Peanut butter is a favorite spread among both children and adults. It’s tasty and full of nutrients that are very good for health. It can help you lose weight, regulate your blood sugar levels, and offer various other health benefits as well. Peanut butter has been a staple in North American home for over 131 years. According to the National Peanut Board, you will find a jar of peanut butter in more than 90% of U.S. households.
Peanut butter is an unprocessed food which is made from roasted peanuts that are ground until they turn into a paste. Many commercial brands, however, add sugar, vegetable oil, and other ingredients to make it tastier. You should consume peanut butter for the following health benefits:
1. It is Packed with Nutrients
Peanut butter is an excellent source of protein, vitamins, and minerals. It provides a plethora of nutrients that help to keep the body healthy.
- Peanut butter contains abundant protein that provides energy.
- It is low in carbs and so is ideal for a low-carb diet. It will help you lose weight and control your blood sugar levels.
- It contains monosaturated fats that improve insulin sensitivity and reduces the risk of various chronic diseases.
- It is rich in antioxidants, like Resveratrol, which helps to reduce the risk of arthritis, heart disease, and other chronic diseases.
- It contains fiber that makes you feel fuller for a long time.
- It contains manganese that helps to activate the enzymes that are involved in getting rid of the toxic ammonia from the body and protect the cells from physiological stress.
- It has a high amount of vitamin B3 or Niacin that supports metabolism and promotes healthy cell communication.
- It is a fantastic source of potassium that helps to keep the central nervous system in order.
Peanut butter contains so many essential nutrients that it can be called a superfood. You will be able to prevent the occurrence of a lot of diseases by consuming peanut butter regularly.
2. Improves Heart Health
Peanut butter contains heart-healthy fat content that helps to lower the levels of harmful cholesterol in the body and so reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Compounds present in peanut butter can slow down the development of atherosclerosis that narrows artery.
- Peanut butter contains Resveratrol, Flavonoids, Phenolic acids, and Phytosterols that stop the absorption of cholesterol from the diet.
- Fats present in peanut butter are not saturated and so doesn’t put the heart at any risk.
- It contains unsaturated fats that help to lower the bad cholesterol levels and increases the good cholesterol levels in the body.
By including peanut butter in your regular diet, you will not only be able to keep your heart healthy but will also be able to lower the risk of death from cardiovascular disease.
3. Maintain Good Body Weight
Being overweight can cause various diseases. Many people are now obese in this world due to bad food habits. Peanut butter can help to maintain a good body weight so that you can remain healthy.
- Peanut butter is full of fiber that can make you feel full for longer, so you will be eating less and losing weight.
- It helps to reduce appetite and so you will be able to resist the temptation to eat more. You will be satiated between meals and won’t consume unhealthy snacks in between meals.
- It contains healthy fat and high protein content that helps to prevent frequent hunger.
- Some people are too skinny and suffer from various illnesses. Peanut butter can increase your calorie intake and you can gain weight.
Eating peanut butter can reduce the risk of being overweight. It can help you to maintain a healthy body weight so that you can remain healthy.
4. Lowers the Chance of Diabetes
If you consume only one ounce of peanut butter for 5 days a week, then you can lower the chance of developing diabetes considerably.
- Peanut butter is a great source of magnesium that helps to regulate the blood sugar levels.
- It slows down the absorption of glucose and minimizes insulin spikes.
- It helps to stabilize blood sugar levels and reduce the chances of any diabetic complications.
- It contains unsaturated fats that improve insulin sensitivity and lower the risk of type 2 diabetes.
If you want to lower the chance of diabetes, you should include peanut butter in your diet. It will help you to maintain a healthy weight and regulate blood sugar levels.
5. Reduces Risk of Cancer
If you eat peanut butter regularly from a very young age, then the chance of having cancer will be lower. It can prevent a number of cancers.
- Peanut butter can lower the risk of benign breast disease that increases the risk of breast cancer.
- It is an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants that can lower the risk of colorectal cancer.
- It contains B-sitosterol, a Phytosterol, that can fight against various types of cancers including breast cancer, prostate cancer, and colon cancer.
So, if you want to reduce the risk of cancer, you should include peanut butter in your diet. Those who eat peanut butter from an early age have a much lower risk of cancer.
6. Get Energy Boost
Peanut butter is packed with protein, fiber and healthy fat that can give you the kick you need to start off your day. It can also give you the midday energy you need to keep going for the rest of the day. Protein and fiber found in peanut butter can help to stabilize insulin levels to ensure that you have a constant energy supply for many hours. You should include peanut butter for breakfast to get the necessary calories to stay energized for the whole day.
7. Good for the Bones and Muscles
Peanut butter has a high content of magnesium which is an essential mineral that the body needs as it can power more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It can help in the formation of strong bones and muscles and help to maintain a healthy nervous system as well. It contains a high amount of protein that can also help you to build and repair muscles.
8. Promotes Brain Health and Reduces Stress
Peanuts contain vitamins and unsaturated fats that are important for brain health. It can also help to reduce levels of stress and keep your brain calm.
- Peanut butter can improve memory, cognition, and recall.
- It can healthy sleep and make you feel relaxed.
- It has beneficial nutrients that can prevent Alzheimer’s disease.
- It contains a Phytosterol known as Beta-sitosterol that can help normalize the high cortisol levels and so reduce stress and manage anxiety.
- As we grow old, we are subjected to some degree of cognitive decline and regular consumption of peanut butter can slow down the rate of cognitive decline.
The monosaturated fats in peanuts can promote brain health and its antioxidative and anti-inflammatory properties can reduce stress.
9. Reduces Risk of Gallstones
Gallstones are a common problem that affects many people today. It mainly occurs in people who follow a low-fat diet or crash diet. Peanut butter has high-fat content, yet will help to maintain good body weight. If you eat peanut butter, there will be enough cholesterol in the blood that will act as a solvent and prevent the gallstones from forming. So, by consuming peanut butter regularly, you will have a lower risk of gallstones.
10. Helps to Maintain Healthy Skin
Peanut butter contains lots of vitamin E that is necessary for maintaining good skin health. Vitamin E in peanut butter helps to retain moisture in the skin and so prevents scaly patches or cracking from occurring. It also helps to reduce the harmful effect of the sun on the skin. Your skin will look moisturized and more radiant if you consume peanut butter regularly.
Peanut butter is delicious and it provides a lot of health benefits. You should buy peanut butter that doesn’t contain added sugar. Some people may be allergic to peanut butter, so it might be a good idea to consult a doctor before consuming it. You should take it in moderation so that it doesn’t cause any adverse reaction to your body. So, start adding peanut butter to your breakfast every day and get all the wonderful health benefits from you.