transport the sugar slowly into the bloodstream.
The Polyphenols in apples also prevent the tissue damage to insulin-producing beta cells present in the pancreas and so helps to keep the sugar level in control. It helps certain enzymes to transform into sugar rather than starch and so helps in providing energy. Apple is a very healthy snack for those who are suffering from type 2 diabetes.
6. Weight Loss
When you eat an apple, you will feel fuller as it is full of fiber and water; however, you will be adding only a few calories. Apart from reducing the calorie intake, eating apples will kill hunger pangs as well. So, the accumulated fats will start to burn and you will lose weight. Apples can help to fight against obesity. Being overweight can lead to various diseases like stroke, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, etc. So, you need to control your weight and apple can help you to do so.
7. Good for the Eyes and Teeth
Apples are very good for your eyes and dental health. You will be surprised to know how it can improve your eyesight and teeth. Here are some examples:
- Apples are full of antioxidants that prevent the development of cataract.
- It also contains vitamin A that improves vision and lowers the symptoms of night blindness in children.
- Apples are also good for dental health. When you bite and chew apple, it increases the secretion of saliva inside the mouth and slows down tooth decay.
- It can also reduce the chance of bad breath.
- It removes plaque and acts as a natural exfoliate to get rid of the stains off the teeth.
You should let your child eat at least one apple a day as it is very good for eyesight. Adults should also eat apple regularly to keep their eyes and teeth healthy.
8. Improves Skin and Hair
Apple has proved to be very good for the skin and hair. It is used in various skin care and hair products as one of the primary ingredients. Here are some amazing things Apple can do to your skin and hair:
- It can brighten your skin and can keep your skin flawless and youthful.
- It also cleanses and hydrates your skin. You can take a slice of apple and apply the juice on your face for a fresher looking skin.
- It can be used as an anti-aging mask that lifts the dull and wrinkled skin.
- Apple has UVB defending particles that provide protection from the sun’s harmful rays.
- If you mix mashed apple with milk cream and apply on your face, you can get relief from skin problems like acne, sunburns, blemishes, etc.
- It also acts as a toner to stimulate blood circulation and tighten the skin.
- If you put slices of apples under your eyes, it can reduce puffy eyes and dark circles.
- There are lots of nutrients in an apple that can boost hair growth and it can make the hair thick and strong. Biotin in apple is a natural growth steroid for hair.
- You can also get long and lustrous hair by eating an apple as it has the compound Procyanidin B-2 that stimulates hair growth.
- Apple contains vitamins and antioxidants that prevent hair fall.
- If you apply apple juice topically on your scalp, it can prevent dandruff and other scalp problems.
9. Boosts Immune System
Apple contains an antioxidant called Quercetin that boosts the immune system. It also contains vitamin C that has anti-inflammatory properties. Apple is full of fibers that enhance the immune system. So, you will have fewer diseases and will be able to recover from any illness fast. You must have at least one apple every day so that you don’t need to visit a doctor very often.
10. Can Prevent Cancer
Apple has anti-cancer properties and can prevent various types of cancers including pancreatic cancer, skin cancer, breast cancer, etc. Apple peels contain compounds called Triterpenoids that prevent the growth of cancerous cells in the body. Oligosaccharides that is found in apple can kill cancer cells. Vitamin A in apples reduces the risk of skin cancer. If you eat apples regularly, it can prevent mammary tumors as well.
Overall, Apple has everything you need to be healthy and stay away from various diseases. You will find different varieties of apples in stores at any time of the year. When buying apples, you should select them depending on the color. The color of the apple must be rich and vibrant, and there shouldn’t be any browning near the core.
It is also better to eat a whole apple rather than drinking apple juice. Whole apples have more dietary fiber than the juice, and so are more beneficial. When eating an apple, you shouldn’t leave out the skin as it is very nutritious. You can add apple to salads or make desserts like apple pie if you don’t like eating the whole apple.
Apple is one of the most nutritious fruits you will find. So, you should include it in your everyday diet. You should make it a habit to eat one apple a day to get all the health benefits from it.